CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, it still a possibility it comes close with that southern s/w. It will be all about timing of these s/w's which at that stage of the game, is impossible to figure out right now.

Yeah its such a putrid setup to begin with that there is really no margin for error...which basically makes it an impossible forecast at this time range.

GFS ensembles were north of the op, for next week.

Red Flag. Crappy pattern though. We've thread the needle before, maybe we can do it again?

Is this like a SWFE from 07-08? I felt like once we got inside a few days, the track pretty much was set in stone (give or take 50 miles either side)

BTW...can't stand the lady on the Target Christmas commercials.

Meanwhile, UKMET looks more like the GFS and the Canadian is just :arrowhead:

With no blocking features in place, it seems as if this storm doesn't have a 100 mile wide "slot" to be steered into by said absent block...kind of at the mercy of the timing/strength of the shortwaves. Small difference can mean 200 mile shifts

It looks pretty interesting for Upstate NY though. Threading the needle yeah, but that's how we still ended up with 62 inches in the winter of 05-06 for instance. Hopefully this years Pacific pattern yields to sometthing better for the true winter though.

Euro is an electric bath for everybody at 132 hours, maybe some good backend snows for Northern VT, NH, and ME. Surface low tracks from Pittsburgh to NYC and then off Mountauk. Backend flurries maybe as it looks like there's a phase at 156 as the ULL closes off over NYC.

f144.gif

LES snow showers here now have put down a minimal coating. I got 8 inches over those few snowy days in late October, but these are the first flakes courtesy of Lake Ontario.

It always does this. We get some lake effect snow or even system snow in November then it warms up melting it. Then in early December hell breaks loose when the Arctic air finally makes it down.

It looks pretty interesting for Upstate NY though. Threading the needle yeah, but that's how we still ended up with 62 inches in the winter of 05-06 for instance. Hopefully this years Pacific pattern yields to sometthing better for the true winter though.

EC is mostly rain for you. It gets a little interesting here due to latitude, but it's mostly rain for me as well. There's a weak CAD signal in there though. I'd assume above 850 is the warmest layer in the column as well just going by SWFE climo.

That's pretty amped up.

It actually gives a couple inches of back end snow to most of SNE after 150 hours.

It is pretty impressive. I would expect something a little weaker/south (not necessarily like GFS). Frankly though, I have no issue with a stormy TG even if it's cold and rainy. Just don't make it a torch and rain!

It is pretty impressive. I would expect something a little weaker/south (not necessarily like GFS). Frankly though, I have no issue with a stormy TG even if it's cold and rainy. Just don't make it a torch and rain!

This reminds of the years I lived in LA. Even though the average resident worshipped the sun, cold rain on Thanksgiving and Xmas were coveted and the years when it happened people were happy.

Euro is mostly rain, still, until the back end of the storm. Hopefully it works out though...I'll be in Londonderry, VT during the storm system so I'm hoping for a more northerly track...although it seems like a lose-lose situation where we lose the majority of the cold air if the storm is farther north.

Archived