mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, they are the same, has either if them ever seen the same as everywhere that surrounds them?

I have never seen that.

Central Park has been better ever since the event last year where Upton was so disgusted with the total they reported that took the liquid equivalent and did a 13:1 on it and made that the snow total.

On the bright side, it doesn't look like we will start the year *too* far behind LGA, JFK, or CPK...<looks for silver lining and would hate to lose to any of them>

Currently snowing at a decent clip out here, btw.

I live in Whitestone and I didn't even see a coating. Nothing. Drove west past 154th street and all of a sudden there was snow on cars, grass and roofs. Then took a ride to Astoria and there was snow right on the street and sidewalks. The sheltered undisturbed areas despite beibg concrete/asphalt had more than an inch as of 1PM, but then it shut off pretty much after that.

Yep, this is winter storm mesoscale meteorology where snowfall accumulations can vary significantly over short distances because of the location of the greatest lift, location of the coldest air, mesoscale banding, thunder snow, lake effect, dry slot, etc.

Not sure about the accuracy....but nuts!

*******************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL******************** LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS SNOWFALL OF /INCHES/ MEASUREMENT CONNECTICUT ...FAIRFIELD COUNTY... RIDGEFIELD 15.5 1015 PM 10/29 PUBLIC

They're up around 650'+, but that's still amazing.

The brighter reflectivities that have been hugging the north shore around Smithtown Bay all night are mixed precip. Went to all snow briefly, but we still can't shake the mix. How are my neighbors farther inland from the sound doing?

i'm doing fine here, started off with big fat flakes but now kinda switched to more regular size flakes... sticking nicely to cars and grass too, not so much on pavement yet..

NYC saw around 2.4 inches. The problem is while the 6 hourly official measurement thing is effective in ensuring accurate amounts in most events, I do not find in events with marginal temps it gives you a reasonable estimate.

Regs say that measurements should be taken as often as possible in cases where melting is a factor. Whether or not they are following the regs is another question.

Archived