• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wes' latest CWG post about Dec snow: calls forecast pattern "snow lover's nightmare"

capitalweather

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write up as usual, Wes - just sad at the outcome :(

I actually thought this was an even better teaching writeup than usual, which says a lot. Really informative for someone like me!

Sad at the lack of good shots for snow, but at least it's not a cold/dry outlook. No expectations, no disappointments.

I actually thought this was an even better teaching writeup than usual, which says a lot. Really informative for someone like me!

Sad at the lack of good shots for snow, but at least it's not a cold/dry outlook. No expectations, no disappointments.

I agree completely, as usual Wes explains it in a way that us noobs can understand.

As for the lack of snow potential - it is what it is. There is still Jan/Feb to look forward to!

Wes great write up!!! Seems like were going back to typical winters in the Dc area. We have been spoiled the past couple of winters. Well,really last year we kinda missed out on plenty of snow storms. What followed after that past back to back La Nina"s? I do not mind playing golf in the winter. I kinda like it. We still have Jan & Feb to go.

I completely agree with his write up. You can see it in the extended range on both the GFS and EURO. The SE Ridge puts up a big fight through most of December. Without the negative AO and NAO, we'll likely have low chances of cold outbreaks and good snowstorms. However, we can still 'get lucky' in this kind of pattern. The NAO has been averaging more negative over the past few years and it can still and probably will go negative for a time this winter. So we still have chances as we always do. No need to give up now. Blizzard of '96? Who knows!

Hopefully we'll get a good snowy ending? It's happened before.

Here's to January, February, and March? haha

it's for effect... "this pattern sucks so much im going golfing"

let's hope he does a lot of fishing into january.

Ian, as a very avid fisherman, even if it is the warmest january on record fishing will still be horrible in the bay, water is too cold, maybe some mud shad...or yellow perch

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I really felt good about the piece after I wrote it except for what it said. La nina with a positive AO stinks. I'm not yet ready to write off the winter. We still could get a sudden stratospheric warming event to help weaken the vortex and who knows what the nov eurasian snow cover means.

As to golfing, I shot really well today and beat my course record by a stroke but going into the last hole I hit a great drive and then made a triple bogie after parring and birdying the two previous holes.

Well written Wes, and makes it easy to understand for us weenies. I have been on your train since the start of the season and agree with a lot of what you wrote. Anyone who thought 09-10 was going to make even a small portion of that season is off their rocker. Just have to suck it up and enjoy the low heating bills this season, It is what it is and no one can control Mother Nature and her cronies, the AO, NAO, etc etc.

Great write up bro

Well written Wes, and makes it easy to understand for us weenies. I have been on your train since the start of the season and agree with a lot of what you wrote. Anyone who thought 09-10 was going to make even a small portion of that season is off their rocker. Just have to suck it up and enjoy the low heating bills this season, It is what it is and no one can control Mother Nature and her cronies, the AO, NAO, etc etc.

Great write up bro

Not everyone at CWG agrees with my discussion as someone noted that there can really fast changes can occur and sited dec 2000 so there may be another article tomorrow by CWG (not me). Personally, I think that year was much different in the strength of the polar vortex at both the stratosphere and troposphere but of course I could be wrong.

Archived