e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December Observation/ Weather Banter

ski MRG

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I totally agree you do realize OT plays a part in that right? How would you like it if someone from your staff or let's say your NWS Office walked up to you at a meeting and said "hey you participate in this site where they're talking about co** rings and everything else in OT"....

You guys are all drawing some distinction between OT and the subforums as if it matters. I'm going to guess it doesn't. It's like going to a strip joint to use the wifi on company time. Not quite the same as going to Starbucks. Let's face it there's a ton of us here on not our own personal time. That's all fine, but I fail to see this false mental construction that separates the weather side from OT. IMO it doesn't matter and moderating that less isn't going to solve anything.

I guess I could see that being an issue...but the vast majority of the posters on this site don't even go into OT. And you can't even view that unless you're a member.

Well this is suppose to be the weather side banter thread and most of the things being discussed in here is the OT stuff that is suppose not be talked about, Mods should have left the pin topic open for all the questions and concerns that the board members have instead of locking it up and having it spill into here, Or start a seperate thread for the discussion.

There is way more then 3 problems in there, And some should even know better...

While that could be true, its not like some of the SNErs haven't taken part in it as well, so don't claim that its the MA or some other group out to get you. Before the mods started cleaning stuff up in here, I saw (and even I once or twice took part in cause I admit I found it funny and fun) crude posts. Even the mets and Will (I think he did) did it once or twice for fun. Some of the SNErs are trying to turn this into a "woe is me" kind of thing. Its not. There are weenies/silly posters in all the forums, including the MA forum. If you guys don't want to post in the OT fourm, that's your right. But don't be complaining in here about posters in OT cause you don't want to post in there.

Diane, why are your posts always a +10000 for the most part? I firmly agree with you.

I often times will appear in the SNE threads not to troll, cause I know you guys have some of the best mets on the board up here -- CoastalWx, ORH, just to name a few. I read them cause they are very knowledgeable and they often have helped me in deciphering the models or the ole saying "How much snow for Philly?" (really for DC :P )

Hopefully this conforms with the new rules in the NE threads :P

While that could be true, its not like some of the SNErs haven't taken part in it as well, so don't claim that its the MA or some other group out to get you. Before the mods started cleaning stuff up in here, I saw (and even I once or twice took part in cause I admit I found it funny and fun) crude posts. Even the mets and Will (I think he did) did it once or twice for fun. Some of the SNErs are trying to turn this into a "woe is me" kind of thing. Its not. There are weenies/silly posters in all the forums, including the MA forum. If you guys don't want to post in the OT fourm, that's your right. But don't be complaining in here about posters in OT cause you don't want to post in there.

Diane, why are your posts always a +10000 for the most part? I firmly agree with you.

I often times will appear in the SNE threads not to troll, cause I know you guys have some of the best mets on the board up here -- CoastalWx, ORH, just to name a few. I read them cause they are very knowledgeable and they often have helped me in deciphering the models or the ole saying "How much snow for Philly?" (really for DC tongue.png )

Hopefully this conforms with the new rules in the NE threads tongue.png

Dude..she doesn't want to go on a date with you

But that obviously cannot resist the temptation to post.

I'm with Kev, shut down OT. 4x the number of non-weather topics created versus the weather side and yet the little subforum is the problem.

Shutting it down is a tempting thought.

It would please me to know the termites there have been fumigated.

Vim Toot!

there's a complete disconnect between OT and SNE moderation...there aren't even the same issue. The only time i've seen issues spill over is someone from SNE posts stuff from the OT side of the board. I think Randy is being legit here...some of that crude **** that's posted is funny...but there is some concern about it's appropriateness. What's good for the 15 or so regular posters might not be the best way to facilitate growth of quality posters and meteorologists. I can see how those types of jokes would be disconcerting for a professional and cause them to not to add their thoughts.

Nick, cute little hypothesis and while it is very feasible, it's simply not the case.

It sounds cool to say in order to champion your stance, but it's pretty widely known that our subforum has possibly the highest quality dialogue on hte board intertwined with the sarcasm and friendly ribbing.

Apparently Hitler ;locked all of the banter threads, so I posted this here.

