mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a ride around the north shore of Nassau tonight. Around an inch or so south of the expressway with snow only away from trees. Went up to harbor hill in Roslyn and it was a winter wonderland. Probably 4 inches on the ground and they had plowed the roads! I am talking less than a mile from my backyard! Trees were also down. From there I drove north to port Washington, expecting to see some more snow. WRONG! Along Hempstead harbor there was not even a dusting. I guess 60 degree water can kill snow for a couple of miles from the water. In the town of port I think here was less then central nassau. Definetly an interesting fall storm. Great to see the microclimates of the area.

i live maybe 2 miles south of harbor hill and i got about 2.5 inches...the hill is about 150 higher in elevation than i am. 150 feet= 1.5 inches more snow. wow.

Absolutely incredible for ALL of you. I am absolutely stunned by some of the pictures I've seen. I've been in a small Russian town since Wednesday without internet, so I wasn't able to see the models. I came back to Vladivostok just tonight and was awestruck by the news. Congratulations, you have seen more snow so far than we have in SIBERIA!

Wow, didnt know you moved to russia

You're still in my sig though :P

still blown away by Newark's temperature rise last night.

They were 35 / 36 the entire 12 hour period from 6pm to 6am. With a N to NW wind. And on the cold side of the storm..

Yet temps at 2,000 feet were around 29 - 30. With precip coming down, there's no reason why they shouldn't of been able to drop to around 32 or 33.

For future winter storms are we now going to have to factor in a stronger 'city heat' or 'heat island' effect .... ?

geez...

They were 35 / 36 the entire 12 hour period from 6pm to 6am. With a N to NW wind. And on the cold side of the storm..

Yet temps at 2,000 feet were around 29 - 30. With precip coming down, there's no reason why they shouldn't of been able to drop to around 32 or 33.

For future winter storms are we now going to have to factor in a stronger 'city heat' or 'heat island' effect .... ?

geez...

Why would it be any stronger this year?

geez...

I think the colder side of the storm was the northeast side. The air blowing into Newark (and here) on the northwest side was already saturated. The air blowing in on the northeast side, as the storm was beginning, was dry. Makes a difference for cooling it off via precip falling into it.

With the wet snow, especially early or late season storms, its not uncommon for temps to rise towards the end even on northwest winds.

Good point, more typically seen with March or April storms.

The air blowing into Newark (and here) on the northwest side was already saturated.

If there was any type of 'heat effect' ...It would be more noticeable in a saturated environment , which keeps the atmosphere more 'locked in'. But these types of minuscule effects are typically ignored since there's no way to accurately measure them .

Coulda been Airplane exhaust for all we know.. :whistle:

Was just kinda blown away that it was 27 here the entire day. (at 2000 feet) so, the cold air was around..

Archived