• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2011 General Disc/Obs

Ellinwood

BWI has had 10 straight months with above average temps, and 19 of the last 21 months. Gonna be a hard pattern to break. :sizzle:

If you forecast any month on being 2 to 3 above average (1981-2010) you will be right most of the time. It seems that is the new normal and also you won't be dissapointed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a bigger coincidence that measurable snow has never been recorded in DC on December 1st. Every other day in the period November 22nd to April 9th has had measurable snow, but not the first day of the meteorological winter.

That's a good one. Another one that is interesting is the lack of measurable snow on 12/30 and 1/2 in the full record of the current DCA measuring location.

Early Xmas forcast: 55F and partly sunny

:puke:

Unseasonable warmth from the 20-23rd, big cold front comes through early on Christmas eve, front stalls offshore and a wave rides up the front producing a widespread 4-6" snowfall Christmas day. Boxing Day is cold and then SE ridge brings back the blowtorch through New Year's Day when the pattern change finally arrives leading to an epic January.:snowman:

1322716344[/url]' post='1156205']

00z GFS going in the right direction for our potential winter event, in developing the low pressure center(s) along the longwave boundary. Still think it's under-amplified especially towards the end but we'll see I guess.

I'm pretty unimpressed with this event for us. So many factors going against us, we need to get super lucky.

I'm pretty unimpressed with this event for us. So many factors going against us, we need to get super lucky.

Yeah the broad pattern totally blows and very well could get worse as we go thru the month, but it's not impossible to score a moderate event to curb our complaining for a brief period :P March 1 2009 is somewhat similar to this I think. I'm just basing this off my amateur observation of satellite + weakness trends synoptically, I still feel good(ish) about this one despite the hideous larger scale pattern...not out of weenie wet dreams but simply a hunch in how it;ll be handled.

1322719040[/url]' post='1156271']

Yeah the broad pattern totally blows and very well could get worse as we go thru the month, but it's not impossible to score a moderate event to curb our complaining for a brief period :P March 1 2009 is somewhat similar to this I think. I'm just basing this off my amateur observation of satellite + weakness trends synoptically, I still feel good(ish) about this one despite the hideous larger scale pattern...not out of weenie wet dreams but simply a hunch in how it;ll be handled.

March 2009 had a pretty bad pattern in the PAC and Atlantic, but the PNA ridge was pretty classic. This setup is way different. We have a PV where we really want to see ridging. My guess is whatever develops probably goes to our west but that is just a guess.

March 2009 had a pretty bad pattern in the PAC and Atlantic, but the PNA ridge was pretty classic. This setup is way different. We have a PV where we really want to see ridging. My guess is whatever develops probably goes to our west but that is just a guess.

Its purely model watching right now but the 6z still stays to our S&E but warm. Given the pattern it will likely be a rainer with only Fredneck getting a flake or two.

I can't imagine there's a much better match to November 2011 than what is posted below. I don't know how the comparisons in other aspects might match up. The map from December of that year isn't a good looking map for us either. Things did improve in Jan and Feb, and IIRC, that Jan was the massive cold blast.

November 2011 first, November 1984 second.

post-178-0-76275600-1322756751.jpg

post-178-0-31995700-1322756763.jpg

Interesting. On the bright side, the weather turned cold in time for Christmas in 1984. Remember getting a significant sleet / ice storm on Christmas Eve day that year. Christmas Day offered sunny, windy, and very cold temps. The nearly 1-inch of rock solid, frozen sleet on the ground offered super-fast sledding that morning. Hoping for a similar outcome this year.

Never mind. Got my years mixed up. The year of the Christmas sleet storm was 1983, not 1984. We're screwed.

:angry:

Archived