joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12.3" is not final. The 12.3" is the 10/29 measurement... the additional snow total for 10/30 is still up in the air but NWS hopes to resolve it soon.

The measurements:

1pm - Trace

7pm - 4.6"

Midnight - 5.5"

1am - 2.2"

There were some issues with how the 12.3 was measured but that's what we've got (it is likely a bit low).

I imagine an extra 2" or a bit more fell after 1 a.m.

Don't know if this is any help to them but here were my measurements

12:20pm - first flakes

3:30pm - 4.5"

6:00pm - 7.8"

11:45pm - 15.7" board cleared

6:00am - 3.2" (total 18.9")

At 11:45pm it was really ripping. at approx 12:15am I did a last quick measurement straight off the ground and got ~16.5", it was still snowing decent but had noticeably lessened from before. I called it a night as I really had no idea how long it was going to last. I'd guess around 2/3rds of the 3.2" after 11:45pm fell before 1am. BDL is a tad further East so 1.5-2" after 1am there sounds about right to me

• 1 year later...

You got hit good, best weenie ride ever up 169 past Garth to Woodstock to 44 to Kevin, down to Middle town, destruction and mega piles. Probably the most anomalous storm ever to hit CT

It was not long after Irene. Woodstock got hit hard enough to lose power for week - didn't have to go far south or east to see just a couple inches and no real impact. North and west of me was a disaster.

It was not long after Irene. Woodstock got hit hard enough to lose power for week - didn't have to go far south or east to see just a couple inches and no real impact. North and west of me was a disaster.

Snow lasted longer in the Woodstock weenie areas well beyond the rest of the state save NW hills

Yeah, it looked like a warzone here in Tolland.  We lost power for 8 days, but a 15 minutes drive southeast to the UConn campus, and it was like a different world.  Many of those living on campus had no idea how crazy the storm was, since Mansfield barely lost power at all, and the tree damage was nothing compared to areas just NW of there.

Yeah, it looked a warzone here in Tolland.  We lost power for 8 days, but a 15 minutes drive southeast to the UConn campus, and it was like a different world.  Many of those living on campus had no idea how crazy the storm was, since Mansfield barely lost power at all, and the tree damage was nothing compared to areas just NW of there.

Certainly one of the most memorable storms in years around here.  Coming on the heels of Irene we lost power for most of a month in all of 2011.  Hopefully that helps people prepare for the next big one, when ever it does come.  I was away for a lot of the recovery but was here for the first couple of days.  I'll never forget the shotgun blast sounds all night when it was snowing!

BTW, I like the last 2011 posters comment about clearing his board and measuring a total of 18.9" but could only measure 16.5" on the ground.  That's the reason I measure at the end of snowfall, not clearing a board and adding the numbers up.

Certainly one of the most memorable storms in years around here.  Coming on the heels of Irene we lost power for most of a month in all of 2011.  Hopefully that helps people prepare for the next big one, when ever it does come.  I was away for a lot of the recovery but was here for the first couple of days.  I'll never forget the shotgun blast sounds all night when it was snowing!

BTW, I like the last 2011 posters comment about clearing his board and measuring a total of 18.9" but could only measure 16.5" on the ground.  That's the reason I measure at the end of snowfall, not clearing a board and adding the numbers up.

Yeah, the shotgun blasts were unreal, certainly something I've never experienced before.  During the afternoon we were standing in the street with our neighbors just watching huge limbs come crashing down every minute or two.  We lost a large tree in our backyard (6 feet from the house) during the middle of the night, which felt like an earthquake from inside the house. 

How much snow did you end up with?  I never got a measurement I was confident in, but our yard seemed to have between 8-10 inches. 

Do you have the link to the AFDs leading up to this storm from NYC?

Yeah, the shotgun blasts were unreal, certainly something I've never experienced before.  During the afternoon we were standing in the street with our neighbors just watching huge limbs come crashing down every minute or two.  We lost a large tree in our backyard (6 feet from the house) during the middle of the night, which felt like an earthquake from inside the house. 

How much snow did you end up with?  I never got a measurement I was confident in, but our yard seemed to have between 8-10 inches. 

I recorded 11.5" from that storm - just a couple days before we had another 1.1 for 12.6" for the month.  Snowiest October ever!

Do you have the link to the AFDs leading up to this storm from NYC?

It looks like all I have are the snowfall maps:

http://www.stormmonitoring.com/archive/20110127_Snow/

I think I had several things going on and couldn't grab those like I usually do.  You can try this site:

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/

They archive text products going back to 2001.

Archived