amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BDL has built a recent track record for inflating totals. I think they reported like 13 or 14" in Boxing day last year. Then came in with some obscene totals during the back to back norluns Jan 7-8.

So its easy to be skeptical of them...esp when they blow away every other valley totals...even when taking into account the 6 hour method which really wouldn't have added all that much more (maybe 2 inches max?) given the type of snow we were dealing with.

But the norluns were inflated because of a mistake and quickly corrected.

They ABSOLUTELY got more than 12-13". Why does it kill you that much when someone gets more than you?

Yeah they did. Considering I received a final snow depth amount at 12z Sunday from another met west of there of just over 18" (with elevation) I guarantee you their total was >15".

like i said before i dont know if its inflated or not but in my yard had 14 to 16 inches the next morning and that was midday and that was the only time i measured so there 20 inch total could stand im not that far north of them.. last winter on the other hand they were always higher then me so well see

Yeah that's the thing. First of all we had about 1/10 the normal number of reports we get because no one had power. In addition the reports we did get were well after sunrise on Sunday morning... so I don't think it's a stretch to think ac ouple additional inches fell if you were clearing at 18z and 00z.

Ryan, has anyone got a total from the Norfolk co-op?

Here are the 10/30 co-ops that reported (not sure about measurement times)...

STORRS.............................. 7.6

BRIDGEPORT-SUCCESS HILL... 4.0

BARKHAMSTED................... 15.0

BURLINGTON...................... 15.0

NORFOLK 2 SW................... 21.3

HAMPTON........................... 6.0

BAKERSVILLE...................... 18.6

Oh cool... didn't see that. The original report didn't have them reporting.

I'm impressed Bakersville had 18.6" they never do very well!

I could see BDL having around 14''...maybe 15'' or so based on reports around them. I find it WAY HARD to believe they got 10'' more snow than we did here in West Hartford watching a radar loop. If they did get 20'' then surrounding areas like Suffield/Windsor/Enfield all would have had totals close to that. Unless there some some insane mesocale band that just developed right over BDL.

I could see BDL having around 14''...maybe 15'' or so based on reports around them. I find it WAY HARD to believe they got 10'' more snow than we did here in West Hartford watching a radar loop. If they did get 20'' then surrounding areas like Suffield/Windsor/Enfield all would have had totals close to that. Unless there some some insane mesocale band that just developed right over BDL.

The thing is I measured a depth of 12" at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning. BDL did have better banding and if you were clearing every 6hours you would probably tack on an additional 2" or 3".

That said I think 20.3" is high... but 17" or 18" wouldn't shock me.

The thing is I measured a depth of 12" at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning. BDL did have better banding and if you were clearing every 6hours you would probably tack on an additional 2" or 3".

That said I think 20.3" is high... but 17" or 18" wouldn't shock me.

That's pretty sick for here, I can't believe that!

Was the 11.5'' in the PNS from you or someone else?

In a system like this what would be the best method for clearing snow boards?

That's pretty sick for here, I can't believe that!

Was the 11.5'' in the PNS from you or someone else?

In a system like this what would be the best method for clearing snow boards?

I had 12" almost on the nose where I measure at work... but by that point melting had taken over. I know in Granby a fellow met ha da depth of 18" around 12z as well.

I had 12" almost on the nose where I measure at work... but by that point melting had taken over. I know in Granby a fellow met ha da depth of 18" around 12z as well.

So perhaps we could have gotten like 13'' or so? Maybe closer to 14''? If that's the case then I could def see BDL getting closer to 18''....especially with that Granby report, that's not too far from BDL really. What's the elevation difference between where he lives and BDL?

So perhaps we could have gotten like 13'' or so? Maybe closer to 14''? If that's the case then I could def see BDL getting closer to 18''....especially with that Granby report, that's not too far from BDL really. What's the elevation difference between where he lives and BDL?

The 18" 12z depth was at 800ft so fairly significant.

And yeah I assume our actual "total" was about 14".

No surprise they went over 20". I thought he might have gone closer to 24". Looks like Norfolk retains the October State record.

They need to give Dave an honorable 20+ dot in N central mass...looks good though.

They are not good in SNE at all...aside from the 20" nitpick in N ORH county (several more towns up there got 20"+...but they only use official coop data)...they somehow have most of essex and middlesex counties over 10" which is totally wrong.

They are not good in SNE at all...aside from the 20" nitpick in N ORH county (several more towns up there got 20"...but they only use official coop data)...they somehow have most of essex and middlesex counties over 10" which is totally wrong.

Yeah the NE cut-off is off. I didn't really look at the map too much haha. The cut-off is good for here as far as from 10-20 to 4-10. They could also have a 20+ area near MPM. It seems to be off by Kevin too...I believe he got 12.5" and on the map he seems to be near the border of the 4-10 and 10-20 lines....but that's a nit pick.

Yeah the NE cut-off is off. I didn't really look at the map too much haha. The cut-off is good for here as far as from 10-20 to 4-10. They could also have a 20+ area near MPM. It seems to be off by Kevin too...I believe he got 12.5" and on the map he seems to be near the border of the 4-10 and 10-20 lines....but that's a nit pick.

Yeah I don't have a problem with them missing the 20"+ amounts on the spine..it would just mean they need to put a few dots extending southward or a thin line through Huddardston/Westminster/Princeton....but thats easy to miss on a wide map like that...the bad part is covering so much of NE MA in 10-20" when that isn't even close. Only far NW middlesex county had 10"+...like Townsend, Groton and Pepperell. Essex county wasn't even close.

Yeah I don't have a problem with them missing the 20"+ amounts on the spine..it would just mean they need to put a few dots extending southward or a thin line through Huddardston/Westminster/Princeton....but thats easy to miss on a wide map like that...the bad part is covering so much of NE MA in 10-20" when that isn't even close. Only far NW middlesex county had 10"+...like Townsend, Groton and Pepperell. Essex county wasn't even close.

Yeah the white/blue border should run on a line from just east of ORH to Townsend to just east of Nashua. The gradient was certainly sharp east of there from the 11-12" in Nashua to 5" for Ray.

How did towns like Salem and north of there get in NE mass but right on the coast do?

Also, SE Mass had < 1" so they shouldn't be included in the light shading.

Interior SE MA did have 1-4"...but they don't make that distinction. The 1-2" line extended down to about Raynham and Middleborough. They shouldn't put the coast in that. It looks they even put part of the Cape in that.

Archived