amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early December Obs/ General Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

61 for a high in boston, 51 for a low, per weather.com the averages are 44 and 32. +19 on the low, +17 on the high. Astounding.

Some people didn't want to believe it when we said the torch pattern was bad into early Dec...even snow mongers like me and Coastalwx....I hate it, but there is a reason we all said "fear the AK vortex"....its a horrific pattern.

Its slightly relaxed but still bad...but the slight relaxation will give us a shot at a couple snow events hopefully through Dec 17th or so.

Just crunched the numbers here for departures here based off BDL normals (not sure that is the best representation but if I used one of the NOWdata location relatively close to me in Litchfield County this would be even more of a torch :lol:). Had a nice +23.7 departure for today's low, 50.7F (normal 27F) :axe: so for the month now I am at +12.1 :lmao:

This type of pattern reminds me of the late 1980s or early 1990s when we had our snow drought. Many youngsters don't know what this is like....but it can happen for years...not just months like they have been spoiled with in recent times.

So this is what it was like growing up for you Will? I'm glad I don't remember the late 90's torches. I was actually just thinking to myself I haven't seen back-to-back horrid winters since I've been following the weather back in 2000-2001. Sure there was 01-02, but that was followed by 02-03. There was 06-07 but 07-08 was still about 70-75% of normal here (more probably since my numbers are low).

I remember 1988 - 1989 and 1994 - 1995. I still have the noose marks that show. Thankfully my weather crazed pal cut me down. Those stick out for me as super torches.. Jan. 1995 there was a day when it was in the 60's and the sun was out without much wind. Ridiculous!

55F/55F now at 1:45AM on DEC 7th. At least we lose the mega torch of the last two days with some possible snow chances upcoming as Will said.

This type of pattern reminds me of the late 1980s or early 1990s when we had our snow drought. Many youngsters don't know what this is like....but it can happen for years...not just months like they have been spoiled with in recent times.

It seemed that ridge was always just off the West Coast during those winters, we never could get it over the Rockies, so alot of the great setups would always go to the west. Even during the big arctic outbreaks in the 1980s it seemed the ridge was always centered a bit too far off the West Coast for a good snow setup in the NE.

We moved my mother in laws entire house today, she fell broke stuff, surgery, can not be alone anymore, and will be moving in with my sis in law. I sweated my arse off, 10 pickup loads later and all done. Dripping wet with sweat and rain, felt like a summer foggy coastal day.

sorry to hear about your ma

thought the same thing, with the fog, it was just like a number of days we had last april/may

You're going to bust my friend. The signs look awful.

There are no signs that point to winter.........NONE, its time to except a sub par winter, at least first half and anything that does occur is gravy, its even hard to wishcast right now, nothing to grasp onto at all.

There are no signs that point to winter.........NONE, its time to except a sub par winter, at least first half and anything that does occur is gravy, its even hard to wishcast right now, nothing to grasp onto at all.

oh so now three posts after declaring the entire winter is warm its the first half.....flip flop fly don't care if I die. This was after on Dec 3rd you declared full on winter starting today. get off ur high horsey Joey.

Yep,

1936 started with an early season snow...4+" and the total for the winter was 9"..imagine what will happen if we got 10" for the entire winter?

1954 was cold during the summer...snowed early and then not much.

1954 T T 0.0 0.0 T 10.3 0.9 6.5 7.0 0.4 0.0 0.0 25.1

1972 was about 10"

1979 was about 12"

We are long overdue for a 10-20" winter in Boston.

The cold front is taking it's time moving across New England. It was just past Albany yesterday at 3PM and it's just passing Springfield, MA now it appears. Can't wait for the "cooler" air...yesterday was about 22° above normal at my place.

Current 55º at home and 51° here in Springfield.

EDIT: I just check my home station and the temp. dropped a degree at 1025

We moved my mother in laws entire house today, she fell broke stuff, surgery, can not be alone anymore, and will be moving in with my sis in law. I sweated my arse off, 10 pickup loads later and all done. Dripping wet with sweat and rain, felt like a summer foggy coastal day.

God would never let a good work go unpunished!

well, the winds went to town early this morning...total carnage to my christmas light display...my nativity stable is in pieces...looks like it was hit by a tonado...and the star of bethlehem was blown out of the tree and is stuck like a pitchfork in the ground, light bulb on the inside shattered...and the nativity characters are toppled over, sans joseph and a sheep...

Archived