• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

BDL has built a recent track record for inflating totals. I think they reported like 13 or 14" in Boxing day last year. Then came in with some obscene totals during the back to back norluns Jan 7-8.

So its easy to be skeptical of them...esp when they blow away every other valley totals...even when taking into account the 6 hour method which really wouldn't have added all that much more (maybe 2 inches max?) given the type of snow we were dealing with.

Maybe they're trying to make up for last decade when they under-reported if they measured at all (hence the crazy low new normal snowfall).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to about 2-4" in my front year, some spots bare.

6" or so in the back.

In the woods and on shady sides of the street there might be more.

Fun whie it lasted. Did you do some bushwhacking?

I did a few circuits at Berkshire SNow Basin on Sunday. Delightful deep powder. Felt great to have skis on again. Also kicked around on the x-c stuff a little. Such a nice early season surprise. Now I'm really jonesing for true Winter. Weeks and weeks never cracking freezing and the snowpack growing ever deeper. If we have to lose the snow I hope we get some bomber cold temps for a week before more falls. Better to have the snowpack on a frozen block.

How do those measure snow?

They don't. Humans still do. Or I should say the FAA contract observers should be, but alas they could care less about climatology hence the use of nearby co-op stations for first order station snowfall. In the case of BDL I think they use the Air National Guard for measurements. It is possible for ASOS to measure, but that would require retrofitting all 900+ ASOSes with snow depth sensors. The ASOS can distinguish precip type via the present weather indicator, but it can't measure the actual depth (though it can estimate it) except at maybe a few experimental sites that might have the depth sensors.

Have to disagree with you. I had a14" depth at 13z. I think 17-18 is definitely possible. Maybe not 20" though. We were sitting under that band and it was sick. We had thundersnows at 2 different times with whiteout conditions. One of the best storms of my lifetime but i could not enjoy it with my power out and trees snapping all around me.

I don't think they had that much based on other valley reports. Both to their north and south.

BDL's report was 12.3" at 0z 10/30 and 8" after that. Not sure where you got the 1AM time frame.

10/29-12.3"

10/30-8.0"

0z to 0z

I wish I saved them. Maybe dendrite has it since he has that nice radar loop for the whole storm. I totaled 1.22 inches of water equivalent for 1.9 inches, so perhaps BDL's W.E. wasn't far off. I think BDL's 10/30 snow total gets amended. I doubt they got eight inches of snow after 1 AM as the storm was winding down.

Have to disagree with you. I had a14" depth at 13z. I think 17-18 is definitely possible. Maybe not 20" though. We were sitting under that band and it was sick. We had thundersnows at 2 different times with whiteout conditions. One of the best storms of my lifetime but i could not enjoy it with my power out and trees snapping all around me.

4 inches is an awful lot to add to a snow depth with the type of storm we had. I took pics of my snow depth at around the same exact time and it was 16.7" with a storm total of 17.0"...but we had 1" depth (maybe a shade more) at the beginning of the storm from the 10/27 event, so it was the equivalent to a 15.7" depth and a 17.0" total taking away previous snow pack.

I cleared after 12 hours...not 6....but I measured 8.6" using the clearing method. Then I measured 9.5" on the grass for depth. I was a little confused, but I think it's because of the air pockets and the deck is more accurate. I'm not sure clearing added anything here since the whole snow fell at 32-33. Maybe .5".

But we were at 33 for the entire event. You don't think we lost any to melting?

4 inches is an awful lot to add to a snow depth with the type of storm we had. I took pics of my snow depth at around the same exact time and it was 16.7" with a storm total of 17.0"...but we had 1" depth (maybe a shade more) at the beginning of the storm from the 10/27 event, so it was the equivalent to a 15.7" depth and a 17.0" total taking away previous snow pack.

But we were at 33 for the entire event. You don't think we lost any to melting?

Not very much...the snow was high water content and doesn't melt very efficiently at 33F...esp when its snow mod/heavy during that time.

It wasn't a 20-25 hour storm, it was maybe 12-15 hours...so it was basically one wipe of the snow board halfway through. At any rate, it would be quite the exception rather than the rule if a 14" snow depth of heavy wet snow managed to be 18" with only 1 wipe clean of the snow board.

Snowed for 15 hours here. So you think 16" is an accurate amount?

If it had been a little colder, that band would have been 4"/hr type of stuff and we may be talking about 25" snow totals.

