• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

Total accumulation here is about 4.25''. We've done well here with the banding, although the past several hours have had mostly light to occasionally moderate snow with not much additional accumulation, even though radar returns looked much more impressive. The vast majority of accumulating snow here was between about 12 and 3 pm; I got about 3.75'' from that round. Since then in the last five hours I've only had an additional half inch of snow (there's probably been a little melting too).

So all in all, the first part of the storm seemed to overperform because of a quicker than expected changeover, but the second part of the storm which was supposed to be the best part of the storm ended up underperforming in a lot of areas (including here). That's okay though; the fact that I got 4.25'' of snow on October 29 is incredible, and that combined with the widespread tree and power line damage I've seen around my neighborhood will definitely make this a storm I will never forget.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/Albertson+NY+11507

All of northern nassau and northern western suffolk snowing now...but its light...well see what can swing through...still amazing its OCTOBER...there def was a north shore south shore difference here, i had snow and sleet all day long, south shore was rain most of the day...

Total accumulation here is about 4.25''. We've done well here with the banding, although the past several hours have had mostly light to occasionally moderate snow with not much additional accumulation, even though radar returns looked much more impressive. The vast majority of accumulating snow here was between about 12 and 3 pm; after that round was over I had about 3.75''. Since then in the last five hours I've only had an additional half inch of snow (there's probably been a little melting too).

So all in all, the first part of the storm seemed to overperform because of a quicker than expected changeover, but the second part of the storm which was supposed to be the best part of the storm ended up underperforming in a lot of areas (including here). That's okay though; the fact that I got 4.25'' of snow on October 29 is incredible, and that combined with the widespread tree and power line damage I've seen around my neighborhood will definitely make this a storm I will never forget.

Totally agree, about 4.25 herw too. Amazing for this time of the year.

lol, I think that when the upgraded everyone, they jinxed it.

I warned of the Jinxing effect this afternoon. I'm no meterologist but I'm an expert on superstition an murphies law.

This is what I called a "Bustorama" they bust low, overeact, and then bust high.

ok called some friends throught out my town at different elevations. Im at one of the lowest of my town and have 7.5, friend 100 ft higher has 9 and friend 200 ft higher has 10 and all within a mile of eachother. goes to show you how much of a difference a little elevation makes in certain situations

From radar depiction and the development of banding... it appears there will be consolidation and some strengthening of returns as the storm pulls away, my guess, from radar trends... being careful not to wishcast here, but it is usually upon exit that we see some rather radical localized rates of snowfall. I still think that is pursuant here, and probably will evolve in NE NJ/SE NY into W CT in the coming hours as the banding begins compacting.

Fits in nicely with the almost 4 inches from EWR and the sloppy mess here. Let's all hope for one final push!

I have a question for those measuring.. are you guys using a snow board method or just measuring the grass? If you measuring the grass, it could be melting and snowing on top of that giving you the same amount making it look like not much more fell.

Just got back from the RU-WVU game, where we lost it in the 4Q, 41-31 (really should've won this game). Snowed the entire game. Was pretty wild with little plows clearing the field periodically. Here in Metuchen, we're at about 5" and the snow has picked back up since around 6 pm (at least it was in Piscataway during the 2nd half). It's beautiful out. Tons of branches/trees/power lines down in town (including a half dozen big branches down on my property, one of which brought down a power line, although it didn't destroy it so we still have power) and there is a state of emergency where people aren't supposed to be driving/walking around. About to head to the local bar a few blocks away. Love this.

3.4" in Somerset. Might have been a bit more earlier before compacting/melting, but I wasn't around to measure. Felt like some IP or rain drops were mixed in when I was just outside, which explains why with modest reflectivities I'm not seeing many flakes right now.

From radar depiction and the development of banding... it appears there will be consolidation and some strengthening of returns as the storm pulls away, my guess, from radar trends... being careful not to wishcast here, but it is usually upon exit that we see some rather radical localized rates of snowfall. I still think that is pursuant here, and probably will evolve in NE NJ/SE NY into W CT in the coming hours as the banding begins compacting.

I'd hedge on strengthening of returns in the zigzag area depicted within the next hour or so as bands consolidate, this based on evolution of radar (you can see this better on a loop). Either way, it's foolish to complain about getting an underperforming snow storm in October that shatters all-time records.

vkBGQ.png

I'd hedge on strengthening of returns in the zigzag area depicted within the next hour or so as bands consolidate, this based on evolution of radar (you can see this better on a loop). Either way, it's foolish to complain about getting an underperforming snow storm in October that shatters all-time records.

vkBGQ.png

Looking at the radar, I'd say youre dead on, the band over NW NJ should converge down and the stuff over the ocean will push up into that zigzag area you depicted.

One factor making it particularly difficult for LI...with water exposure and little elevation...is the lack of cold air to draw on...wind direction is fine...but it is 32 F at Albany and 32 F at Scranton (@ 980 feet a.s.l.)!

Archived