Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 2012 Storm Threats and Discussion

PhineasC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today didn't sneak up on us--several posters (and not referring to useless weenies) pointed out the potential.

Oh, abosultely. If HM was running for President I would vote for him. I was just saying it snuck up on us in relation to model guidance just 5+ days ago.

We're all waiting for models to show and verify the classic gulf low track the coast or the potent clipper to swing through from 7 days out but instead we got to enjoy a pretty weak little wave and a super marginal airmass put down a thin blanket of white (against the odds at that).

With the 18z GFS showing snow in part of the area, the 12z Euro showing snow in part of the area, and the 0z NAM trending ever so slightly colder both aloft and at the surface, I think there's a small chance Wed/Wed night. It seems to me that in the past this particular type of system tends to trend colder on the models as it gets closer. There is a decent high pressure being modeled over Maine on the NAM and slightly north of Maine on the GFS. I know I'll get laughed at, but, as Ian said, my glass is always running over. :P

With the 18z GFS showing snow in part of the area, the 12z Euro showing snow in part of the area, and the 0z NAM trending ever so slightly colder both aloft and at the surface, I think there's a small chance Wed/Wed night. It seems to me that in the past this particular type of system tends to trend colder on the models as it gets closer. There is a decent high pressure being modeled over Maine on the NAM and slightly north of Maine on the GFS. I know I'll get laughed at, but, as Ian said, my glass is always running over. :P

the mtns could definitely see some snow. the euro was not that snowy a look tho even there. you are probably more confident than i am the primary dies out fast enough for the secondary to help you a lot of help but i think it's known im a cynic... maybe the tide has turned. if we ever have a true snow season we're in it now.

Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon

Jan 10 Jan 11 Jan 12 Jan 13 Jan 14 Jan 15 Jan 16

Weather:

Description: Mostly

sunny.

Cool. Lots of

rain.

Increasing

cloudiness.

Chilly. Heavy rain

early.

Overcast.

Cool. Showers

early.

Partly

cloudy.

Cool. A mixture

of sun and

clouds.

Chilly. Light icy

mix late.

Decreasing

cloudiness.

Chilly. Icy mix.

Scattered

clouds.

Cool.

High temperature: 50 °F 46 °F 53 °F 45 °F 39 °F 40 °F 40 °F

Low temperature: 33 °F 33 °F 43 °F 31 °F 28 °F 30 °F 29 °F

Comfort level: 44 °F 41 °F 50 °F 30 °F 29 °F 34 °F 32 °F

Wind Speed: 10 mph 7 mph 7 mph 16 mph 14 mph 7 mph 10 mph

Wind Direction:

Humidity: 47% 68% 67% 41% 38% 49% 56%

UV Index: 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low)

Chance of Rain: 3% 73% 91% 57% 16% 33% 80%

Amount Rain: - 0.51" 0.51" 0.10" - 0.08" 1.00"

Sunrise: 7:27 AM 7:27 AM 7:26 AM 7:26 AM 7:26 AM 7:25 AM 7:25 AM

Sunset: 5:05 PM 5:06 PM 5:07 PM 5:08 PM 5:09 PM 5:10 PM 5:11 PM

Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue

Jan 17 Jan 18 Jan 19 Jan 20 Jan 21 Jan 22 Jan 23 Jan 24

Weather:

Description: Flurries

early.

Partly

cloudy.

Chilly. More sun

than

clouds.

Chilly. Mostly

cloudy.

Cold. Sprinkles

late.

Mostly

cloudy.

Chilly. More clouds

than sun.

Cool. Rain

changing to

snow.

Mostly

cloudy.

Cool. Snow early.

Mostly

cloudy.

Chilly. Mostly

sunny.

Cold.

High temperature: 41 °F 38 °F 30 °F 37 °F 46 °F 46 °F 34 °F 14 °F

Low temperature: 27 °F 23 °F 16 °F 17 °F 32 °F 29 °F 2 °F -1 °F

Comfort level: 33 °F 28 °F 25 °F 30 °F 41 °F 38 °F 20 °F -4 °F

Wind Speed: 14 mph 21 mph 5 mph 10 mph 12 mph 24 mph 27 mph 21 mph

Wind Direction:

Humidity: 78% 68% 73% 80% 85% 82% 79% 78%

UV Index: 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low) 0 (Low)

