EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December Observation/ Weather Banter

ski MRG

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to talk too much about this...but the two threads for one storm idea never has and never will work. Everyone that I know of in this forum wants one thread for a storm. Whenever we have had two and one for more formal discussion, one always has 25x as many posts.

Give the people what they want!! ;)

That always has been silly, agree.

Yeah I just find that annoying also...

And I wish there were occasions when a thread could appear in two regional subforums (must be a way to do it technically). Such as last weeks event where it affected ENY and SNE. It was simply annoying to have to bounce back and forth to another storm thread for ENY with maybe six people commenting.

Not to talk too much about this...but the two threads for one storm idea never has and never will work. Everyone that I know of in this forum wants one thread for a storm. Whenever we have had two and one for more formal discussion, one always has 25x as many posts.

Give the people what they want!! wink.png

Not too much talk because this is a subject that now belongs in the general OT forum so that sne can get southern bar-b-qued. There's no place for this kind of discussion in the subforum.

bag.gif

. . . Oh, btw, it's 25F right now.

One thread doesn't really work from a practical standpoint...for every in depth meteorological post, there are 50 smiley replies...so having a more banter/threat thread and one for hardcore analysis makes sense. It might take some trial and error by most of us, but even for me, if I've been out for 6 or 7 hours and want to read up on some of the posts other mets here have to say, its tough to scroll through pages and pages of banter. When I'm on and refreshing non-stop, its easy, but not all of us can do that.

I still think most of the discussion will go in the banter thread, but the hardcore thread is for some in depth thoughts on the storm or perhaps some in depth analysis on a model run or model suite. The stuff like "looks like the 00z NAM is a toaster bath for Ray" I will be posting in the banter thread. Or "lol, Hubbdave gets 3 feet on the NAM".

I envision the more hardcore thread as being something pinned and not posted in with very high frequency. It would serve as a nice stopping ground for those who want to read some in depth posts but don't want to dig through 100s of posts to find them.

Ehh ok I'll look ...but isn't this the banter thread? Is there politically correct banter and politically incorrect banter around here now?

You aren't permitted to socialize or have fun on the weather side. No non-weather discussion is allowed because what we did here was unfortunately adversely effecting everyone else as they tried to read their threads. Think about the other regions please....how can they possibly read their own threads if we're having fun over here? It's simply not fair. The rules are clear you must go to OT where there will be no moderation and you'll likely be insulted because of where you live, your life and political preferences. I recommend you start a "Just SNE" OT thread because that should go swimmingly.

These threads are JUST for weather from here on out.

Hopefully this makes it clear http://www.americanw...rum-moderation/

I'd have no problems with the OT deal but I know nobody will moderate and it's going to be a total mess. 1/2 of this site was already non-weather garbage. Instead of getting rid of that we decided to make a bigger pile of it.

Yeah I just find that annoying also...

And I wish there were occasions when a thread could appear in two regional subforums (must be a way to do it technically). Such as last weeks event where it affected ENY and SNE. It was simply annoying to have to bounce back and forth to another storm thread for ENY with maybe six people commenting.

Yea that must suck, that might be SNE though if they decide to Weather NC us.

One thread doesn't really work from a practical standpoint...for every in depth meteorological post, there are 50 smiley replies...so having a more banter/threat thread and one for hardcore analysis makes sense. It might take some trial and error by most of us, but even for me, if I've been out for 6 or 7 hours and want to read up on some of the posts other mets here have to say, its tough to scroll through pages and pages of banter. When I'm on and refreshing non-stop, its easy, but not all of us can do that.

I still think most of the discussion will go in the banter thread, but the hardcore thread is for some in depth thoughts on the storm or perhaps some in depth analysis on a model run or model suite. The stuff like "looks like the 00z NAM is a toaster bath for Ray" I will be posting in the banter thread. Or "lol, Hubbdave gets 3 feet on the NAM".

I envision the more hardcore thread as being something pinned and not posted in with very high frequency. It would serve as a nice stopping ground for those who want to read some in depth posts but don't want to dig through 100s of posts to find them.

So why can the banter thread only include weather stuff now? I don't get it. It's banter... as long as it's not about inflammatory topics like politics or religion then who cares. We have the subforums for this reason I thought.

As for the other things yeah I agree that with hardcore threats it helps to keep only quality posts but I thought the point of the subforums was to break different aspects of a storm threat up into different threads to avoid the super threads.

I'm not sure why we're being told that all responses need to be longer then a brief LOL or emoticon or something when the weather is quiet especially.

You aren't permitted to socialize or have fun on the weather side. No non-weather discussion is allowed because what we did here was unfortunately adversely effecting everyone else as they tried to read their threads. The rules are clear you must go to OT where there will be no moderation and you'll likely be insulted because of where you live, your life and political preferences. I recommend you start a "Just SNE" OT thread because that should go swimmingly.

These threads are JUST for weather from here on out.

Hopefully this makes it clear http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/30922-sne-forum-moderation/

Irony they begged us to leave OT now we can't because they bitched and moaned about us having too much fun. Odd thing is no one but Nicky DBM ever complained from our region.

Fair enough Will. It just seemed like no one posted in the other thread when we'd done that in the past.

And yeah I agree with Ryan...the no non wx banter in the banter thread is extreme. I could understand if there was an outcry about it...but the only complaints about too much non wx banter Ive heard are from people outside of sne.

So why can the banter thread only include weather stuff now? I don't get it. It's banter... as long as it's not about inflammatory topics like politics or religion then who cares. We have the subforums for this reason I thought.

As for the other things yeah I agree that with hardcore threats it helps to keep only quality posts but I thought the point of the subforums was to break different aspects of a storm threat up into different threads to avoid the super threads.

