mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
November 2011 Obs/Forecasting Discussion

WxUSAF

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Numbers ripped from the LWX climo site. Simple November precip vs seasonal snowfall at DCA.

Thanks for the effort! Have you ever found any good previous/following correlations? For example, previous month's precipitation/following season snowfall, previous season's precipitation/following season snowfall, previous month's temperature/following season snowfall, previous season's temperature/following season snowfall, previous month's precipitation/following season temperature, previous month's temperature/following season temperature, etc.

Looks like the rain dried all up around the hood....I'm stuck up in Philly this week but will be in Princeton tomorrow...maybe I see some flakes up there...maybe not...ugh I miss my pillow

Lots of leaves waiting for you to be raked up. Have fun in Ivy league town Princeton.

.43 in the guage here since midnight.

49* here now

LWX: Head to the highest points to see any snow in the mountains

Anybody see a better look from the longer range? Seems to be improving to me. Also, the EC has a couple of interesting tidbits around day 7 to 10 time frame. It's so hard to get an idea from it because of the data that's available. But, it seems to me, that it is also starting to take on a more interesting look, along with its ens. mean. Thoughts pros?

Anybody see a better look from the longer range? Seems to be improving to me. Also, the EC has a couple of interesting tidbits around day 7 to 10 time frame. It's so hard to get an idea from it because of the data that's available. But, it seems to me, that it is also starting to take on a more interesting look, along with its ens. mean. Thoughts pros?

The 192 hr storm on last night's Euro has no support on the ensembles so I wouldn't give it much credence. Just look at the ensemble mean from last night's euro or at the GEFS ensembles. They look nothing like the operational. It does look like we will a trasnitory cold shot but basically, the Pacific still needs to improve. By 336 hrs, the ensemble mean does show some ridging in western Canada which would be an improvement but it you look at the ensembles at that time range they are all over the place. The mjo is forecast to be in some of the warmer looking phases at that time so I'm not sure I'd yet buy the somewhat colder look though as I posted yesterday, I do think there will be a transitory cold shot.

Both the euro and gfs break down the -pna around hr 192. They look pretty similar @ 500 around the 192-240 timeframe. The euro looks really tasty but there's no sense in taking it seriously. Either way, it's really nice to see ridging out west and consensus starting to build.

AO doesn't look to go negative anytime soon so real cold air isn't likely before Dec.

EDIT: Adding the pna forcast from cpc. Me likely.

Both the euro and gfs break down the -pna around hr 192. They look pretty similar @ 500 around the 192-240 timeframe. The euro looks really tasty but there's no sense in taking it seriously. Either way, it's really nice to see ridging out west and consensus starting to build.

AO doesn't look to go negative anytime soon so real cold air isn't likely before Dec.

That's an important point. While the NCEP ensemble do show a negative NAO index, it look more like an artifact of how it's measured that a true block with a high over Greenland into iceland and a low to the south. Plus the AO forecasts at 14 days are a little more robust than the NAo forecast. The models are still showing a positive EPO in the longer time ranges but its magnitude drops quite a bit towards the end of the period.

looks like areas to my south cashed in with the qpf

hmmm, what year had an OCT snow and which area around me did better (climo-wise) with snowfall....79/80

2.5" of precip yesterday and today here in Short Pump. The heavier bursts of precip definitely mixed here. We had maybe 45 minutes or so of a 40/40/20 Rain/sleet/snow mix this morning.

Archived