Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I live about 5 miles from BDL. I did not measure during the storm but I did measure at 9AM the next morning when I got out to clear. I measured just under 14". Now how much compacting and how much 6 hr records would have added to that, I don't know. But I would think 3-4" more is possible, We did have 2 seperate thunder snows that night with near 0 visibility for a time.

BDL's number still looks easily over done even taking into account 6 hour measurements. Unless its lake effect snow, you usually won't have a 50% increase in snow total just because you measure every 6 hours.

Wet snow doesn't have a lot of compressibility. From my own personal measurements over the years, I've found that high water content snow will generally only average out to an extra 1-2" (in storms around a foot) if using 6 hourly measurements vs end of storm depth. Very fluffy dry snow with excellent snow growth will compress on itself quite a bit more so the 6 hourly totals in that type of event will have more discrepancy with the final snow depth.

For the record, I live about 5 miles from BDL. I did not measure during the storm but I did measure at 9AM the next morning when I got out to clear. I measured just under 14". Now how much compacting and how much 6 hr records would have added to that, I don't know. But I would think 3-4" more is possible, We did have 2 seperate thunder snows that night with near 0 visibility for a time.

You could probably add a couple inches...but not much more given the high water content.

Yeah this seems about right and pretty close to what I've seen. 14" or so by 12z depth. 6 hour clearing could add 3 or 4" at the very most meaning the BDL measurement is 3-4" too high in all likelihood

Sort of OT forthcoming...Being without power for a long time makes people frustrated. Politicians seem to be able to just fuel the fire. Malloy just got the National Guard involved today. Did he not think of that a few days ago? Seeing the pics of the storm damage just shows that this a natural disaster of historical proportion.

I'm more than willing to believe that CL&P could be doing more, but I'm not sure if it would be making that much of a real impact on restoration efforts. They could send all their crews to one community and get power restored quickly in one place, but that would not make people in other communities very happy.

Trimming trees could have helped a bit, but the pics I've seen show massive trees down everywhere. Trimming a few overhanging branches would have had little impact on a storm like this.

After Irene, I borrowed a big generator (once my little one crapped out) and I was fortunate to borrow another one this past Sunday. I was also fortunate enough to be able to get gas easily ofter both storms.

As the politicians make noise and point fingers at CL&P, I'd like to know why they weren't more prepared. Mayors and 1st Selectman along with the Governor and congressmen have made a lot of complaints about CL&P. But CL&P is only responsible for power. Individuals and government are responsible for disaster relief.

Sort of OT forthcoming...Being without power for a long time makes people frustrated. Politicians seem to be able to just fuel the fire. Malloy just got the National Guard involved today. Did he not think of that a few days ago? Seeing the pics of the storm damage just shows that this a natural disaster of historical proportion.

I'm more than willing to believe that CL&P could be doing more, but I'm not sure if it would be making that much of a real impact on restoration efforts. They could send all their crews to one community and get power restored quickly in one place, but that would not make people in other communities very happy.

Trimming trees could have helped a bit, but the pics I've seen show massive trees down everywhere. Trimming a few overhanging branches would have had little impact on a storm like this.

After Irene, I borrowed a big generator (once my little one crapped out) and I was fortunate to borrow another one this past Sunday. I was also fortunate enough to be able to get gas easily ofter both storms.

As the politicians make noise and point fingers at CL&P, I'd like to know why they weren't more prepared. Mayors and 1st Selectman along with the Governor and congressmen have made a lot of complaints about CL&P. But CL&P is only responsible for power. Individuals and government are responsible for disaster relief.

Excellent points, if you remember during Irene I was pissing loudly about why the Nat Guard was not used. Our state is broken and broke.

BDL's number still looks easily over done even taking into account 6 hour measurements. Unless its lake effect snow, you usually won't have a 50% increase in snow total just because you measure every 6 hours.

Wet snow doesn't have a lot of compressibility. From my own personal measurements over the years, I've found that high water content snow will generally only average out to an extra 1-2" (in storms around a foot) if using 6 hourly measurements vs end of storm depth. Very fluffy dry snow with excellent snow growth will compress on itself quite a bit more so the 6 hourly totals in that type of event will have more discrepancy with the final snow depth.