Chance of Rain/Snow: 15% 10% 33% 26% 21% 94% 68% 10%

Amount Rain: 0.05" - - 0.06" - 0.62" 0.34" -

Amount Snow: 0.48" - - 0.69" - 5.40" 10.18" -

Sunrise: 7:25 AM 7:24 AM 7:24 AM 7:23 AM 7:23 AM 7:22 AM 7:22 AM 7:21 AM

Sunset: 5:12 PM 5:13 PM 5:14 PM 5:15 PM 5:16 PM 5:17 PM 5:19 PM  

Weather provided by CustomWeather, copyright 2011

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/washington-dc/ext

Funny or just crazy, calling for 15in+ of snow in a 2 day event on Sunday January 22-23. I laugh when I see this 2 week already putting that amount even out. This is not even a replicable weather center, but I am wondering who is smoking the crack for this far out. LOL

the mtns could definitely see some snow. the euro was not that snowy a look tho even there. you are probably more confident than i am the primary dies out fast enough for the secondary to help you a lot of help but i think it's known im a cynic... maybe the tide has turned. if we ever have a true snow season we're in it now.

Nah, I'm no where near confident. I just really like the surprise, unlikely event chances. Like the snow we had here in Winchester last week, like the one you guys had to day, which, from what I could see on traffic cams, was a nice pretty snow in some areas.

Just yesterday, I was watching the event for today, and then having to look a long way out in time to see another chance. I find it to be a lot of fun when one turns from an absolute impossibility to even a small chance in such a short period of model runs. Even if it doesn't work out 98% of the time, that 2% sure is lot of fun. In fact, I think I enjoy these types more than the locked in big ones. I'm always afraid of the huge disappointment with those.

00z NAM has a HUGE ridge out in the Pacific Ocean just west of the West Coast at 84 hrs FWIW

So like, a ridge in that ocean on the left side of the map is like, good and stuff right? :blahblah:

I have no maps, and nothing useful to offer any of you.

Hey guys, just wanted to take time before the 0z GFS to say hello and tell you I've recently relocated to Georgetown from NC. I'm back and forth moving stuff so I'll most likely be in which ever location will provide me any snow in the upcoming threat. I'm gonna be joining in over here from the SE forum. I was a member on eastern for 4 years so I recognize most of you. Anyway, heres to a great latter half of winter going forward. Cheers!

120 on h5 looks interesting... good s/w near the GOM and nothing came of it

Nothing through 150... so the 18z fantasy storm went away

Alot of energy digging down this weekend and not a bad setup. Something to watch, wouldn't take much of a change to get another surprise event as we get closer in.

The GFS lost the storm entirely. It didn't go OTS or anything. It just disappeared. Gone without a trace. Back to moping for the weenies.

when the gfs is the only one showing it and the euro has nothing it's sorta hard to buy usually.. maybe today's snow made people too excited. there is still potential there but i doubt it will be easy even if things are more favorable generally.

Alot of energy digging down this weekend and not a bad setup. Something to watch, wouldn't take much of a change to get another surprise event as we get closer in.

flow is so fast there is always another strong s/w on the heels. there is no room for it to amplify. when/if the southern s/w finally ejects it seems there will be some threat. the gfs is still doing it now more on target with the euro. we'll need a good deal of extra luck prior to that it would seem.

Leave it to the GFS.....delayed, but not denied. Had something brewing at 180-192. Then resolution dropped and the whole thing crapped out. It's all about the energy in the southwest ----if and when it marches east. After that "threat" (7-10 days from now), it probably will turn milder here for a week or so. February looks to be the interesting month here.

MDstorm

when the gfs is the only one showing it and the euro has nothing it's sorta hard to buy usually.. maybe today's snow made people too excited. there is still potential there but i doubt it will be easy even if things are more favorable generally.

I think people are rushing the transition. I think by near the end of the month a legit threat will emerge. There will be a few false alarms before then and perhaps a SNE blizzard or three.

I think people are rushing the transition. I think by near the end of the month a legit threat will emerge. There will be a few false alarms before then and perhaps a SNE blizzard or three.

possibly. tho we probably want more stuff like today just hopefully wetter and norther (for you) if we're being realistic. i guess i still don't believe "the change" will work wonders for us. we should just try to cash in on climo as much as possible--now's the time to do it.

The thing that has had and continues to have my attention over the next week or so is the weak 500mb high anomaly that moves from western Canada toward the Hudson Bay this weekend. While this isn't your conventional block (usually a retrograding -NAO anomaly to the Hudson Bay), it will arrive to a similar point to the more conventional styled anomalies. It is at least a mild form of a teleconnection that at least gives the next week a fighting chance for something to happen.

Archived