I often times will appear in the SNE threads not to troll, cause I know you guys have some of the best mets on the board up here -- CoastalWx, ORH, just to name a few. I read them cause they are very knowledgeable and they often have helped me in deciphering the models or the ole saying "How much snow for Philly?" (really for DC tongue.png )

Hopefully this conforms with the new rules in the NE threads tongue.png

Just to set things straight, I made no mention of any region in my post, Just a general statement that there are other problems on the OT, If there are some from this region in there stirring things up then they are part of the other problems in there as well

there's a complete disconnect between OT and SNE moderation...there aren't even the same issue. The only time i've seen issues spill over is someone from SNE posts stuff from the OT side of the board. I think Randy is being legit here...some of that crude **** that's posted is funny...but there is some concern about it's appropriateness. What's good for the 15 or so regular posters might not be the best way to facilitate growth of quality posters and meteorologists. I can see how those types of jokes would be disconcerting for a professional and cause them to not to add their thoughts.

I addressed Nick's asertion in My December cancel thread.

I work in a middle school with 13 year olds. There is more drama on this board than at my job...too funny.

Anyway, BOX giving me a chance of snow early Thursday morning. Very exciting.

It seems the cold has been overperforming a little. I have been coming in 2-4 degrees below my p-n-c the last few days.

Won't complain.

Bob (and other mods/admins), good luck! Hope it all works out somehow.

You guys should let the OT stuff go...you have had your say. If you want to continue it longer, then go over to actual OT.

If you want to discuss some rules feedback in here, then that is fine, but I think we will just be recycling what we've already gone over for hours starting last night.

You guys should let the OT stuff go...you have had your say. If you want to continue it longer, then go over to actual OT.

If you want to discuss some rules feedback in here, then that is fine, but I think we will just be recycling what we've already gone over for hours starting last night.

it's one thing to "let OT go", but when OT comes in here in the form of non-SNE members coming in just to stir the pot and say hurtful things it is kind of difficult. I asked for an OT ban to "let it go" but I still get derogatory PMs from people who I haven't interacted with in months, kush just made a suicide joke to me.

I mean, it's kind of hard to avoid it when it comes looking for you. But, i digress. I know you guys are working on it, so back to wx I say.

Nick, cute little hypothesis and while it is very feasible, it's simply not the case.

It sounds cool to say in order to champion your stance, but it's pretty widely known that our subforum has possibly the highest quality dialogue on hte board intertwined with the sarcasm and friendly ribbing.

Apparently Hitler ;locked all of the banter threads, so I posted this here.

I don't disagree that there is plenty of high quality dialogue in SNE...only that I could see how that type of language could be off putting to an outsider. I'd like to have more mets on here..and it's very possible those jokes are not the reason...and it's just that there is only so much of a pool of talent for weather message board posters.

Idk...it's something that I posted in the sexism thread last month in OT...since I didn't see any other clear examples of sexism...I thought that locker room type jokes could be unwelcoming to females.

it's one thing to "let OT go", but when OT comes in here in the form of non-SNE members coming in just to stir the pot and say hurtful things it is kind of difficult. I asked for an OT ban to "let it go" but I still get derogatory PMs from people who I haven't interacted with in months, kush just made a suicide joke to me.

I mean, it's kind of hard to avoid it when it comes looking for you. But, i digress. I know you guys are working on it, so back to wx I say.

And he's now banned, it got handled.

We deleted their posts...let it go. We aren't blind...we will delete those obviously offensive posts and take the action needed.

I don't disagree that there is plenty of high quality dialogue in SNE...only that I could see how that type of language could be off putting to an outsider. I'd like to have more mets on here..and it's very possible those jokes are not the reason...and it's just that there is only so much of a pool of talent for weather message board posters.

Idk...it's something that I posted in the sexism thread last month in OT...since I didn't see any other clear examples of sexism...I thought that locker room type jokes could be unwelcoming to females.

We already have plenty of posters....and as far as women being turned off, there was a great dearth of women posting in wx forums loooooong before I posted my first cyber bun, bro.

Most of these potential nebies will only be on during high traffic times, anyway....which is when we really tone that crap done.

Debbie the soccer mom is not checking out AMWX from her balckberry in her minivan in order to tell whether it's going to be 48 or 44* for a high; she gives not a flying fu**.

Archived