e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rain over Long Island currently is testament that the sun angle had nothing to do with the p-type today.

Again...the two most important fators...which, if in place, can bring heavy snow to the coast...storm track and having a cold anticyclone in place. We had the storm track...and the air mass was reasonably cool by October standards....but generally, for snow at the coast, there must be either an arctic or reasonably cold polar air mass in place. Everything else can be a problem...time of year, sun angle water temps, ground temp, etc....but if those two things are met...it will snow at the coast. Those 2 factors are as necessary on October 29th as on January 29th....

This was never really suppose to be a major snow event for the coast.

Yes but the models had a bunch of the snow occurring this evening, not this morning. Theoretically, with the snow we has this morning, this CCB was modeled to produce 2-5 more inches of snow. That's what the discussion is about.

Yeah it's likely a combination of poor snow growth, maybe a bit of saturation problems...and some melting.

The CCB itself formed well and looks good. But the precip rates are struggling and as mentioned the snow growth & snow quality is poor.

Can't complain too much about poor snow growth in October; any snow accumulation is a remarkable event.

Definitely agree the banding has fallen apart over here in SE PA. Generally lt-mod snow for the past few hours.

This morning really confused the heck out of everyone... The fact that i changed to snow at 11am in western suffolk county and heard about these crazy events going on to my west - it appeared that today was just going to come together and provide an amazing event and I think upton got caught up in all that.. Hey- maybe we are jumping to conclusions... But it's almost 8pm - and well these bad reports fro NJ and being that the temps aren't falling yet here on LI - I'm not sure what to think..

It's what 01z right now? when was it "suppose" to change over in the nyc area? when was the precip suppose to cut off? 06z?

Another unbelievable thing : You guys are on the cold side of the storm now with a north wind , yet Newark airport just bounced up to 36. go figure..

If it makes ya guys feel any better.. this is what it looks like here right now .

( just hit a foot..)

post-2174-0-40495600-1319932305.jpg

1319932371[/url]' post='1081860']

everyone is panicking a little bit...temps are falling again on the island...it will snow, relax. its been sleeting here all day, im sure that will move out to suffolk...1 inch of slush!

It's been snowing moderately for the past hour here with zero accumulations. Poor snow growth and 34 degrees.

Yes but the models had a bunch of the snow occurring this evening, not this morning. Theoretically, with the snow we has this morning, this CCB was modeled to produce 2-5 more inches of snow. That's what the discussion is about.

The EC clown maps on Wunderground actually got the trend right here. They were overdone, as you would think, (though maybe not further north where it was colder), but they seemed to nail that the highest accumulation rates would actually occur from 15z-18z with a gradual lowering after that.

Again...the two most important fators...which, if in place, can bring heavy snow to the coast...storm track and having a cold anticyclone in place. We had the storm track...and the air mass was reasonably cool by October standards....but generally, for snow at the coast, there must be either an arctic or reasonably cold polar air mass in place. Everything else can be a problem...time of year, sun angle water temps, ground temp, etc....but if those two things are met...it will snow at the coast. Those 2 factors are as necessary on October 29th as on January 29th....

Quite frankly sun angle rarely plays a role in determining p-type. I guess the only exception would be a light snowfall in early April.

everyone is panicking a little bit...temps are falling again on the island...it will snow, relax. its been sleeting here all day, im sure that will move out to suffolk...1 inch of slush!

Everyone will do better as the deformation band slides SE during the evening hours. Yonkers over to Bronxville is getting destroyed right now with 30dbz banding, looks to be right along the Westchester/Bronx border. I think my house at 350' in Dobbs Ferry is going to receive close to a foot of snow; they already had 6-7" according to my parents at 5pm, and areas north of the City have largely avoided the dryslot, so they are probably racking it up. Scarsdale reporting moderate snow at 32.5F..

Quite frankly sun angle rarely plays a role in determining p-type. I guess the only exception would be a light snowfall in early April.

It sometimes determines if it will stick...

The EC clown maps on Wunderground actually got the trend right here. They were overdone, as you would think, (though maybe not further north where it was colder), but they seemed to nail that the highest accumulation rates would actually occur from 15z-18z with a gradual lowering after that.

The WRF was hitting the same exact thing...3hr precip totals were off the chart around 18z, but gradually backed off towards 00z

Archived