joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memorable but doesn't match October 11 or Feb 13. Just as memorable as Feburary 1994 or January 1996 IMO.

That didn't make the cut.

Yea well your area did not have the epic totals and snow OTG that we did. Record roof failures and 40 " OTG totals in NE CT basically historical .Plus I got in an 8 per hour mega burst with winds 45+

Yea well your area did not have the epic totals and snow OTG that we did. Record roof failures and 40 " OTG totals in NE CT basically historical .Plus I got in an 8 per hour mega burst with winds 45+

Though in this area jan 1996 was more anomalous with snow OTG. You guys missed the worst of both oct 11 and feb 13.

That should...that's nearly 3 per year in a 5 year span. That's like 150% above yearly average or something crazy

Unless it's a sig tor... Meh. Even in the last 10 years I think the number of reports and info on damage is increasing so quickly we're getting a spike in weak tors. Tornado climo for F0/F1 is a mess.

October 2011 was just so over the top......I'll never forget walking around the block at midnight or so and hearing all the trees cracking and snapping and dropping limbs.....I'm not talking small twigs either.....whole limbs were coming down...and then the power lines were all over the place.....I walked in the middle of the road and was constantly looking up.....one guy was outside in shock after a massive oak came down on his house.....it was just recently repaired.....that was a scary night when I finally decided to go to bed....

Then the power issues.....9.5 days here.....just a tremendous event....

I dont remember after the blizzard of 96 snow otg all that exceptional in central ct where I lived in Bristol...the storm put down 16-18 inches of snow and we had 2 feet on the level on the ground...i would think otg totals in jan 11 had to rival that in much of central ct esp after the jan 26-27 event

i know places in west central ct had otg totals around three feet after the jan blizzard 96

I dont remember after the blizzard of 96 snow otg all that exceptional in central ct where I lived in Bristol...the storm put down 16-18 inches of snow and we had 2 feet on the level on the ground...i would think otg totals in jan 11 had to rival that in much of central ct esp after the jan 26-27 event

i know places in west central ct had otg totals around three feet after the jan blizzard 96

BDL had record 38" otg.

In terms of most memorable storms I'd say Blizzard 2013, Sandy, Irene, October Snowstorm, Springfield tornado are all up there. 

I was a bit too young to appreciate July 1989 or Gloria.

there were a few big blizzards in the early 90's if i recall.  then again, I was half the height I am now- so my memory is skewed.

During last year's blizzard, I know someone in southern CT where they had a decently long, uphill driveway.   The plow guy, who had a landscaping company, had to bring in a small excavater to get the driveway cleared.  Cost over $800 for that storm, alone.  About a dozen houses in that neighborhood had to get the same thing done!

I put together this story for a weather special that aired Friday evening at my station. I figured you guys would like the look back at both the 2011 and 2013 storms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aydfSbcyjjQ

Chills...I doubt I ever see anything like either of these in my lifetime again.  Thanks for putting it together

there were a few big blizzards in the early 90's if i recall.  then again, I was half the height I am now- so my memory is skewed.

During last year's blizzard, I know someone in southern CT where they had a decently long, uphill driveway.   The plow guy, who had a landscaping company, had to bring in a small excavater to get the driveway cleared.  Cost over $800 for that storm, alone.  About a dozen houses in that neighborhood had to get the same thing done!

Yup...I was one of the plow guys that had to leave two clients high and dry and have them call in an excavator.  I felt horrible, but there was nothing my F250 could do against what I was up against at some of these driveways.

Usually I take a walk outside during storms too, but that was the first time I didn't because of how dangerous the situation was. Trees and limbs were falling everywhere..wires down on parts of my street for about a week.

Yeah, same here.  We walked across the street with flashlights, but wires were down all over our neighborhood, so we couldn't go very far.  It was dangerous just being outside, with gunshots of huge limbs falling every minute or two.

This storm should have been the final nail in the coffin to the phrase "ground is too warm" and "snow will have trouble sticking during daylight."

When pics were coming in of the south coast of CT getting plastured with cement midday, you knew the storm meant business. I remember at like 11am the ob at ORH was 35/24 or some crap with overcast skies, lol. It wasn't even that marginal for snow...it was such a cold boundary layer over the interior for October.

The only thing missing was the tropopause kissing Phil's forehead.

That was the only part of the storm that underperformed....it got shunted just a shade east. If it had wrapped up a little further west (probably all this was due to some convection nuances) then I think winds would have been even stronger down there and we likely would have seen a better finale over eastern MA to the storm in terms of a 3-5 hour period of heavy snow.

did not relies how meh this storm was for Boston metro, only a inch? most of nyc metro-west got more then that. What happen? dry slot?

Longitude FTL. Ocean. Just inland to the SW and NW of BOS got a good 4-7". Bit of a dryslot prevent the NW suburbs of BOS to receive more, but once you got about 35+ miles NW of BOS there was near and over a foot.

Archived