• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

Yeah the white/blue border should run on a line from just east of ORH to Townsend to just east of Nashua. The gradient was certainly sharp east of there from the 11-12" in Nashua to 5" for Ray.

How did towns like Salem and north of there get in NE mass but right on the coast do?

...ESSEX COUNTY...

METHUEN 5.0 730 AM 10/30

AMESBURY 5.0 1157 AM 10/30 HAM RADIO

TOPSFIELD 4.0 759 AM 10/30

GEORGETOWN 3.0 1110 AM 10/30 HAM RADIO

MARBLEHEAD 1.0 730 AM 10/30

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the white/blue border should run on a line from just east of ORH to Townsend to just east of Nashua. The gradient was certainly sharp east of there from the 11-12" in Nashua to 5" for Ray.

How did towns like Salem and north of there get in NE mass but right on the coast do?

They can put the 10" line a bit east of Townsend as Pepperell and other towns a bit east did well, but not much further east...here were the highest totals in Middlesex county

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
  TOWNSEND              18.0  1029 AM 10/30  HAM RADIO
  PEPPERELL             15.0   420 PM 10/30
  GROTON                11.8   833 AM 10/30
  SHIRLEY               10.0   900 AM 10/30
  TYNGSBORO              9.8   145 PM 10/30  GENERAL PUBLIC

Here's my map if I had to do it for the BOS are and out west a bit...i cannot speak for areas outside my knowledge....but I would draw the lines like this:

oct30snowfall.png

Dark blue line in ORH county and W MA would be 20"+....the red line is the 10" line (where nesis really blew it), the regular blue line is the 4" line and the magenta (pink-purple) line is the 1" line...that is how I would draw it. The 1" line in SE MA might not be perfect since I also have a bit of limited knowledge on the totals there, but I used known totals and a bit of local knowledge on topography and typical snow gradient compared to the coast.

Here's my map if I had to do it for the BOS are and out west a bit...i cannot speak for areas outside my knowledge....but I would draw the lines like this:

oct30snowfall.png

Dark blue line in ORH county and W MA would be 20"+....the red line is the 10" line (where nesis really blew it), the regular blue line is the 4" line and the magenta (pink-purple) line is the 1" line...that is how I would draw it. The 1" line in SE MA might not be perfect since I also have a bit of limited knowledge on the totals there, but I used known totals and a bit of local knowledge on topography and typical snow gradient compared to the coast.

A friend of mine in Glens Falls who is a met said they hardly had a dusting. The NW part of the map looks a bit over done as well.

I remember years ago when the blizzard of 96 map came out and they had me over 20 inches in Bristol Ct when we only got about 16 I was all bent out of shape. As I get older I have to pick my battles more carefully lol

LOL wish I could hear.

What is going on?

Just an absolute smoking of Butler. Asking tough questions and Butler just lowered his eyes and looked down shaking his head in a "yes" motion. He called him out pretty hard for saying WeHa would have 1k out by yesterday when they have 11k out currently. Butler just reverted to saying "we have to review what happened". Then (Butler) said something about "we're still finding out how much damage there is" and Ryan just raised his voice and said "YOU'RE STILL FINDING OUT OVER A WEEK LATER?!"

Just an absolute smoking of Butler. Asking tough questions and Butler just lowered his eyes and looked down shaking his head in a "yes" motion. He called him out pretty hard for saying WeHa would have 1k out by yesterday when they have 11k out currently. Butler just reverted to saying "we have to review what happened". Then (Butler) said something about "we're still finding out how much damage there is" and Ryan just raised his voice and said "YOU'RE STILL FINDING OUT OVER A WEEK LATER?!"

I'm sure the bullsh*t that he's been dealing with...showering at random gyms and what not is just getting to him..as it should. This is beyond ridiculous..it's asinine.

Is Ryan a meteorologist or a journalist? It seems like he's trying to get revenge of what CL&P said to him in facebook yesterday. Kinda unprofessional IMO.

Is Ryan a meteorologist or a journalist? It seems like he's trying to get revenge of what CL&P said to him in facebook yesterday. Kinda unprofessional IMO.

