joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even up in NH...there was a clear difference between an area of bare trees and the areas that had oaks that still had leaves on them. The leafed out trees were damaged, while the areas that had bare trees weren't damaged too much other than a limb here or there down. I know even down there, some trees that were bare took a beating, but pretty clear that is was the leafed out trees that got destroyed.

Oaks have got to be the most destructive and hardest to clear when they do fall. Looks like some areas lost hundreds of years worth of tree growth.

According to Doug Glowacki, the state weather adviser at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection there are no records of any October snowstorm matching the depth and areal coverage of this storm. We witnessed Met history for inhabitated CT history. Although two ‘Snow Hurricanes’ occurred in 1804 and 1841, respectively neither of these storms matched the snowfall amounts from the October Northeaster of 2011,”

According to Doug Glowacki, the state weather adviser at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection there are no records of any October snowstorm matching the depth and areal coverage of this storm. We witnessed Met history for inhabitated CT history. Although two ‘Snow Hurricanes’ occurred in 1804 and 1841, respectively neither of these storms matched the snowfall amounts from the October Northeaster of 2011,”

Yeah I think it's fair to say that this was the biggest October snow in hundreds of years.

No references to any thing more widespread and as deep in any of our Native American archives here either. What a rare storm, great to be part of history.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if something inthe 1600s or 1700s came close in CT but we don't really have anything on record that comes close. Amazing.

The fact that this shattered so many records by such a large margin shows you what a low return time something like this has.

Who knows how long it's been since we saw something like this. The records from the 1700s etc always seemed exaggerated anyways. People talking about how "thou hadst snow up to thy knickers.." and then pictures of horses with snow drifts to their necks.

LOL people came over here from Europe and probably thought a clipper with 2-4" was an all out blizzard

I've been hoping for a 'snowstorm of a lifetime' that would be remembered kinda like an 1888. I never dreamed it would come in an October.

I've been hoping for a 'snowstorm of a lifetime' that would be remembered kinda like an 1888. I never dreamed it would come in an October.

lol

This was one of the most memorable snowstorms of my life.

Not sure how I'd rank the following.

Nov 89, Feb 94, Jan 96, Apr 97, Presidents Day 03 (in PSU), Feb 06, Jan 11, Oct 11

Based on what I hear...it sounds like Oct 29-30 should be there at the top for some. Maybe not because of total snow..but the impacts that went along with it.

Yeah the shotgun blasts, 10 days without power, epic damage, a foot snow depth on an October morning is just insane.

For most anomalous storm of my life this has got to be it. I can't think of another "storm" that is this rare for my backyard.

Yeah the shotgun blasts, 10 days without power, epic damage, a foot snow depth on an October morning is just insane.

For most anomalous storm of my life this has got to be it. I can't think of another "storm" that is this rare for my backyard.

Bummed I miss some of that epic-ness that you guys had, but the April Fool's storm is my #1 for me. This probably goes for many around these parts.

lol

Nov 89, Feb 94, Jan 96, Apr 97, Presidents Day 03 (in PSU), Feb 06, Jan 11, Oct 11

Oct 11 easy for me. While they don't grow on trees big Dec to Mar storms are still somewhat common. Storms like Jan 11, Feb 03, while they are great and I'd take another in a heartbeat, they are still common enough that they don't stand out. One can go back 100 years and find 20-30 or more storms that are comparable. There is nothing that compares to this last storm.

Oct 11 easy for me. While they don't grow on trees big Dec to Mar storms are still somewhat common. Storms like Jan 11, Feb 03, while they are great and I'd take another in a heartbeat, they are still common enough that they don't stand out. One can go back 100 years and find 20-30 or more storms that are comparable. There is nothing that compares to this last storm.

Agreed.

Oct 11 is definitely most memorable. The rest of the list I have a hard time ranking.

lol

Def. in my top 5 due to the weirdness, not necc. the 20"

Feb 78

March 1993 (although I was on a plane)

Dec 1992

April 1997

October 2011

I could throw Dec 2008 Ice in there, but that was not snow...

Not necc in that order (although the 78 blizzard dwarfed the others)

Bummed I miss some of that epic-ness that you guys had, but the April Fool's storm is my #1 for me. This probably goes for many around these parts.

That 1997 storm is unprecedented for Boston metro in its own right. Nothing comes close to having a 30 inch snowstorm in April on the coastal plain even going back to the 1800s from what we have...even right down to the water at Logan airport. This October storm was definitely more anomalous though on a regional scale.

Archived