• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early December Obs/ General Banter

Baroclinic Zone

To all elder statesmen reminding me of the importance of academia....

Hate to make excuses... but to show I havent just been slacking off....

Had the surgery and missed a week or two of school makeup was miserable. Have an Indian English teacher who is getting released after her first semester at school due to the amount of complaints. A mass comm teacher who has it out for student athletes, shes on crack and I kiss her ass to get through that one. on top of having no car and waking up every day at 530am to go to rehab with an arsehole trainer. this semester has been absolutely miserable. I need a fresh start with new teachers no damn surgeries and no season to get in the way.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the surgery and missed a week or two of school makeup was miserable. Have an Indian English teacher who is getting released after her first semester at school due to the amount of complaints. A mass comm teacher who has it out for student athletes, shes on crack and I kiss her ass to get through that one. on top of having no car and waking up every day at 530am to go to rehab with an arsehole trainer. this semester has been absolutely miserable. I need a fresh start with new teachers no damn surgeries and no season to get in the way.

lol

Get used to profs. from other parts of the world. I never was able to understand my Calc 1 and 2 professor. Not sure how I passed.

Do the assignments... a prof can't "have it out for you" if you do the work, unless you make it an issue? Will you have her for other classes? If so, keep on kissin'

I had to walk 2+ miles to class when I was a freshman in college (each way - from the apartment to campus) - through the beautiful city of Lowell...lol. Having no car blows.

Hope you stay healthy. Student athletes have a lot on their plate, but so do the students who work to pay their way through (was doing 40+ hours per week of food service work by the time I ended my undergrad "career")

Good luck!

get used to it. I have a french guy for sedimentology...a class which is hard enough on its own. A nigerian guy with a heavy heavy accent for meteorology...a class which is hard enough on its own. My ESP teacher is autistic so while he is absolutely brilliant he has a hard time effectively communicating his ideas. I'd say at least 65% of my teachers have had heavy, hard to understand accents so far.

get used to it. I have a french guy for sedimentology...a class which is hard enough on its own. A nigerian guy with a heavy heavy accent for meteorology...a class which is hard enough on its own. My ESP teacher is autistic so while he is absolutely brilliant he has a hard time effectively communicating his ideas. I'd say at least 65% of my teachers have had heavy, hard to understand accents so far.

I did luck out that pretty much all of my core science courses were taught by Americans...even if they were still hard to understand.

Scooter, Tip, know some of them

lol

Get used to profs. from other parts of the world. I never was able to understand my Calc 1 and 2 professor. Not sure how I passed.

Do the assignments... a prof can't "have it out for you" if you do the work, unless you make it an issue? Will you have her for other classes? If so, keep on kissin'

I had to walk 2+ miles to class when I was a freshman in college (each way - from the apartment to campus) - through the beautiful city of Lowell...lol. Having no car blows.

Hope you stay healthy. Student athletes have a lot on their plate, but so do the students who work to pay their way through (was doing 40+ hours per week of food service work by the time I ended my undergrad "career")

Good luck!

great post, hubbdave...agree 100 percent

Don't get me wrong, GPA is important. However, build contacts and network while you are in school. Have an upbeat personality and be likable. I'm finishing up my fall semester of senior year and applying to law schools. They focus more on LSAT scores and not so heavily on overall GPA. Keep it above a 3.0 and you're golden.

Had the surgery and missed a week or two of school makeup was miserable. Have an Indian English teacher who is getting released after her first semester at school due to the amount of complaints. A mass comm teacher who has it out for student athletes, shes on crack and I kiss her ass to get through that one. on top of having no car and waking up every day at 530am to go to rehab with an arsehole trainer. this semester has been absolutely miserable.

I need a fresh start with new teachers no damn surgeries and no season to get in the way.

Jay,

Don't buy into this mindset. If your strategy for success depends entirely on factors beyond your control, you are setting yourself up for failure. During your entire adult life, you will be thrown curveballs like unexpected medical problems, crappy teachers/bosses, etc. The trick is learning how to succeed despite those rather than using those to excuse failure.

