Newest Member
    joxey
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't know if this had been posted:

The storm received a preliminary rank of Category 1 on the Northeast Snowfall Impact Scale (NESIS), which takes into account snowfall accumulation in populated areas, making it the only ranking storm to occur during October on record.

Yeah, it was posted in the man forum, I believe, sometime last week. Pretty cool.

Saw on the news that there is a tree in some town in CT believed to be around 500 years that received substantial damage during the storm and lost quite a few limbs and is being held up by wires or something.

Must be talking about the Granby Oak which I posted about on page 135. It's on Day Street off route 20 a couple miles West of Granby center.

Here's a picture, you can find undamaged photos online to compare it too. The amazing symmetry the tree had is long gone now

post-1913-0-04795400-1321363011.jpg

Must be talking about the Granby Oak which I posted about on page 135. It's on Day Street off route 20 a couple miles West of Granby center.

Here's a picture, you can find undamaged photos online to compare it too. The amazing symmetry the tree had is long gone now

post-1913-0-04795400-1321363011.jpg

Yup that's the one.

That's remarkable, that sucker is nearly 500 years old...or believed to be around that and it's THIS storm which destroys most of it. Insane.

That's remarkable, that sucker is nearly 500 years old...or believed to be around that and it's THIS storm which destroys most of it. Insane.

I think the tree is around 450 years old and in that time I doubt its ever seen 18" of snow while still leafed out or if it did see anything somewhat comparable to that it happened when it was still a 'small' tree.

I think the tree is around 450 years old and in that time I doubt its ever seen 18" of snow while still leafed out or if it did see anything somewhat comparable to that it happened when it was still a 'small' tree.

This may be one way to see if something like this storm happened in the past 300 years, as that tree at 200 years old was "Old and Big". That is Such a Horribly sad picture. Hopefully the tree can continue to live and grow. There was another picture on here of a very old tree that lost about 60% of it's branches. Really really really sad.

Idiots at BDL..The 12.3 was the final total as I have been posting all along based on working nearby and witnesses that live in Windsor/Windsor Locks..but it did snow after 1:00am

At the very least if they are going to have 12.3" as the final, they need to make Oct 29 like 9-10" and Oct 30 2-3". Having it be 12.3" and then 0.0" makes no sense.

12.3" is not final. The 12.3" is the 10/29 measurement... the additional snow total for 10/30 is still up in the air but NWS hopes to resolve it soon.

The measurements:

1pm - Trace

7pm - 4.6"

Midnight - 5.5"

1am - 2.2"

There were some issues with how the 12.3 was measured but that's what we've got (it is likely a bit low).

I imagine an extra 2" or a bit more fell after 1 a.m.

Hire Wiz ASAP , CT is an embarrassment with everything lately. What a clusterpuck.

:lol:

I've been calling every few weeks regarding the weather observing position however, the guy in charge there, Tracy Fowler, said they are on a hiring freeze until further notice. I guess they are rewriting new regulations and such and they have to wait for this to go through. This was supposed to be finished by October 1st but no clue when it will be completed.

I just don't understand these measurement issues lately, they seem to be occurring with storms that overlap a day...start at night and continue into the next day. I just don't understand how they are going about the math on the measurements. Say if on the day of the 29th they had a total of 12'' but after midnight they received another 4''...how hard is it to total that 16''? Am i not understanding something here...when they came up with a total of 20.3'' how were they doing the calculations?

12.3" is not final. The 12.3" is the 10/29 measurement... the additional snow total for 10/30 is still up in the air but NWS hopes to resolve it soon.

The measurements:

1pm - Trace

7pm - 4.6"

Midnight - 5.5"

1am - 2.2"

There were some issues with how the 12.3 was measured but that's what we've got (it is likely a bit low).

I imagine an extra 2" or a bit more fell after 1 a.m.

Are those times in DST? If they had 2.2" between 4z-5z (5z-6z if not DST) I'd think they had more measurable after that. Maybe they use the OWS new math.

Archived