12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, and the temps actually bottomed out in the early to mid afternoon with the heaviest snow while temps went up towards evening and overnight with the wind shift and lull in the precip. Had the snow not been as heavy during the afternoon hours I can see how many of us along the coast would have stayed too warm for snow or at least had the snow that fell not accumulate.

Good synoptic explanation, Thanks.

What occurred was quite the opposite of the initial forecast - we had snow develop soon after the precipitation onset, changing to a mix before ending. I'm shocked we didn't lose power in Garwood. Probably very luck the revised forecast did not pan out. Tree limbs and branches breaking simultaneously around 1:45 PM Saturday.

So we're down in Brick, NJ now at our summer house because NP is all messed up. It seemed like every other street had wires down, some streets even had entire poles down with transformers smashed on the ground. Tree damage everywhere obviously, luckily none went through the roof or car. It actually took about a half an hour to get to I-78 yesterday because many of the main streets were blocked off.

No idea when power will be back up north but it's probably going to be some time after seeing the damage.

Guest Patrick

Aside from keeping this for statistical and historical purposes, this is significant mostly for farmers and other agricultural-dependent occupations. I know there aren't many in NYC proper, but New Jerseys entire western half, from sussex/warren counties down to the pine barrens, is still mostly farmland. Crops are planted year round, and some very short growing-season crops are planted in two or three week cycles.

The foot of snow on the ground & hard freeze means that even though we may have warm days, I bet the fields are done for all of the cold season veggies.

just my two cents.

Quick question re the end of the growing season.. Why does it make a difference when this occurs.. For example it may be weeks before NYC reaches 32 again.. If it got warmer things couldn't technically go anymore? Say for example this happened in mid sept.. (a freak frost). Would that mean the growing season would be over?

Heard livingston and several other towns did the same thing

Thanks to the storm our mayor declared a disaster area/state of emeregency for the town. They are prohibiting trick or treaters from going out. First time I remember Halloween being postponed. Our new date is Nov. 4th. :wacko:

http://bernardsvillepd.org.s48968.gridserver.com/index.php/main/article/winter_storm_october_2011

Heard livingston and several other towns did the same thing

Yeah, I'm not surprised since most of the local roads here are stilled blocked with downed trees and wires. We also lost four trees in the front of the high school here. I'll try to see if I can take a picture of what remains of them and post them in the pics thread.

This must be close to some kind of record for the earliest end to the growing season in the NYC/L.I. area:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1017 AM EDT MON OCT 31 2011

...END OF THE GROWING SEASON FOR ENTIRE REGION...

THE WIDESPREAD SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES LAST NIGHT AND THE

WEEKEND WINTER STORM HAVE BROUGHT THE GROWING SEASON TO AN END

ACROSS ALL ZONES IN NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY...THE LOWER HUDSON

VALLEY...NEW YORK CITY AND LONG ISLAND. THERE WILL BE NO FURTHER

FROST OR FREEZE PRODUCTS ISSUED FOR THE AREA THIS SEASON.

THE FROST/FREEZE PROGRAM WILL BEGIN AGAIN IN 2012 STARTING WITH

THE CLIMATOLOGICAL DATES FOR THE AVERAGE LAST FREEZE IN THE SPRING.

Odd considering no official NYC reporting station hit freezing yet, I did have frost on the cars this morning but I wouldn't call it a hard freeze.

I know you're joking but many outsiders think all of NYC is wall to wall cement. Queens still has a working farm I believe and up until a few years ago had 2.

Yeah no doubt, it's part of living in the NJ/NY area - most outsiders usually make a comment re NJ as a total industrial wasteland. I'm sure there are pretty sections of NYC, although I'd say for Manhattan it's safe to say there's very little greenery (Central Park the one exception).

Yeah no doubt, it's part of living in the NJ/NY area - most outsiders usually make a comment re NJ as a total industrial wasteland. I'm sure there are pretty sections of NYC, although I'd say for Manhattan it's safe to say there's very little greenery (Central Park the one exception).

One very, very big exception, lol.

Archived