mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing backlash all in all. Wind was never a big deal here, maybe we had 30 mph gusts time to time, and we're barely light snow now. If this were December I'd be flipping out but I guess I can't now. Honestly though, given how the front end came through with snow by 11:30AM, I would have expected better for us by now. No accumulation really added since early afternoon which was a messy coating on grass/cars etc. In terms of "storm"iness, this one was below expectations.

West Milford 19 inches already.

It feels exactly like a January snowstorm. People are inflating their totals to account for compaction, melting and the fact that a weenie in a town nearby also reported a grossly inflated total. Then other people in the area start complaining.

On a side note, I refuse to believe the highest total reported from ANY snowstorm ever.

man I cant wait to get over to north stamford tomorrow! Be there by 8-9 am with camera, should be some epic pics

I'm telling you man, its not going to look like it does tonight. Temps are still around 33 so its melting as we speak. The actual ground accumulation is around 8", it will probably drop a bit before morning

It feels exactly like a January snowstorm. People are inflating their totals to account for compaction, melting and the fact that a weenie in a town nearby also reported a grossly inflated total. Then other people in the area start complaining.

On a side note, I refuse to believe the highest total reported from ANY snowstorm ever.

Unless it is from those super accurate measurers over at CP and JFK

I'm telling you man, its not going to look like it does tonight. Temps are still around 33 so its melting as we speak. The actual ground accumulation is around 8", it will probably drop a bit before morning

no worries 8" is huge event, everything frozen here now

snow

Take some pics! only takes a second.

Not doing much of anything outside now, very light snow/graupel. Winds have kicked up a little, maybe 30 mph. Ignoring the obvious October snowfall and historical perspective, this Noreaster was quite subpar for this area. Decent precip for a while, breakups and a dryslot, then a sucky backlash with an okay north breeze. Oh well.

I'm up here in trumbull and had about 3 inches by 3pm, then it lightened up and mixed with some rain and i probably added 2 more since, so had about 5 total, but it's still snowing.......i do think the high totals in n. stamford are possible, i lived there for 38 years and the weather up by the ny state line is way different from the eastern side of town.....i remember some storms where extreme n. stamford had 10 inches while downtown had 2, it's at least 2 or 3 degrees colder out there.

More observations:

http://forecast.weat...OKX&product=PNS

...RECORD OCTOBER SNOWFALL AMOUNT SET FOR CENTRAL PARK NY...AS OF 8 PM TODAY...CENTRAL PARK RECORDED 1.3 INCHES OF SNOWFALL.SINCE SNOWFALL RECORDS BEGAN IN 1869...AN INCH OF SNOWFALL HAS NEVERBEEN RECORDED IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER. THE LAST TWO TIMES THATMEASURABLE SNOW FELL IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER WAS...OCTOBER 21 1952WITH 0.5 INCHES AND OCTOBER 30 1925 WITH 0.8 INCHES.THEREFORE...THIS BREAKS THE DAILY RECORD FOR SNOWFALL IN OCTOBER ANDTHE MOST SNOWFALL EVER RECORDED IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER.

I'm up here in trumbull and had about 3 inches by 3pm, then it lightened up and mixed with some rain and i probably added 2 more since, so had about 5 total, but it's still snowing.......i do think the high totals in n. stamford are possible, i lived there for 38 years and the weather up by the ny state line is way different from the eastern side of town.....i remember some storms where extreme n. stamford had 10 inches while downtown had 2, it's at least 2 or 3 degrees colder out there.

Yeah I was down by bridgeport earlier today and it looked like nothing was really sticking. Same thing happened in fairfield.

Its a crap shoot this time of year, but yeah being up there helps a lot

i'm doing fine here, started off with big fat flakes but now kinda switched to more regular size flakes... sticking nicely to cars and grass too, not so much on pavement yet..

I haven't gotten as much as the slush that slides down the windshield and collects next to the wipers yet. The immediate north shore (I am about a mile inland at 122 feet) seems to be getting too much heat off of the sound. Its snowing lightly now, probably still a mix and 36, which is the low for the day. Looks like we may get a 15 burst in a while (if we are lucky) and that'll be as good as it gets.

west milford 19" is at 1100ft.

Makes me wonder if Rina weren't present and its tops/convection sheared off. That southern appendage and low east of Florida definitely robbed our storm for a time. Maybe then, though it might've been a coast hugger and maybe even CT Valley runner. It's impossible to be disappointed from this kind of storm on Oct 29th, but it seems like the worst of it unraveled last minute.

Archived