• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

I think NYC will pretty much be dryslotted throughout. The radar to the west showing a shrinking precip shield and not really moving anywhere.

You could have said the same thing 1/27.

Yes they maybe in a dry patch for an hour or so but that band will sweep through either way. Modles show the precip ending west to east, not S-N.

Also radarextrapolation in this type of event is a bad Idea. Just ask the last few posters who tried it.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised the snow growth is so poor in the CCB. I guess we're really still not saturated. Blah.

Still a terrific storm, though.

It's also interesting that the snow is having a much more difficult time sticking now, than it did during the midday hours. During the midday hours when it was supposed to still be raining, we got a few inches of snow. It was even able to stick to the roads. But now I look outside and it's melting as it hits the pavement. Looking at radar, I don't think we're gonna pick up another few inches like we did during the midday hours. Who would've thought the midday would be the worst part of the storm? Wild, unpredictable storm. Still better than I expected though.

Blows my mind how it's still around 34 over much of the I-95 area in northern & central NJ right now. It's 28 degrees 2,000 feet above you guys right now...yet, it's still 34 at the surface.

It's been 27 here all day today.

Too many people, city lights, drivers, heat effect in your area...it's the only reason. Absolutely no reason NYC should be raining right now either.

amazing...& ridiculous at the same time.

I can definitely corroborate those who say the CCB isn't performing well. You'd think it was ripping here over the last half hour, but its just been some light to moderate snow. A lot of big flakes, so probably a bit of melting which may be artificially enhancing echoes.

Our best hour with this storm was from noon to 1PM when we had 0.9" in an hour. Since then its been essentially downhill. Between 6PM and 7PM we didn't accumulate anything, despite continuous light snow. Its not even sticking to the trees now.

what's it exactly say?

That the line would be in the vicinity of NYC and between the CT shore and LI most of the day.....as it has been...

1319931041[/url]' post='1081743']

Blows my mind how it's still around 34 over much of the I-95 area in northern & central NJ right now. It's 28 degrees 2,000 feet above you guys right now...yet, it's still 34 at the surface.

It's been 27 here all day today.

Too many people, city lights, drivers, heat effect in your area...it's the only reason. Absolutely no reason NYC should be raining right now either.

amazing...& ridiculous at the same time.

Radar returns have been light and we had a several hour dryslot with only light drizzle/sleet.

I feel for you guys :wub:

It's f'n pukin' here. I've got right about ten inches so far and there looks to be plenty more where this came from. Unfortunately I'm pretty much trapped though with all the trees down across the roads. There's a couple of power lines down too, I can see a bunch of houses that are dark and I can hear generators running all around me when there aren't more trees coming down or transformers popping. Hey, at least I get to use my chainsaw some more, it hasn't been properly exercised since I finished cutting up the tree that came down on the house in Irene.

If anybody has a snowmobile and does beer deliveries I'm in for a case of Sam Adams Winter Lager :lol:

I feel bad for OKX.

That 6-10" for NYC is going to be epic bust.

This morning really confused the heck out of everyone... The fact that i changed to snow at 11am in western suffolk county and heard about these crazy events going on to my west - it appeared that today was just going to come together and provide an amazing event and I think upton got caught up in all that.. Hey- maybe we are jumping to conclusions... But it's almost 8pm - and well these bad reports fro NJ and being that the temps aren't falling yet here on LI - I'm not sure what to think..

It's what 01z right now? when was it "suppose" to change over in the nyc area? when was the precip suppose to cut off? 06z?

This morning really confused the heck out of everyone... The fact that i changed to snow at 11am in western suffolk county and heard about these crazy events going on to my west - it appeared that today was just going to come together and provide an amazing event and I think upton got caught up in all that.. Hey- maybe we are jumping to conclusions... But it's almost 8pm - and well these bad reports fro NJ and being that the temps aren't falling yet here on LI - I'm not sure what to think..

It's what 01z right now? when was it "suppose" to change over in the nyc area? when was the precip suppose to cut off? 06z?

down 1.5 degrees past hour in western nassau...

I can definitely corroborate those who say the CCB isn't performing well. You'd think it was ripping here over the last half hour, but its just been some light to moderate snow. A lot of big flakes, so probably a bit of melting which may be artificially enhancing echoes.

Our best hour with this storm was from noon to 1PM when we had 0.9" in an hour. Since then its been essentially downhill. Between 6PM and 7PM we didn't accumulate anything, despite continuous light snow. Its not even sticking to the trees now.

Yeah it's likely a combination of poor snow growth, maybe a bit of saturation problems...and some melting.

The CCB itself formed well and looks good. But the precip rates are struggling and as mentioned the snow growth & snow quality is poor.

Archived