e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm reminds me a lot of Dec. 11-12 '92 in MA, where it kept oscillating between heavy snow and lt/mod rain... meanwhile about 10 miles west, they got 8-10" of snow.

I believe that one was a good deal closer to the coast....but point taken....

Thanks. I am every bit as excited about this as every other weather weenie but I hold the line a calm accurate reports. You will never hear me report I am getting "destroyed"! lol

i love your reports.

calm.

to the point.

pop up every few pages like clockwork. :lol:

pure crushage.:snowman:

lol, I think that when the upgraded everyone, they jinxed it.

They made the assumption most of us made that if it was snowing at 1pm it had to be snowing still at 8pm, but what may have happened was the brief drop off in the precipitation caused a 1-2 degree warming of the 800-1000mn layer, in this setup, even in this sort of setup in January that can sometimes kill an entire storm because it tends to be quite hard to get that layer cooled back off...obviously in the case of a 980mb storm with a strong high to the north you can regenerate the previous conditions but its tough to here.

Yeah, I'm about 5 minutes from the NY border in north stamford. I know you guys have had a rough day down there.

we got most of our stuff from the early bands, but snow has persisted since then. A lot of compaction has taken place though.

Nice, I have a client up off Long Ridge rd, less than a half mile from the ny border, cant wait to get there and take pics, will be there first thing in the morning too..........totally stoked to see it!

They made the assumption most of us made that if it was snowing at 1pm it had to be snowing still at 8pm, but what may have happened was the brief drop off in the precipitation caused a 1-2 degree warming of the 800-1000mn layer, in this setup, even in this sort of setup in January that can sometimes kill an entire storm because it tends to be quite hard to get that layer cooled back off...obviously in the case of a 980mb storm with a strong high to the north you can regenerate the previous conditions but its tough to here.

Just theorizing, but it seems as though that the source region of drier air was close enough to allow evaporative cooling earlier in the day. Now that the storm has spread further northeast, the source region has been cut-off (by precip falling over the source region, thus saturating the air), such that a minor warming is no longer successfully mitigated by renewed precipitation.

Archived