• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

In that case , is 8-9 days really that bad of a response to the worst storm to ever hit the grid in the State?

The response was awful in Irene too. Yes, they have been terrible. Just look over the state border to compare. They are getting embarrassed by MA which had nearly 700k without power at the peak.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have no clue.

I don't know the personnel employed at CL&P to customer ratio. But PSNH only had 240K out at max outage, where CL&P had close to 900K out at one time. Obviously PSNH has a much smaller amount of employees. It would be interesting to compare the two. Even with more employees, bringing 900 thousand customers (along with multiple transmission line damage) is a huge feat.

I don't know why this has been brought up, but some people in NH were out of power for 3 weeks after the icestorm.

Mostly in really remote locations, onsey-twosey...I know one lady who was out 18 days. They had to restring several miles of wire for here and 1 other person

The response was awful in Irene too. Yes, they have been terrible. Just look over the state border to compare. They are getting embarrassed by MA which had nearly 700k without power at the peak.

I dont think awful would be the correct term, going to do a little research on storms, ice, wet snow, and hurricanes, see how long it takes states respectively to get power back up. From the damage that I saw down here north of rte 15, especially by Wilton and Ridgefield I would have thought two weeks for some spots, the tree damage was hard to comprehend.

In that case , is 8-9 days really that bad of a response to the worst storm to ever hit the grid in the State?

Yes it is absolutely a disgrace. There is no reason, none that they cannot get everyone back online in 3-4 days or less. They didn't have any outside help lined up, didn't pay out of state utility companies that came to help during Irene, and then lie to us day after day after day.

What was the point of coming out last Monday saying that 99% of the state would be back online by 11:59Pm Sunday nite? Noone believed it, yet day after day we kept hearing them saying the same thing..The elected officials in all of our cities and towns were all lied to,,,there were and still are crews sitting around in trucks waiting for orders of where to go for hours on end.

It is and has been an entire sh it show. It is the worst run electric provider in the country. People are irate. First they blame forecasters saying it was underforecast..then come back the next day and apologize and say that's not what they meant..It's lie after lie after lie.

Put me in front of Butler with a microphone..I'll have that guy leaving with a permanent innie

I dont think awful would be the correct term, going to do a little research on storms, ice, wet snow, and hurricanes, see how long it takes states respectively to get power back up. From the damage that I saw down here north of rte 15, especially by Wilton and Ridgefield I would have thought two weeks for some spots, the tree damage was hard to comprehend.

The damage was beyond awful in the ice storm...and was beyond awful in some spots in the storm a couple weeks ago up here and most people were back with power within 3 or 4 days...some stragglers were out a week plus, but the restoration process seems way more efficient than down in CT.

Every bad storm will have isolated people without power for a long time, but the key is getting most people back online quickly. When you read that like only half have been restored 3-4 days in, that's pretty amazing.

The damage was beyond awful in the ice storm...and was beyond awful in some spots in the storm a couple weeks ago up here and most people were back with power within 3 or 4 days...some stragglers were out a week plus, but the restoration process seems way more efficient than down in CT.

Every bad storm will have isolated people without power for a long time, but the key is getting most people back online quickly. When you read that like only half have been restored 3-4 days in, that's pretty amazing.

I've only seen pics and videos, but it looks like CT damage was worse than the ice storm. I didn't see whole trees (root balls and all) down like Wiz showed pics of.

Maybe just a different type of thing.

Yes it is absolutely a disgrace. There is no reason, none that they cannot get everyone back online in 3-4 days or less. They didn't have any outside help lined up, didn't pay out of state utility companies that came to help during Irene, and then lie to us day after day after day.

What was the point of coming out last Monday saying that 99% of the state would be back online by 11:59Pm Sunday nite? Noone believed it, yet day after day we kept hearing them saying the same thing..The elected officials in all of our cities and towns were all lied to,,,there were and still are crews sitting around in trucks waiting for orders of where to go for hours on end.

It is and has been an entire sh it show. It is the worst run electric provider in the country. People are irate. First they blame forecasters saying it was underforecast..then come back the next day and apologize and say that's not what they meant..It's lie after lie after lie.

