Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December Observation/ Weather Banter

ski MRG

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the best way to combat that is for the big posters to do a better job posting in different threads. No reason to post a list of demands that includes no responding with smiley faces. I mean come on.

Well we said that banter posts will be moved or deleted if in the wrong thread...I would hope we don't have to do that and the big post count posters here will actually not put us in that position and do a good job of putting the high substance posts in the threat or more hardcore wx thread and the banter to the banter thread.

What's wrong with cutting down on posts that add nothing in a storm threat thread? They are always bothersome to dig through even if not all of us express it in a loud fashion.

Wil, the way you regulate is perfect....we always respect when you feel it is getting out of hand and cool it....now I fear Bob is just going to get outta control and I'm not alone.

Not sure why things have to change,

Exactly seen it coming a mile away. Lock it up someone posts if you do not like it you can leave.

Wil, the way you regulate is perfect....we always respect when you feel it is getting out of hand and cool it....now I fear Bob is just going to get outta control and I'm not alone.

Not sure why things have to change,

The previous way tended to work more effectively when we had far fewer posters than we do now. You might have not noticed it, but just going back to the threads from say...2007-2008...and now, we have a much much higher post frequency in our threads. Eventually volume becomes an issue and we have to be a bit stricter with the quality in the non-banter threads. Back with fewer posters, it was fine to just ignore a couple or three one liner posts on a page...but now that equals 12 of them with today's forum population.

I can understand if they want to enforce the no banter rule in the dedicated threads such as the storm threads, the pattern change thread. Now I guess we can't even banter in the banter thread unless it is wx related.

Well if this is actually strictly enforced, I predict most would migrate to OT and take a lot of their wx discussion over there also - because it is too impractical to keep jumping back an forth between the wx side and OT all the time. The wx banter thread can just move to OT then where it won't be policed.

It was but we have not shed the superthread mentality. Banter thread was originally for weather related banter....I'm not sure why that is an issue on the wx side of the board.

That is why the suggestion was split up a storm threat into 2 threads. I'm all for more than 2 threads ion a storm threat, but we can't even really do two at the moment effectively. We all simply end up back in one superthread filled with tons of banter...which is fine if you are online refreshing as it goes but not everyone can do that. It caters to the most frequent and vocal posters on here but that is not necessarily the majority of people who try to enjoy this forum.

I'm sure we'll have to do some trial and error...the rules can be changed or bent or whatever...for now they are suggestions mainly, but we will be actively trying to keep banter to its own thread....which shouldn't be a huge problem in this boring pattern.

I will agree with this.

If you look back at last years threats and during storm posts, things were smooth and on point, storm after storm. The faux impression from Eastern perpetuated by the haters over at drama queen central is we are out of control etc. in actuality most folks come here to read and learn.

Well we said that banter posts will be moved or deleted if in the wrong thread...I would hope we don't have to do that and the big post count posters here will actually not put us in that position and do a good job of putting the high substance posts in the threat or more hardcore wx thread and the banter to the banter thread.

What's wrong with cutting down on posts that add nothing in a storm threat thread? They are always bothersome to dig through even if not all of us express it in a loud fashion.

No I understand I just think there's a better way of going about setting expectations then writing these seemingly hard and fast rules and pinning them. There's a huge difference between a pattern discussion thread when there's not much going on and a storm thread before an event. I think everyone understands that so why are we acting like there's suddenly some big problem that Bob needs to swoop down and fix.

It should be incumbent upon all of us during storm threats to keep threads good, readable, and substantive. But the other 75% of the time when wx is quiet let's not act like we have to sit around like we're in church.

If it gets too bad ..we can always go back to IRC. It was "anything goes" there ...recall the old #Nemas channel.... wink.png

For the money this region donates each year we could easily have our own little forum and just use this for general talk and keep everyone happy. Members only.

If you remember the major feuds all centered around things being too SNE centric. Look at the posts today, nothing has changed. I'm just floating the idea that maybe it's easier for a core group to post elsewhere to take the pressure off of this site because it seems SNE is causing so many problems we've disrupted the rest of the nation.

It was a whole lot not just one.

Enlighten me in PM.

Exactly seen it coming a mile away. Lock it up someone posts if you do not like it you can leave.

My temp has dropped again to 39. Still have some whispy cirrus.

The previous way tended to work more effectively when we had far fewer posters than we do now. You might have not noticed it, but just going back to the threads from say...2007-2008...and now, we have a much much higher post frequency in our threads. Eventually volume becomes an issue and we have to be a bit stricter with the quality in the non-banter threads. Back with fewer posters, it was fine to just ignore a couple or three one liner posts on a page...but now that equals 12 of them with today's forum population.

I have noticed it.

Which lends itself to my question....what in the world is to be gained by attracting a boat load more members.....the volume during high traffic times can not be handled well as it is, so lets make sure guests are not turned off. lol

BTW, you don't see us dick around like that when there is something to track...maybe very late at night, but otherwise it's not the case.

Not sure your argument is applicable during toaster times like these.

I can understand if they want to enforce the no banter rule in the dedicated threads such as the storm threads, the pattern change thread. Now I guess we can't even banter in the banter thread unless it is wx related.

Well if this is actually strictly enforced, I predict most would migrate to OT and take a lot of their wx discussion over there also - because it is too impractical to keep jumping back an forth between the wx side and OT all the time. The wx banter thread can just move to OT then where it won't be policed.

Super threads! Too many arseholes over there Rick with zero WX interest and usually with zero WX to talk about. I for one enjoy reading about your trips, your fields, your experiences, others outside our region would rather troll that, make fun of it and just piss you off.

