• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Historic October NYC Snowstorm Obs/Disco II

Sickman

...RECORD OCTOBER SNOWFALL AMOUNT SET FOR CENTRAL PARK NY...AS OF 8 PM TODAY...CENTRAL PARK RECORDED 1.3 INCHES OF SNOWFALL.SINCE SNOWFALL RECORDS BEGAN IN 1869...AN INCH OF SNOWFALL HAS NEVERBEEN RECORDED IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER. THE LAST TWO TIMES THATMEASURABLE SNOW FELL IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER WAS...OCTOBER 21 1952WITH 0.5 INCHES AND OCTOBER 30 1925 WITH 0.8 INCHES.THEREFORE...THIS BREAKS THE DAILY RECORD FOR SNOWFALL IN OCTOBER ANDTHE MOST SNOWFALL EVER RECORDED IN THE MONTH OF OCTOBER.

Snowman.gif

Hooray!!

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you located in the Bronx? Did you measure about 6?

NW Bronx... I measured in the grass... I don't pretend it to be perfect, but that's what I got... The wind was whipping earlier, so it could have thrown it off. Likewise, there was a lot of compacting. Yonkers had 4 at 3 p.m.... I'm assuming that was with a snowboard.

post-2946-0-26384300-1319947580.png

I find that to be very believable. They had much better ratios but equal QPF to the rest of the NYC area. On top of that, they were stuck under some good banding for hours....

yea true.....i mean at 300 or 400 ft there im sure its more like 15" which is right in line with other amounts heading NE in NY and CT...at that same elevation. 500ft makes a big difference in these marginal temp events...

I find that to be very believable. They had much better ratios but equal QPF to the rest of the NYC area. On top of that, they were stuck under some good banding for hours....

I was living in Budd Lake when we got 12 inches of snow the day before Halloween in 2008.

That was just a random elevation event that occured overnight. I believe those totals since the elevation is about the same.

After watching the radar all evening, I think I can tell where its snowing and where it is a mix or rain from the brighter bands (i.e., none of them were snow :( ).

Any LI'ers want to confirm this with their observations? If correct, a bit of an unusual situation with more snow to the south than here along the north shore.

post-290-0-75560400-1319948264.jpg

Not doing much of anything outside now, very light snow/graupel. Winds have kicked up a little, maybe 30 mph. Ignoring the obvious October snowfall and historical perspective, this Noreaster was quite subpar for this area. Decent precip for a while, breakups and a dryslot, then a sucky backlash with an okay north breeze. Oh well.

If this was a storm in winter where the cold air was in place throughout the area you would have received a healthy amount of snow. Think of all the rain this morning and all the snow that melted. Liquid total is well over an inch region wide, so we would have all cashed in close to a foot at least.

We can't really complain. I've been brought to the point where I expect the first flakes post December 15th. This was a miracle. Problem now is what do I do till December15th???

Congrats...amazing for october when there's been many winters to not even come close to that for the entire season....let's hope it's just an appetizer and not dessert...

This is a great storm in January but in October this is just crazy wild. I have now already recieved about 1/3 my annual snowfall and winter is still about 7 weeks off. This has been a very odd year weather wise! Incredible amounts of rain and now a historic October snowstorm!

Makes me wonder if Rina weren't present and its tops/convection sheared off. That southern appendage and low east of Florida definitely robbed our storm for a time. Maybe then, though it might've been a coast hugger and maybe even CT Valley runner. It's impossible to be disappointed from this kind of storm on Oct 29th, but it seems like the worst of it unraveled last minute.

Yeah I'm not sure Rina robbed much moister from this. It's hard to tell if the storm would have been better worse or the same if Rina wasn't there. I vote later of the three.

After watching the radar all evening, I think I can tell where its snowing and where it is a mix or rain from the brighter bands (i.e., none of them were snow :( ).

Any LI'ers want to confirm this with their observations? If correct, a bit of an unusual situation with more snow to the south than here along the north shore.

post-290-0-75560400-1319948264.jpg

Yup, I am on the south shore of Nassau, I have recived around 1.5" in total.

NW Bronx... I measured in the grass... I don't pretend it to be perfect, but that's what I got... The wind was whipping earlier, so it could have thrown it off. Likewise, there was a lot of compacting. Yonkers had 4 at 3 p.m.... I'm assuming that was with a snowboard.

Thanks!

One thing I always look forward to the day after a snowfall are the visible satellite shots to see the demarcation lines of where snow accumulated and where it didn't. Because of the meso-scale environments and nature of this storm, tomorrow's satellite will be interesting to view to say the least.

Also wanted to take a moment to thank everybody who participated in the threads over the past several days. I can say with absolute certainty that this was the best storm I have ever tracked with this group in terms of post quality and information as well as forum organization. There were very literally no problems to deal with---it was just a ton of fun and a constant flow of information. This group is improving at a rapid pace and it's really, really awesome to watch. You guys did a terrific job and it was great tracking this thing with all of you, from the usual ups and downs to the moment the snow started falling.

If today is any indication, it's going to be a sick winter. Collect all your tossed weenies from today. You'll need them again in a few weeks.

Also wanted to take a moment to thank everybody who participated in the threads over the past several days. I can say with absolute certainty that this was the best storm I have ever tracked with this group in terms of post quality and information as well as forum organization. There were very literally no problems to deal with---it was just a ton of fun and a constant flow of information. This group is improving at a rapid pace and it's really, really awesome to watch. You guys did a terrific job and it was great tracking this thing with all of you, from the usual ups and downs to the moment the snow started falling.

If today is any indication, it's going to be a sick winter. Collect all your tossed weenies from today. You'll need them again in a few weeks.

Time for us to go to sleep!

Pleasant dreams all..

Archived