Are you ****ing ****ting me? These ***holes have been jerking around the public since Irene, Ryan is a media reporter, they need to bring to light the idiocy that is at the top

Are you ****ing ****ting me? These ***holes have been jerking around the public since Irene, Ryan is a media reporter, they need to bring to light the idiocy that is at the top

I didn't know he was a journalist too.

If he was just a met, then I would think it was kinda weird, but if hes a journalist then its fair game. Its no different than felger ripping john henry to his face.

I'm sure the bullsh*t that he's been dealing with...showering at random gyms and what not is just getting to him..as it should. This is beyond ridiculous..it's asinine.

Agreed 100%. Still, he's keeping it very professional. It's not like he's yelling or anything..just asking tough questions.

Very professionally done.

Agreed. The look on Butler's face was priceless..

I wonder what the answer to the problem will be. I think its kind of unreasonable to increase the amount of lineworkers that a company has only to lessen the restoration time of a major storm that probably only occurs once every 5 or 10 years. They'll come up with a solution to the problem I'm sure.

I wonder what the answer to the problem will be. I think its kind of unreasonable to increase the amount of lineworkers that a company has only to lessen the restoration time of a major storm that probably only occurs once every 5 or 10 years. They'll come up with a solution to the problem I'm sure.

Dude. They should have called in EVERY possible external source for additional linemen Thursday when there was mention of a "historic, devastating" snowstorm. Even if the chance was only 50% at that point, there is no excuse. It's not only on them though. Malloy should have activated the guard Friday at the latest and been in nearly 24 hour contact with CL&P.

Dude. They should have called in EVERY possible external source for additional linemen Thursday when there was mention of a "historic, devastating" snowstorm. Even if the chance was only 50% at that point, there is no excuse. It's not only on them though. Malloy should have activated the guard Friday at the latest and been in nearly 24 hour contact with CL&P.

Ok that works if its just CT that has an outage. If another cane hits and If multiple states are out like NJ, PENN, NY, MA, VT, NH, RI, and ME then what? All of those states are going to be requesting crews. There has to be another solution other than getting crews here.

Ok that works if its just CT that has an outage. If another cane hits and If multiple states are out like NJ, PENN, NY, MA, VT, NH, RI, and ME then what? All of those states are going to be requesting crews. There has to be another solution other than getting crews here.

Cutting back trees. Seems to work around here. But if a majot cane does hit (and it will someday) we will be fooked. Ryan, Ginx have posted dozens of times on this.

National Grid did a decent job getting people back up, as did PSNH

Putting stuff underground sounds good, but not perfect, and $$$$$. Would people balk at doubling rates for 10 years to pay for that?

Cutting back trees. Seems to work around here. But if a majot cane does hit (and it will someday) we will be fooked. Ryan, Ginx have posted dozens of times on this.

Putting stuff underground sounds good, but not perfect, and $$. Would people balk at doubling rates for 10 years to pay for that?

I suggested last night on here of starting with putting the service wires underground. That way all service calls would be gone and once a section of a circuit is back everyone in that section has power. All of these onesy twosey type jobs are eliminated.

Exacly, Malloy has failed imo as well. Just because he is here doesn't mean he is worth a sh*t

Putting stuff underground sounds good, but not perfect, and $$$. Would people balk at doubling rates for 10 years to pay for that?

Its not just on CL&P either... Its up to the PUC to make changes as well.

I suggested last night on here of starting with putting the service wires underground. That way all service calls would be gone and once a section of a circuit is back everyone in that section has power. All of these onesy twosey type jobs are eliminated.

What are service wires? From the street to the house? Half of my neighborhood has underground wires. Not my half, lol. The contractor got cheap as he went along.

This is from Public Service of Wisconsin

http://psc.wi.gov/thelibrary/publications/electric/electric11.pdf

The estimated cost for constructing underground transmission lines ranges from 4 to 14 times more

expensive than overhead lines of the same voltage and same distance. A typical new 69 kV overhead

single-circuit transmission line costs approximately $285,000 per mile as opposed to $1.5 million per

mile for a new 69 kV underground line (without the terminals). A new 138 kV overhead line costs

approximately $390,000 per mile as opposed to $2 million per mile for underground

Archived