• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving week transient cold shot and the pattern beyond

ORH_wxman

i think if it fills...actually fills...then having it deepen again in the face of a rising PNA, falling NAO/AO won't be so easy. The squirrles are as rotund as I've seen them and mother nature typically is a better indicator than any index as much as we scientists would like to dispute.

LOL, I thought of you yesterday because I saw 2 portly looking squirrels running around.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Will fears 2001-02 result to this winter........probably not alone...

I don't think it will stick around for 3 months like that winter. At some point I expect the Aleutian ridge to flex its muscles poleward. But I will not lie and say I do not fear that AK vortex. I said it in the fall...that I would be a little concerned if we see it continually camping out up there as winter begins.

Over the past several years, we have always preached that the AK vortex is the one feature that strikes fear into us. Almost all the warm winters had it there. Many times when December featured that type of pattern, it went on to be a terrible winter....Dec 2001, 1999, 1994, 1991....1993 had it for the first 3 weeks but then it was flushed SW and we built a big -EPO and the winter was off to the record books after that. So it can switch, but I'd rather not try to do it that way and have it flushed out of there by Dec 10th.

I don't think it will stick around for 3 months like that winter. At some point I expect the Aleutian ridge to flex its muscles poleward. But I will not lie and say I do not fear that AK vortex. I said it in the fall...that I would be a little concerned if we see it continually camping out up there as winter begins.

Over the past several years, we have always preached that the AK vortex is the one feature that strikes fear into us. Almost all the warm winters had it there. Many times when December featured that type of pattern, it went on to be a terrible winter....Dec 2001, 1999, 1994, 1991....1993 had it for the first 3 weeks but then it was flushed SW and we built a big -EPO and the winter was off to the record books after that. So it can switch, but I'd rather not try to do it that way and have it flushed out of there by Dec 10th.

1991 was my first winter back from California. Suffice it to say it blew. My son (then 10) was so looking forward to a well advertised storm that stayed too far east in February that he broke the cup holder in my car from frustration. Normally I'd be pissed but I just comforted him knowing exactly how he felt...lol....

1991 was my first winter back from California. Suffice it to say it blew. My son (then 10) was so looking forward to a well advertised storm that stayed too far east in February that he broke the cup holder in my car from frustration. Normally I'd be pissed but I just comforted him knowing exactly how he felt...lol....

Hey at least I had a snow day on the first day of Spring that winter. arrowheadsmiley.png

Was it ok in NNE by Vim Tooty?

Nope. CAR came in nearly 2' below their avg, not their worst but bottom quartile.

Farther south, 01-02 was the only winter mild enough to allow my Reliance peach to enter the growing season with zero dieback (had 90% dieback in earlier years followed by huge flush of new growth.) It bore about 100 very sweet fruit, the only blossoms/fruit it ever produced, as winter 02-03 killed it.

When you look at the SST anomalies of 1999 and 2001 vs. 2010 and this year in the GOA region its definitely noticeable that both this year and 2010 there is a near neutral pool of water hugging the Yukon and BC coast and there was clearly not those 2 years, not sure if thats what makes the difference or not, but there also no question the cold pool is ever so slightly more east this year than 2010 and that could mean the pattern change will take longer.

Archived