Newest Member
    amirah5
Early December Obs/ General Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went to Springfield for Bright Nights

Balmy 45F there with sprinkles Went through Stafford Springs Ct by accident. Also drove through Sheburne and ate at a lovely BK in Greenfield.

Hey...that's my town! You went about a mile or so from house. I live up the hill just north of town.

We had an honest to goodness shower here...looks like a narrow line of showers is just to my east....I wish is was a few degrees colder and it was snow.

I was just reading the AFD and noticed odd wording in the long term discussion:

MAIN POINTS...

* COLDEST NIGHT OF AUTUMN 2011 EXPECTED INTO SUN MORN

* HIGH PRES IN CONTROL FOR THE EARLY WEEK

* DRY COLD FRONT THROUGH THE RGN TUE NGT INTO WED

* STORM ON THE APPROACH FOR THE LATE WEEK PD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't met autumn Sept, Oct & Nov and winter Dec, Jan & Feb? So wouldn't it be the coldest night of the winter so far? I just thought that was odd...

Hey...that's my town! You went about a mile or so from house. I live up the hill just north of town.

We had an honest to goodness shower here...looks like a narrow line of showers is just to my east....I wish is was a few degrees colder and it was snow.

From what I saw of it it looked awesome...'cept for the no snow part

37F here It was colder in Greenfield and Erving

oops... looks like it was not Stafford Springs, but North Thompsonville...

Still very nice

I was just reading the AFD and noticed odd wording in the long term discussion:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't met autumn Sept, Oct & Nov and winter Dec, Jan & Feb? So wouldn't it be the coldest night of the winter so far? I just thought that was odd...

I guess they mean astronomical fall? Usually if they mean met autumn they'll say met autumn just because the public reads those things and might be confused.

This will be eroded tonight... pretty cold overnight low coming up. Midinght it might be 20F here

High should be around avg, maybe a little below

20 by midnight, impressive, I wonder what a below normal day will feel like? I woke up to white xmas love, Kevin ruined that for me..........6zgfs was a sight for sore eyes but he bitchslapped me back to reality with what the King is cooking.

Enjoy the cold and brown landscape..............yay!

Bastardi is garbage, long range looks crappy.

Gotta enjoy the little things this winter it seems... we are in our nickle and dime pattern as we usually are this time of year. Every time a cold shot or little vort max or frontal boundary moves through we get an enhanced period of orographic snow. Upslope snow showers yesterday put down a half inch to an inch in an hour, and then some more upslope this morning dropped an inch between 4-6am. Driving up to the mountain at 5am it was snowing like crazy, big ol' fluffy flakes blowing and drifting across the road. I love starting a day like that, feeling like you are driving a spaceship through the cosmos as big downy flakes race past the car. The only other vehicle out there this morning was the DOT plow keeping an eye on things, as you never really know how long it'll snow once upslope gets going.

Its 23F here now with wind blowing and drifting snow off rooftops, around corners of buildings, etc. Very "December-like" feel to the air. 13F at the top of the chairlift with a wind chill below zero.

Its just nice to have mood flakes in the air for a couple days now.

20 by midnight, impressive, I wonder what a below normal day will feel like? I woke up to white xmas love, Kevin ruined that for me..........6zgfs was a sight for sore eyes but he bitchslapped me back to reality with what the King is cooking.

Enjoy the cold and brown landscape..............yay!

I was wondering that, as well. This "cold shot" has produced near average temperatures during the core of the coldest air, lol.

From BTV this morning:

850 TEMPS WILL ONLY BE AROUND NEGATIVE 14 C...THEREFORE HAVE GONE

WITH MAX TEMPS IN THE LOWER 30S FOR THE CHAMPLAIN AND SAINT

LAWRENCE VALLEYS...WITH MID 20S IN THE DACKS AND GREENS. THESE

TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR NORMAL FOR DECEMBER 10TH. THERE MAY BE

SOME AFTERNOON CLOUDS INCREASING IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...MODELS

ARE INDICATING THAT SOME MOISTURE FROM LAKE HURON MAY MAKE IT

INTO OUR AREA THIS AFTERNOON. SOME FLURRIES ARE EVEN POSSIBLE

WITH THIS FEATURE.

And I thought it being 23F and windy here right now felt really cold, but alas its just "normal" for this time of year.

I was wondering that, as well.  This "cold shot" has produced near average temperatures during the core of the coldest air, lol.

From BTV this morning:

850 TEMPS WILL ONLY BE AROUND NEGATIVE 14 C...THEREFORE HAVE GONE

WITH MAX TEMPS IN THE LOWER 30S FOR THE CHAMPLAIN AND SAINT

LAWRENCE VALLEYS...WITH MID 20S IN THE DACKS AND GREENS. THESE

TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR NORMAL FOR DECEMBER 10TH. THERE MAY BE

SOME AFTERNOON CLOUDS INCREASING IN NORTHERN NEW YORK...MODELS

ARE INDICATING THAT SOME MOISTURE FROM LAKE HURON MAY MAKE IT

INTO OUR AREA THIS AFTERNOON. SOME FLURRIES ARE EVEN POSSIBLE

WITH THIS FEATURE.

And I thought it being 23F and windy here right now felt really cold, but alas its just "normal" for this time of year.

Looks nice up there, normal is good, everyone seems to be clamoring for the Arctic to invade. Normal is good

Wondering if I can get my first subfreezing max today. 29.8° presently with CAA. It will be close, but I still think I'll hit 33° or 34°. 2K should definitely stay AOB all day. Also a chance of a few flurries or light snow showers on the west slope if that LES plume holds together as it drifts S. Still have about 2-3 inches of snow OTG from the other night. Yesterday failed to get out of the mid to upper 30s. Strong radiation inversion was slow to mix out in the Berkshire Valley, snow cover, and ample mid level clouds kept things from warming into the 40s. I should definitely be able to beat my 19.0° seasonal min from 10/31 tonight.

Nice! You have any reports out of that band east of Ontario? Looks like the usual areas should be getting some pretty heavy snow at times.

no spotter reports yet...but from the looks of the radar estimate...the Parish/Redfield area does done somewhat well...maybe 3 to 6"? The band looks good..probably just hasn't been going on for that long.

Might as well, Won't be missing much....

Very true... have a good Saturday everyone. Sun is coming out here and the clouds are clearing around the mountain quickly. Here's a webcam view from the SW looking at the western slope of Mansfield. Turning into a beautiful, seasonable Saturday in December up in the North Country:

I was joking obviously esp with the CAD signal.

Despite what a couple weenies are saying you can tell most have put their hopes on the back burner. We are seeing less posts now on pattern threads than back in September.

Overall, I thinks folks are starting to feel like december might be at a loss now, Looking ahead there are some more transient shots of cold and a couple storm chances in the longer range but in the short term not a whole lot to discuss that has not already been beaten to death...

Archived