Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been no unusual increase.

With the wet snow, especially early or late season storms, its not uncommon for temps to rise towards the end even on northwest winds.

yup my temp rose to almost 34 as the storm was pulling away with light snow falling. lowest temp of the day was 32.6 at 2 pm . finnaly hit my first freeze of the fall after midnight and everything turned into a solid block of ice

Plus even the readings well north and west in sussex county were predominantly at or above freezing. We saw the same thing during the Feb '10 storms. Temps hovered around freezing during and after the storm, even overnight despite expectations that temps would crash into the 20s with the departing storm and strong NW winds.

I think the colder side of the storm was the northeast side. The air blowing into Newark (and here) on the northwest side was already saturated. The air blowing in on the northeast side, as the storm was beginning, was dry. Makes a difference for cooling it off via precip falling into it.

Post storm depression came early this year...

I think it's more post-storm boredom. After all of the drama leading up to this type of unprecedented event, it's boring when there's literally nothing to look at now.

The good thing is that we have five long months ahead of us. So relax while you can ;)

I think it's more post-storm boredom. After all of the drama leading up to this type of unprecedented event, it's boring when there's literally nothing to look at now.

The good thing is that we have five long months ahead of us. So relax while you can ;)

I'm so exhasuted from staying up late every night waiting for the Euro lol.

2.5 here in Queens.When I working on the J train last night there was a difference in accumulation in areas.Very little fell by the Williamsburg Bridge but from Broadwy/Myrtle ave to Broadway JUnction East New York the streets and parking lots had a decent amount of snow on them as well as the subway platforms.Once I got on Jamaica Ave there was less and less and by Parsons Archer Ave there was hardly anything.

Everyone here should be absolutely thrilled at what we got,with the exception of Forky.I got more snow this storm than I got on Veterans Day 1987.I got more snow with this storm than I did during the entire 1997-98 calendar winter.I will never forget it.

Everyone here should be absolutely thrilled at what we got,with the exception of Forky.I got more snow this storm than I got on Veterans Day 1987.I got more snow with this storm than I did during the entire 1997-98 calendar winter.I will never forget it.

Do you see any analogue years that relate to what we have gone through in this recent summer/fall period, because I have not been able to find one year that is even relateabal to this year.

http://www.erh.noaa....ventDisplay.php

post-673-0-41012300-1319995957.gif

20" in Concord, NH which was the biggest city to get 20. 1993 also had an October storm in NY, PA and VT, but it was mostly 10-20.

Interesting map. The cut-off in accumulations basically bisects my town in Monmouth County. 2-4" from my house westward and much less east of there.

The visible satellite imagery also gives a nice look - essentially rides the fall line in MD/PA, then shoots ENE through Mercer/Monmouth Counties, and northeastward.

Still solid snow cover here in Villanova. 46F and sunny.

Tonight should be December like for the area, widespread 20s in suburbia. NYC looks to stay well above freezing due to UHI. So unfortunately they will not make 32F for the month of October, but can't have our cake and eat it too I guess. :snowman:

Do you see any analogue years that relate to what we have gone through in this recent summer/fall period, because I have not been able to find one year that is even relateabal to this year.

No.This has stood out on its own.The early June and July heat combined with the fact that Irene hit us in the track she did gives us an excellent chance of having a colder and snowier winter than normal.I am confident on the cold also with this being a second year NINA.was worried a bit early in the spring about a possible 1974-75 repeat but the summer heat and the earlier October warmth squashed those worries.

http://www.erh.noaa....ventDisplay.php

post-673-0-41012300-1319995957.gif

20" in Concord, NH which was the biggest city to get 20. 1993 also had an October storm in NY, PA and VT, but it was mostly 10-20.

outstanding map...wow. Absolutely nailed the long island snowfall, northern nassau, away from the coast, extreme northwest suffolk, all at 2 inches +...what i dont get, why did bk and queens get less? Failed to accumulate due to urban? As soon as got west of eastern queens, went to less than 2 inches, but the rain snow line was east of there all day...in central nassau.

From looking at that map, it looks like the rain snow line set up diagonally from southwest to northeast in usual fashion. what was suprising was how stubborn it was at moving west or east, it stayed within a 2-3 mile zone from 1-10 pm!!!

I think most of us who have 3" or more on the ground may be able to hold a little until tomorrow morning, making for a white Halloween.Not getting out of the mid 40s today, which isn't that warm with an early feb sun angle.

Yeah. I also think it's sticking around because of the dense water content of the snow. It's a lot of frozen water to melt, which means the snow stays around longer.

The damage is unreal. Trees down everywhere, they say we might not have power returned for at least a few days....im at work but ill upload some pics tmrw morning.

Sounds like interior sections are going to experience Irene-like outages that we had on Long Island with LIPA under the gun. Curious to see how fast the other electric companies get the power restored for everyone, hope they do it faster than LIPA did.

this is depressing because I'm going to be looking for snow events over the next month when we're realistically going to have to wait till early December til the next threat... the equivalent of a crack addict getting a massive hit for free and then the dealer saying "oh, I may be back in one month, but there's a slim chance I'll stop by again before then... KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ME!"

:(

Archived