Put me in front of Butler with a microphone..I'll have that guy leaving with a permanent innie

Ok, fair enough, I am certainly not an expert on electrical companies, I have NEVER had an issue with UI which services this part of Ct. I have not been following the situation, but its seems like a consensus that CL&P sucks. Just glad most have power back, and that its been fairly mild for those that did not.

I've only seen pics and videos, but it looks like CT damage was worse than the ice storm. I didn't see whole trees (root balls and all) down like Wiz showed pics of.

Maybe just a different type of thing.

Yes the tree damage I think is worse in this storm, but the power line damage and utility polls might have been worse in the ice storm since the ice clung to the wires more efficiently than the snow did. Either way its a similar situation...and if you drove around central MA below about 800 feet, I'm sure you saw the tree damage. We had large trees uprooted in many spots here in the lower elevations.

But regardless, there is no excuse for the monster discrepancy. I think it was during Irene and then again in the snow storm that we had towns in N CT that were 80-90% without power a few days later and directly neighboring towns over the MA state line only had like 20% without power.

Tolland Town Manager Steve Werbner on CL&P.. This is classic stuff. He also called everyone in town and just ripped them in a 4 minute voicemail message to all of us

Connecticut Light & Power's promises of line crews and tree crews kept falling through.

So Saturday afternoon, Werbner told his town of 15,000 exactly what was going wrong.

Like his colleagues in dozens of communities, Werbner was exasperated with the CL&P's delays in restoring power – or even providing solid estimates about when it would. So he wrote a stark, candid account of his views on who is failing in their work, then sent it in an email blast to residents.

He wrote:

"It is now 3 pm. and I have just met with our CL&P representative. The news is no better at this point.

"Our percentage outage has gone from 50% to 56%, which to me means we are going in the wrong direction. Our elderly housing complex remains without power due to a problem with the pole in the area. This is a priority, but no time frame for repair is given.

"We have one line crew on Old Stafford Road and a crew in Willington working on Route 32 feeder lines. The crew working on Old Post has not completed their work, but it appears they have left. The four line crews we were to receive have not shown up.

"Roads with low-hanging wires interfering with fire apparatus include potions of Browns Bridge Road, Cook Road, Eastview Terrace, Fox Ridge Drive, Gottier Road, Grahaber Road, Grandview Street, Harriet Drive, Kozley Road, Mountain Spring Road, Nedwied Road, Shenipsit Lake Road, Sugar Hill Road, Webber Road, Willie Circle. Numerous other roads have wires lying on the side of the road.

"I have informed our CL&P representative, who is doing a good job with what he has to work with, that his company has no credibility with me and that their performance is beyond unacceptable.

"I have just come from our elderly complex and several residents are huddled in the only room that has generator power trying to keep warm. Twenty residents remain at our senior center where they have been all week. Some 3,000 residents are facing another night with no power and no heat on a night when temperatures are anticipated to be in the thirties.

"I personally have seen convoys of trucks leaving the TOLLAND CL&P service area office headed to other towns. While I understand things are bad elsewhere, TOLLAND continues to receive a disproportionate percentage of available resources in comparison to our outage figures. The inability of CL&P to be able to tell us where crews have gone, work plans for the remaining light hours, repair time for highest priorities, how they plan to address roads that have downed wires causing safety concerns is beyond belief.

"As your town manager I will continue to advocate on your behalf, but I tell you my frustrations are reaching a boiling point as are yours. This company even under intense criticism continues to beat to its own drummer and remains with the corporate line of baloney whenever a question is asked. If crews were assigned to our EOC [emergency operations center] under our direction, the town would be in much better shape on day seven of Storm Alfred's aftermath.

"All I can say is keeping calling CL&P and lodge your complaints, and don't let 'em snow you with their responses. This company has to be held accountable for this mess but right now all I want for TOLLAND are crews and POWER."

Service wires are the wires from the transformer at the pole to the house itself. That article above is for transmission lines which is really big money. Running some street distribution underground is more expensive, but not outrageous.Actually, what a lot of utilities are getting into are smart meters. It will be a new GIS type system that will let the utility know which house is out of power. This system will save time on damage assessment and coming up with a plan to restore power.

