christians
    Newest Member
    christians
November 2011 Obs/Forecasting Discussion

WxUSAF

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha! Cut off to our west = rain anytime of year.

I was just pointing out that this seems to be the season of cut offs. Not saying I remotely believe it's going to verify but if it does, it would be anomalous.

There are 3 or 4 interesting looks on the GFS ensembles for the Thanksgiving holiday time frame.

I'm going to be a glass half full kind of guy here, but there has been a couple/few days of consistency here on the GFS , Euro and their ensemble means to start changing the pattern toward the end of the month. They move that PV out of Alaska and allow the PNA to at least go neutral, if not weakly positive. Problem is, as mentioned elsewhere, that there's not much available cold air in Canada. But, that would allow us to at least have seasonable temperatures (which is really what we've had so far in November as well), if not a bit below normal.

If we can get the PV out of AK, get the PNA back into the positive range, and at least keep the NAO near neutral, that should allow Canada to get cold and that would bode well going into mid December. I believe that's when folks have also suggested the MJO would be in a more favorable octant. I don't know much about MJO forcing, so I'm not sure if that's a tail wagging the dog kind of scenario or not.

If you look at the 500 h patterns for those different solutions, they still don't look that exciting.

http://www.meteo.psu...H_12z/f156.html

True, and I confess that I haven't had any time to look at anything (even if I did actually know what I was looking at).

But they do look better than they did about 4 or 5 days ago. At least maybe the worm is starting to turn.

I'm going to be a glass half full kind of guy here, but there has been a couple/few days of consistency here on the GFS , Euro and their ensemble means to start changing the pattern toward the end of the month. They move that PV out of Alaska and allow the PNA to at least go neutral, if not weakly positive. Problem is, as mentioned elsewhere, that there's not much available cold air in Canada. But, that would allow us to at least have seasonable temperatures (which is really what we've had so far in November as well), if not a bit below normal.

If we can get the PV out of AK, get the PNA back into the positive range, and at least keep the NAO near neutral, that should allow Canada to get cold and that would bode well going into mid December. I believe that's when folks have also suggested the MJO would be in a more favorable octant. I don't know much about MJO forcing, so I'm not sure if that's a tail wagging the dog kind of scenario or not.

I think that is pretty much what needs to happen and the euro certainly is starting to show signs of it happening. No one has much skill out past two weeks so even if I think the change won't really get going until after the 1st or second week of December, it doesn't mean much.

On a disappointing note, it looks like the Canaan Heights Coop. observer is at least shutting down his site -- http://canaanweather.4t.com/ maybe even discontinuing as a coop observer.

In know that many used that as a valuable reference for the stats up here. Maybe I'll have to step up to the plate.

I just read that this morning, man that sucks. I check it all the time it will be missed

Euro looks interesting in the 192-240 frames. 500 is closed off in the carolinas and 850 temps are -2. 850 winds out of the n and nw and a hp sitting in se canada. Not saying it says snow or anything but at least it's something to watch. Verbatim it would at least "feel" like late Nov.

Cool, it'd be fun to track something.

What one model giveth, the next taketh away.

yep, been watching it happen since 2006. Of course, it's silly to think that there much of a chance of anything verifying at days 8+.

both the euro and gfs are breaking down the big -pna in the extended. that is probably the only significant thing that I like. epo and ao are still stinking it up pretty good though.

bored with the weather around here... however, I do enjoy the warmer temps :) I don't mind delaying winter even if it does royally screw over my forecast.

Earlier in the week? Awfully chilly outside my door today :whistle:

Temp anomalies for the month-to-date:

BWI: +1.6F

DCA: +0.5F

IAD: 0.0F

Archived