joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you do CoCoRaHS? Or did you call Mt. Holly? Note the disclaimer on the lower left...

I used to call in my snow totals to NWS...but for whatever reason they mostly would not make the PNS, so I stopped calling. I suspect that my totals are not representative for the area, that 460' elevation can make a huge difference in marginal events like the October storm. In any event my total was accurate, but if you want to stick with "official" data, I understand.

I used to call in my snow totals to NWS...but for whatever reason they mostly would not make the PNS, so I stopped calling. I suspect that my totals are not representative for the area, that 460' elevation can make a huge difference in marginal events like the October storm. In any event my total was accurate, but if you want to stick with "official" data, I understand.

You should sign up for CoCoRaHS. Its free and easy. And then I'd always include your report.

And you can go and backfill data. If you do go backfill and want me to add your total, let me know.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but are there any observing requirements with CoCoRaHS?

I am tempted to sign up, but I do not have a rain gauge and I don't always submit snowfall reports. (go out of town a lot)

Not that I know of. Rain gauges are pretty cheap though... only like $25.

I still think Sussex county is screwed up. The lower totals are probably measured before the snow stopped.

Not according to the times listed with the obs. Aside from things "looking off" do you have any actual data to back that up? The current map appears to follow the terrain in general... (not perfectly, yes I know, but overall)

TrentonOBS-MAP.jpg

Not according to the times listed with the obs. Aside from things "looking off" do you have any actual data to back that up? The current map appears to follow the terrain in general... (not perfectly, yes I know, but overall)

TrentonOBS-MAP.jpg

I don't like the 6" next to the 15" I believe those numbers should be closer together, but it's understandable that you don't want to tweak the maps. The KU maps do a little bit of smoothing on the obs

I don't like the 6" next to the 15" I believe those numbers should be closer together, but it's understandable that you don't want to tweak the maps. The KU maps do a little bit of smoothing on the obs

With elevation differences of 1,000 feet, its certainly possible to get some really big differences very close to each other. Just 300-400 feet higher than my parents home and a few miles north, some locations in Hopewell had more than double the 3.2" that fell in Ewing.

It's an elevation issue. Happens more often than not in Sussex county with the elevation-based or out of season snowstorms.

dude you dont understand the huge elevation differences in a short distance. I can go from 200 ft to 900 ft in less than a mile. In sussex that can be 300-1200ft or higher in a short distance. in this type of storm any elevation made a huge difference

dude you dont understand the huge elevation differences in a short distance. I can go from 200 ft to 900 ft in less than a mile. In sussex that can be 300-1200ft or higher in a short distance. in this type of storm any elevation made a huge difference

The lowest point I cvan find in Sussex is like 400ft except for right along the deleware gap. I still think it was more like 8" and 13"

But if you believe the 6" and 16" it wouldn't be the end of the world. I was just pointing and I don't want to invest a lot of time with this issue.

The lowest point I cvan find in Sussex is like 400ft except for right along the deleware gap. I still think it was more like 8" and 13"

But if you believe the 6" and 16" it wouldn't be the end of the world. I was just pointing and I don't want to invest a lot of time with this issue.

lol, 300/400 i think you get my point. And 300 is the lowest and yes near flatbrookville by the deleware river. basically anyone over 800 ft had on avg about 12 inches, 500 ft -700ft= 8-12. 300-400 ft= 6-8.

Archived