Still many homes and businesses could be served from one transformer.....probably too expensive to underground even these....I do like the Gis thing though where a utility can map exactly who is out and not.....could really help in pinpointing the problem from the office rather than crews searching in the field....

Anecdotally the electrician I had hook my generator up said he had friends (electricians) who got sent to mass and new Hampshire to restore power specifically because of the unpaid bills issue post Irene.....this briefly made the news earlier last week but died....will be interesting to see how this issue shakes out upon review.....

Mayor slifka here in west Hartford has been saying pretty much the same thing in daily Robo calls we've been getting....I was lucky enough to get my power back yesterday but there are still portions of WH down.....sad....I wonder if the damage was so bad that a week was unavoidable or if cl&p fooked the pooch on this thing - well clearly they did in some ways

The pics of the icestorm are breathtaking. You'll rarely find something like this in SNE.

post-33-0-56024000-1320713844.jpg

Yeah ice storms are more breathtaking but the moments after this storm things looked pretty incredible too.

I do agree with Will that the tree damage in this was worse than in 08 but the power line damage was likely worse in 08.

One of the problems here is that the worst of the storm was in highly populated towns and suburbs... we're not talking about the country here... but here in West Hartford a town of 50k you had trees uprooted and/or snapped on every block in front of every house. Seemingly every road had a utiliity pole snapped.

Yeah ice storms are more breathtaking but the moments after this storm things looked pretty incredible too.

I do agree with Will that the tree damage in this was worse than in 08 but the power line damage was likely worse in 08.

One of the problems here is that the worst of the storm was in highly populated towns and suburbs... we're not talking about the country here... but here in West Hartford a town of 50k you had trees uprooted and/or snapped on every block in front of every house. Seemingly every road had a utiliity pole snapped.

Yeah I mean beauty wise...ice storms are pretty cool to see, but it's apparent that the snow storm had worse tree damage I think.

So are you the new Geraldo Rivera??

FINALLY!!!

Congrats! You just tore him up with great professional journalistic knives yesterday, good job. I could hear the emotion in your voice which was great. Too many times the media is detached from the common persons reality and is unable to grasp the frustration . Having lived the lie you were in a position must of us would have died to be in, awesome Ryan just awesome .

Congrats! You just tore him up with great professional journalistic knives yesterday, good job. I could hear the emotion in your voice which was great. Too many times the media is detached from the common persons reality and is unable to grasp the frustration . Having lived the lie you were in a position must of us would have died to be in, awesome Ryan just awesome .

Thanks, Steve.

We were (along with towns) getting these restoration estimates that weren't even close... and they won't tell us how they made them and why they were off by a factor of 10 or 20. I can understand if it was right after the storm but 8 days later it still doesn't make sense.

We're just trying to get answers for people who still don't have power and don't have any answers.

Yeah I mean beauty wise...ice storms are pretty cool to see, but it's apparent that the snow storm had worse tree damage I think.

So are you the new Geraldo Rivera??

lol

The worst hit areas here are just unreal I can't believe it.

Time to move on to winter... but at least for me... this is probably the most memorable snowstorm of my life. Props to October snow!

lol

The worst hit areas here are just unreal I can't believe it.

Time to move on to winter... but at least for me... this is probably the most memorable snowstorm of my life. Props to October snow!

Do you have any images of the worst hit areas? I see bits and pieces here and there, but it's been tough to see these areas as I really haven't seen these crazy pics for myself. I'd like to see them.

Thanks, Steve.

We were (along with towns) getting these restoration estimates that weren't even close... and they won't tell us how they made them and why they were off by a factor of 10 or 20. I can understand if it was right after the storm but 8 days later it still doesn't make sense.

We're just trying to get answers for people who still don't have power and don't have any answers.

Butler is pretty damn dumb...his answers were rambling and often made no sense. Showed little empathy and will now be CT's most hated figure....He makes the BP CEO look competent with the Gulf disaster.

Archived