Not very much...the snow was high water content and doesn't melt very efficiently at 33F...esp when its snow mod/heavy during that time.

It wasn't a 20-25 hour storm, it was maybe 12-15 hours...so it was basically one wipe of the snow board halfway through. At any rate, it would be quite the exception rather than the rule if a 14" snow depth of heavy wet snow managed to be 18" with only 1 wipe clean of the snow board.

BDL's report was 12.3" at 0z 10/30 and 8" after that. Not sure where you got the 1AM time frame.

10/29-12.3"

10/30-8.0"

0z to 0z

The climate calendar day is based upon local standard time, so currently the days run 1AM-1AM, which means if BDL had 8.0 inches on the 30th, it occurred after 1 AM local time on the 30th. By that time things were winding down, so it's highly suspect. Looking at the NCDC data, they have a lot of cleanup work to do.

Will how much compaction do you think occurred 18 hours after the storm was over?

Will how much compaction do you think occurred 18 hours after the storm was over?

Oh thats going to be definitely more...since it had the sunny day afterward and temps in the 40s to go through. Thats a tough one to say, how much did you measure 18 hours after? I think I still had about 13-14" or so, but that's at 900+ feet so the daytime was cooler. The wet snow is fairly resilient.

Oh thats going to be definitely more...since it had the sunny day afterward and temps in the 40s to go through. Thats a tough one to say, how much did you measure 18 hours after? I think I still had about 14" or so, but that's at 900+ feet so the daytime was cooler.

I measured around 5 pm the next day since I got stuck in Waterbury at my dad's place (The 180 foot elevation and 8 mile latitude difference made more of an impact on our final totals than I thought it would, btw). By that time it was down to 10.5" so I'm still unsure what to put for a final total. I heard somewhere in Watertown had 15" but I suspect my total was a bit lower..I'm leaning toward 13.5" since the Thomaston, CT DOT reported that and we're usually pretty close. Just not sure what their elevation is.

"

I'm amazed and not amazed at snowfall reports. By about 4:00 on Saturday, I was at 3.5". It snowed heavily for hours after that with no appreciable accumulation. Overnight, it started to accumulate again, and when I measure in the am, there was 8".

I know there is a lot of valid reasoning for measuring every 6 hours, using a snow board, wiping it clean, etc...

Measuring snowfall is not an exact science, otherwise, there would be no debates on weather discussion boards. Combine the inexact measurement with weenieism ( I get more snow than you) and the debate goes on.

Since I'm not an official observer/spotter, my measurements will come at the end of a storm with what's on the ground. Unles of course, it starts as snow, and then gets rained on, and then turns to sleet, back to snow....

And I am not at all questioning the science behind measurements, nor the benefit to meteorology. Just that some folks get a bit too tied up insnow totals.

I'm amazed and not amazed at snowfall reports. By about 4:00 on Saturday, I was at 3.5". It snowed heavily for hours after that with no appreciable accumulation. Overnight, it started to accumulate again, and when I measure in the am, there was 8".

I know there is a lot of valid reasoning for measuring every 6 hours, using a snow board, wiping it clean, etc...

Measuring snowfall is not an exact science, otherwise, there would be no debates on weather discussion boards. Combine the inexact measurement with weenieism ( I get more snow than you) and the debate goes on.

Since I'm not an official observer/spotter, my measurements will come at the end of a storm with what's on the ground. Unles of course, it starts as snow, and then gets rained on, and then turns to sleet, back to snow....

And I am not at all questioning the science behind measurements, nor the benefit to meteorology. Just that some folks get a bit too tied up insnow totals.

Giving snow totals at the end of a storm is actually acceptable as long as the storm was under 24 hours...the "official" rules for snowfall measuring (coop standards) is at least once per 24 hours and no more than 4 times per 24 hours with a minimum time of 6 hours between measuring. That can create apples to oranges comparison with both technically being correct, but the 6 hourly will be obviously higher so its good to know what you are dealing with. Snow depth at the end of a storm is definitely the easiest to do.

The first order climo sites with the FAA observers are taught to do it every 6 hours but it doesn't mean they always do it right. Esp sites that don't have official observers and the airport staff is relied upon.

like i said before i dont know if its inflated or not but in my yard had 14 to 16 inches the next morning and that was midday and that was the only time i measured so there 20 inch total could stand im not that far north of them.. last winter on the other hand they were always higher then me so well see

I don't think they had that much based on other valley reports. Both to their north and south.

Archived