No I understand I just think there's a better way of going about setting expectations then writing these seemingly hard and fast rules and pinning them. There's a huge difference between a pattern discussion thread when there's not much going on and a storm thread before an event. I think everyone understands that so why are we acting like there's suddenly some big problem that Bob needs to swoop down and fix.

It should be incumbent upon all of us during storm threats to keep threads good, readable, and substantive. But the other 75% of the time when wx is quiet let's not act like we have to sit around like we're in church.

Well whenever we list rules or whatever, I think you have to understand they aren't 100% set in stone...I'm sure there is going to be some trial and error. We aren't in the goal of making it a worse place to post...only better. If certain things we do aren't working then we'll retool as we go.

I would hope people think there was actually some thought that went into this by us and not just Bob speaking his mind. We do like feedback too. But people also need to understand that there's a different between talking about weatherwiz's weenie and posting a toaster image of Kevin after the 00z NAM in the threat banter thread...one is kind of relevant and the other isn't.

Does this board have a throttling feature? I've seen others that do that restrict the number of posts you can make in a certain time period. It can be annoying, but it forces one to make the posts count, without needing more draconian measures such as 5-posting or temporarily suspending posting privileges. There has to be some happy medium or compromise.

I have noticed it.

Which lends itself to my question....what in the world is to be gained by attracting a boat load more members.....the volume during high traffic times can not be handled well as it is, so lets make sure guests are not turned off. lol

BTW, you don't see us dick around like that when there is something to track...maybe very late at night, but otherwise it's not the case.

Someone maybe Brian posted they wanted more newbies to post. I too would like to see that and meet more folks but I am curious what the real goal of attracted more and more members is actually about. I kind of think we have a lot covered between mets and hobbyists.

Got you ...I have only been over in OT maybe a half dozen times.... I'm naive about it.

Super threads! Too many arseholes over there Rick with zero WX interest and usually with zero WX to talk about. I for one enjoy reading about your trips, your fields, your experiences, others outside our region would rather troll that, make fun of it and just piss you off.

Just get stricter during high traffic times...like you usually do.

Who cares if you have to "wade" through a weenie post or two in order to learn that it's 18\12, dark in W Chesterfield....I mean, REALLY.............

No I demand a multi-page explanation for deleted posts. We should for a commission to review each one.

See we deal with things here and worry about it later. It's ironic but you are exactly right. When was the last time you saw a multi page thread about someone demanding an explanation for a deletion? We move on, if someone is interested we PM.

Eliminate the OT forum entirely. More bandwidth and less expense.

If you look back at last years threats and during storm posts, things were smooth and on point, storm after storm. The faux impression from Eastern perpetuated by the haters over at drama queen central is we are out of control etc. in actuality most folks come here to read and learn.

ABSOLUTELY.

Keep a vigil of the list of browsing posters in our threads as athreat arises.....many of the ma folks seek out the "chaos" because they know god damn well that in between the weenies and toasters is the best weather DISCO on the board by the most knoledgeable and passionate posters.

Someone maybe Brian posted they wanted more newbies to post. I too would like to see that and meet more folks but I am curious what the real goal of attracted more and more members is actually about. I kind of think we have a lot covered between mets and hobbyists.

Well, hey...here is a crazy, banable notion,...seeing that the board makes it's donation goal each and EVERY time and they would like to attract "newbies", how about first focusing on being able to handle the traffic that we already have during large events.

Call me crazy, but...

I have noticed it.

We aren't doing it to attract a boatload more members, We're doing it because the volume is high enough now that it does warrant some cleaning up a bit...and I know the time for getting stricter is during a storm threat...that's why we made the reminder stating "now that we are getting into winter".

Does this board have a throttling feature? I've seen others that do that restrict the number of posts you can make in a certain time period. It can be annoying, but it forces one to make the posts count, without needing more draconian measures such as 5-posting or temporarily suspending posting privileges. There has to be some happy medium or compromise.

I think we looked into a throttling feature in the past, but it was determined to be too detrimental because during storms, we often post obs that may or may not be changing quickly. The post rate during storms is pretty fast with each changing radar image, etc...so it was thought it probably wouldn't work. Maybe they've improved the options on those since then, but I'm not an expert at the board tech stuff.

We aren't doing it to attract a boatload more members, We're doing it because the volume is high enough now that it does warrant some cleaning up a bit...and I know the time for getting stricter is during a storm threat...that's why we made the reminder stating "now that we are getting into winter".

Well, the tenor of Bob's diatribe reflected a bit greater sense of urgency than what you are implying....like, imminent.

Well, the tenor of Bob's diatribe reflected a bit greater sense of urgency than what you are implying....like, imminent.

Well we are going to be more aggressive moving and deleting bad posts or banter not in the banter thread. Not that there's a big storm threat anyway on the horizon, but when it comes, hopefully everyone will be at least close to the same page.

Well we are going to be more aggressive moving and deleting bad posts or banter not in the banter thread. Not that there's a big storm threat anyway on the horizon, but when it comes, hopefully everyone will be at least close to the same page.

Appreciate you letting the members vent and explaining it's more as we approach events.

I do agree with putting an end to the trolling. That's where it all starts.

Appreciate you letting the members vent and explaining it's more as we approach events.

I do agree with putting an end to the trolling. That's where it all starts.

The funny thing is unlike the main page or ot or other subforums there really is no trolling here in sne.

Not to mention the fact I think many of us were a bit taken aback at bobs directive that the banter thread could only be WX banter.

Archived