I'm not sure why we're being told that all responses need to be longer then a brief LOL or emoticon or something when the weather is quiet especially.

Guests can view the Wxside and they do not want guests to see us having fun, WX is serious bidness. I understand them deleting some of the old real bad stuff but c'mon anyone who is on the Internet sees and reads much much worse everyday, but whateva that's what they want. 25 and dry as my humor will be. Yep uh yep, reporting live from www.mundanechristianpuritanwx.com

Irony they begged us to leave OT now we can't because they bitched and moaned about us having too much fun. Odd thing is no one but Nicky DBM ever complained from our region.

Good point. I suppose it's time to overwhelm OT with images of the Tobin bridge, and Toaster pics of Ray and Tip.

. . . On topic, still 25F and mostly dark, with a slight hint of black.

Exactly.

If you are interacting with some people in this thread and you have a thought that isn't strictly wx....how are they gonna know you went over to OT to express that thought? They gonna notice it a few hours later? We always talk about various aspects of our lives (present and past) as it relates to wx over the years. It's just not practical. I thought the banter thread idea was working just fine and most people took their non wx comments here ...thereby preserving the integrity of the dedicated threads.

Fair enough Will. It just seemed like no one posted in the other thread when we'd done that in the past.

And yeah I agree with Ryan...the no non wx banter in the banter thread is extreme. I could understand if there was an outcry about it...but the only complaints about too much non wx banter Ive heard are from people outside of sne.

We have had some challenges in the subforum but Will always dealt with things fairly and we did a good job self regulating and keeping weather threads all weather and with good content during storms which is when people come in. When things strayed a friendly reminder from Will or Ekster was all that was needed to get the train back on the tracks. Not pinned posts with 100 rules and people threatening to suspend other people at g2gs.

When the wx is quiet there's a few of us hardcore posters who will stray OT. This has never been a problem in the past... even in monster super threads on eastern pre-sub forums.

It seems like in the last 7-10 days nothing has changed except a bad vibe and overly petty moderation that has taken place for seemingly no reason. I think our subforum is better in many respects than it's ever been and now funny photoshops (which we've done from years) are being deleted and people are getting spoken to like children. What a turn off.

Guests can view the Wxside and they do not want guests to see us having fun, WX is serious bidness. I understand them deleting some of the old real bad stuff but c'mon anyone who is on the Internet sees and reads much much worse everyday, but whateva that's what they want. 25 and dry as my humor will be. Yep uh yep, reporting live from www.mundanechristianpuritanwx.com

God forbid some of the "guests" are turned off from the board and will not join....because I mean, it's not like the servers are overwhelmed as it is by traffic during large events....thus surely you understand that it's of paramount importance to attract more traffic. The goal is to have the board die for a week in advance of every event; that way there would no banter.

It was but we have not shed the superthread mentality. Banter thread was originally for weather related banter....I'm not sure why that is an issue on the wx side of the board.

That is why the suggestion was split up a storm threat into 2 threads. I'm all for more than 2 threads ion a storm threat, but we can't even really do two at the moment effectively. We all simply end up back in one superthread filled with tons of banter...which is fine if you are online refreshing as it goes but not everyone can do that. It caters to the most frequent and vocal posters on here but that is not necessarily the majority of people who try to enjoy this forum.

I'm sure we'll have to do some trial and error...the rules can be changed or bent or whatever...for now they are suggestions mainly, but we will be actively trying to keep banter to its own thread....which shouldn't be a huge problem in this boring pattern.

It was but we have not shed the superthread mentality. Banter thread was originally for weather related banter....I'm not sure why that is an issue on the wx side of the board.

That is why the suggestion was split up a storm threat into 2 threads. I'm all for more than 2 threads ion a storm threat, but we can't even really do two at the moment effectively. We all simply end up back in one superthread filled with tons of banter...which is fine if you are online refreshing as it goes but not everyone can do that. It caters to the most frequent and vocal posters on here but that is not necessarily the majority of people who try to enjoy this forum.

I'm sure we'll have to do some trial and error...the rules can be changed or bent or whatever...for now they are suggestions mainly, but we will be actively trying to keep banter to its own thread....which shouldn't be a huge problem in this boring pattern.

But the best way to combat that is for the big posters to do a better job posting in different threads. No reason to post a list of demands that includes no responding with smiley faces. I mean come on.

If you are interacting with some people in this thread and you have a thought that isn't strictly wx....how are they gonna know you went over to OT to express that thought? They gonna notice it a few hours later? We always talk about various aspects of our lives (present and past) as it relates to wx over the years. It's just not practical. I thought the banter thread idea was working just fine and most people took their non wx comments here ...thereby preserving the integrity of the dedicated threads.

Rick,seriously it is crazy. Guaranteed Bob said in the Mod forum that I, Ray and Kev would b**ch the most. Betcha he never expected you, Scott messenger, and Ryan to think it is wrong.

If it gets too bad ..we can always go back to IRC. It was "anything goes" there ...recall the old #Nemas channel.... ;)

We have had some challenges in the subforum but Will always dealt with things fairly and we did a good job self regulating and keeping weather threads all weather and with good content during storms which is when people come in. When things strayed a friendly reminder from Will or Ekster was all that was needed to get the train back on the tracks. Not pinned posts with 100 rules and people threatening to suspend other people at g2gs.

When the wx is quiet there's a few of us hardcore posters who will stray OT. This has never been a problem in the past... even in monster super threads on eastern pre-sub forums.

It seems like in the last 7-10 days nothing has changed except a bad vibe and overly petty moderation that has taken place for seemingly no reason. I think our subforum is better in many respects than it's ever been and now funny photoshops (which we've done from years) are being deleted and people are getting spoken to like children. What a turn off.

Archived