Treat the above as an explanation of why your grades were so low this semester, but not as an excuse. In other words, don't treat them as some external factor that just happened to you that made it impossible for you to succeed, but rather as something that you have the power to overcome. To put it in football terms, if you are getting utterly dominated by a team in the first half, you don't go in at halftime and just say, "Well we're losing because they're better than us; we just need a fresh start with a new team." Instead, you figure out what changes you can make to play better. That's what you need to do here. If you simply rest your hopes on getting a fresh start with no complications, you'll be setting yourself up to fail when something inevitably gets in the way.

Trust me; I've been there.

Best of luck!

They focus more on LSAT scores and not so heavily on overall GPA. Keep it above a 3.0 and you're golden.

Not true at all. Most law schools weigh them equally. They also realize that not all GPAs are created equal. They will weigh your GPA based on the school you attend and the courses you took. When I applied to law schools, my GPA was boosted almost by almost .2 points because of my school and the fact that I had taken a number of graduate-level classes.

Not true at all. Most law schools weigh them equally. They also realize that not all GPAs are created equal. They will weigh your GPA based on the school you attend and the courses you took. When I applied to law schools, my GPA was boosted almost by almost .2 points because of my school and the fact that I had taken a number of graduate-level classes.

Well, that's good to hear. I'm an English major (from a decent school) with two internships at law firms. GPA is 3.73, but LSAT score from October only 154. Retook in December, hopefully I can get a few more points.

my experience as well

Well, that's good to hear. I'm an English major (from a decent school) with two internships with law firms. GPA is 3.73, but LSAT score from October only 154. Retook in December, hopefully I can get a few more points.

yeah, you'll probably need to get the LSAT up, even with the good GPA...

Well, that's good to hear. I'm an English major (from a decent school) with two internships with law firms. GPA is 3.73, but LSAT score from October only 154. Retook in December, hopefully I can get a few more points.

That sounds like a great resume, especially if you can get that LSAT score up another 10 points or so. Even if you don't, you should have a lot of options.

As you get closer to applying, let me know if you have any questions.

That sounds like a great resume, especially if you can get that LSAT score up another 10 points or so. Even if you don't, you should have a lot of options.

As you get closer to applying, let me know if you have any questions.

That's the thing...only had 5 weeks from Oct score release until Dec test to boost that score. I'm looking at local schools (Suffolk, Northeastern...my numbers are already within Suffolk's range, but I just want to see if I can get some scholarship money too.)

That's the thing...only had 5 weeks from Oct score release until Dec test to boost that score. I'm looking at local schools (Suffolk, Northeastern...my numbers are already within Suffolk's range, but I just want to see if I can get some scholarship money too.)

Sounds like the die has been cast. Hopefully, it'll come up a bit. Scholarships are a great idea given the state of the entry-level legal job market right now. I'd be very reluctant to go deep into debt for anything other than a top tier (either nationally or regionally) school.

the last thing the world needs is more lawyers

Very true. I was defending the deposition of an engineer yesterday, and he made an incredibly perceptive observation: engineers create wealth; lawyers simply fight over the allocation of that wealth. I can't say I disagree.

Jay,

Don't buy into this mindset. If your strategy for success depends entirely on factors beyond your control, you are setting yourself up for failure. During your entire adult life, you will be thrown curveballs like unexpected medical problems, crappy teachers/bosses, etc. The trick is learning how to succeed despite those rather than using those to excuse failure.

Well Said. Life isn't all roses and when you're given lemons, make lemonade. There will always be something and like The Dude said, if you roll with it and use adversity as a means to improve, you will.

Sounds like the die has been cast. Hopefully, it'll come up a bit. Scholarships are a great idea given the state of the entry-level legal job market right now. I'd be very reluctant to go deep into debt for anything other than a top tier (either nationally or regionally) school.

Suffolk and Northeastern are great local schools. Many lawyers from big firms in and around Boston graduated from Suffolk. You only live once and I've wanted to be a lawyer since childhood. No point in doing something that I hate if I can avoid it. Life is just too short...and I now know that all too well with my dad in poor health.

Screw what everyone else says jay. Party long and party hard. Schools is secondary.

J/k

You'll do just fine. Takes time to find that balance. Happened to me.

Nice to know you thought it was me last night.

Only if there is an impending mecs will I ever be up at that time on a weekday.

Looks like you will be sleeping in the next couple of weeks...

Archived