Thats the main reason I am sticking with 13 inches even though I could legit go a bit higher, that light fluffy stuff compacts way way faster. In fact on Sunday Night when the stuff refroze it was like a brick and Monday late afternoon the snow in the street and grass had only gone down another three inches. In fact in the shady spots there is still one to three inches of that stuff left after five days with afternoon temps well into the fifties. The big clumpy piles will be there much longer lol

-CL&P should have been mobilized the second WSWs came out.

-Idiot Governor Malloy should have mobilized the Nat. Guard the second that WSWs came out, and he should have consulted directly with local mets so that he could have seen just how BIG of a deal this was going to be.

-No one should be blaming anyone right now, everyone ****ed this one up except the meteorologists. They're just the easiest ones to blame, probably. They showed how big of a deal this would be. Ryan was harping on it even DAYS before the event. It's just stupid how afraid these politicians are to do things before a storm hits just in case it never materializes. You'll have the people who b**ch that nothing was done, and the same people will b**ch that if a ton was done to prepare and it just rained we wasted money. You can never win with some of these idiots.

Here's the thing-

There is the perception of the mets overhyping every storm and I think as a result most people didn't take this threat seriously enough.

That is why people are calling it a freak or surprise storm. A CL&P representative said on the radio that they did not have the warning that they dis with the hurricane. Bull! They had just as much warning---and they were not prepared for that either

-CL&P should have been mobilized the second WSWs came out.

-Idiot Governor Malloy should have mobilized the Nat. Guard the second that WSWs came out, and he should have consulted directly with local mets so that he could have seen just how BIG of a deal this was going to be.

-No one should be blaming anyone right now, everyone ****ed this one up except the meteorologists. They're just the easiest ones to blame, probably. They showed how big of a deal this would be. Ryan was harping on it even DAYS before the event. It's just stupid how afraid these politicians are to do things before a storm hits just in case it never materializes. You'll have the people who b**ch that nothing was done, and the same people will b**ch that if a ton was done to prepare and it just rained we wasted money. You can never win with some of these idiots.

Here's the thing-

There is the perception of the mets overhyping every storm and I think as a result most people didn't take this threat seriously enough.

That is why people are calling it a freak or surprise storm. A CL&P representative said on the radio that they did not have the warning that they dis with the hurricane. Bull! They had just as much warning---and they were not prepared for that either

That's bullsh*t. I don't many TV mets on the air right now or even on this board that overhype a storm. Maybe there is 1 or 2..but unless you are Bastardi, I don't see the perception. It's one thing if their emotions show through, but it is something else to overhype a storm

I agree with you. But this is the perception of the general public towards Mets unfortunately. One thing for sure is that public officials did not take this storm seriously!

That's bullsh*t. I don't many TV mets on the air right now or even on this board that overhype a storm. Maybe there is 1 or 2..but unless you are Bastardi, I don't see the perception. It's one thing if their emotions show through, but it is something else to overhype a storm

Got power back today!! Company out of Joplin, MO was all over the place.

What a storm!! 18.9" was my total with a w.e. of 2.19".That's my 'official' snow board total. Was interesting measuring out there in the middle of the night with cracking left and right in the trees. Can somebody point to a full storm radar loop?

Nice to see no matter how well I do in a storm BDL finds a way to top me.

Pretty good carnage to the trees here. I took a couple hundred photos but it will take quite a while to go through them, too many things to do.

Got power back today!! Company out of Joplin, MO was all over the place.

What a storm!! 18.9" was my total with a w.e. of 2.19".That's my 'official' snow board total. Was interesting measuring out there in the middle of the night with cracking left and right in the trees. Can somebody point to a full storm radar loop?

Nice to see no matter how well I do in a storm BDL finds a way to top me.

Pretty good carnage to the trees here. I took a couple hundred photos but it will take quite a while to go through them, too many things to do.

There are radar loops in this thread check back, welcome back, Your w/e total does lead credence to the BDL total as Ryan was waiting for your report.

Archived