amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are service wires? From the street to the house? Half of my neighborhood has underground wires. Not my half, lol. The contractor got cheap as he went along.

This is from Public Service of Wisconsin

http://psc.wi.gov/th.../electric11.pdf

The estimated cost for constructing underground transmission lines ranges from 4 to 14 times more

expensive than overhead lines of the same voltage and same distance. A typical new 69 kV overhead

single-circuit transmission line costs approximately $285,000 per mile as opposed to $1.5 million per

mile for a new 69 kV underground line (without the terminals). A new 138 kV overhead line costs

approximately $390,000 per mile as opposed to $2 million per mile for underground

Service wires are the wires from the transformer at the pole to the house itself. That article above is for transmission lines which is really big money. Running some street distribution underground is more expensive, but not outrageous.Actually, what a lot of utilities are getting into are smart meters. It will be a new GIS type system that will let the utility know which house is out of power. This system will save time on damage assessment and coming up with a plan to restore power.

Service wires are the wires from the transformer at the pole to the house itself. That article above is for transmission lines which is really big money. Running some street distribution underground is more expensive, but not outrageous.Actually, what a lot of utilities are getting into are smart meters. It will be a new GIS type system that will let the utility know which house is out of power. This system will save time on damage assessment and coming up with a plan to restore power.

Yeah... I read the article (skimmed mostly) and realized it was for the big guys. Smart meters are a good idea.

I can't believe tolland is cancelling their Feb Vaca. I have a feeling a lot of kids will be out "sick" during that week (in florida).

They have missed 10 days (incl Tuesday as well). Few folks travel during Feb anyway (10% if that...). One problem is the cost of heating the schools in Feb is more than in April or way more than October. Schools around here cancelled Feb or April vacations after 2008 Ice event. We were supposed to have a professional development day tomorrow (local election day) and they instead have the kids coming in (thank goodness). We will make up the PD later on (June?) since it is in our contract.

They have missed 10 days (incl Tuesday as well). Few folks travel during Feb anyway (10% if that...). One problem is the cost of heating the schools in Feb is more than in April or way more than October. Schools around here cancelled Feb or April vacations after 2008 Ice event. We were supposed to have a professional development day tomorrow (local election day) and they instead have the kids coming in (thank goodness). We will make up the PD later on (June?) since it is in our contract.

Yeah. Imagine if NE hits the trifecta this year with a crippling icestorm too?

Ok that works if its just CT that has an outage. If another cane hits and If multiple states are out like NJ, PENN, NY, MA, VT, NH, RI, and ME then what? All of those states are going to be requesting crews. There has to be another solution other than getting crews here.

We have crews here from all over the country. I've seen trucks from Missouri, Michigan, Maine, Tennessee, North Carolina , Virginia and Florida.

A lot of the more main streets in my area have the lines underground, while the side streets have overhead lines. The system also seems to have a series of breakers that trip if there is a lightning strike. The couple of times we lost power this summer was from a close strike..one of which hit the pole about 50ft from my place...N-Star came and seemingly just flipped a switch after making sure everything was ok. I wish I knew more about the grid system...but pretty cool you can just flip a switch now.

Yeah. Imagine if NE hits the trifecta this year with a crippling icestorm too?

I've been thinking seriously about that the last week...and am pretty convinced there is going to be a damaging icestorm this winter. It's the only wx phenomenon we haven't had yet this year. We even had a quake. I'm locking a December icestorm..LALALALA locked

We have crews here from all over the country. I've seen trucks from Missouri, Michigan, Maine, Tennessee, North Carolina , Virginia and Florida.

I know. What I'm saying is what if its multiple states that have major outages? Then the crews from Missouri, Michigan, Maine, Tennessee, North Carolina , Virginia and Florida will be dispersed over several states, instead of just CT. There has to be an internal change as well.

I've been thinking seriously about that the last week...and am pretty convinced there is going to be a damaging icestorm this winter. It's the only wx phenomenon we haven't had yet this year. We even had a quake. I'm locking a December icestorm..LALALALA locked

Ice storm and massive X-class solar flares? That would complete the year lol.

I thought about that up in NH this weekend. I think someone in NE could have a pretty good icestorm this year. Might be NNE, but with a Nina that may have a good se ridge..and perhaps a +NAO at times...it's possible for sure.

I thought about that up in NH this weekend. I think someone in NE could have a pretty good icestorm this year. Might be NNE, but with a Nina that may have a good se ridge..and perhaps a +NAO at times...it's possible for sure.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking..I could see interior SNE crushed witha 1- 2 inch icestorm,,,while sleet saves the day north of ORH and 2-3 feet of snow farther north. In a ninait can and probably will happen

Yeah exactly what I was thinking..I could see interior SNE crushed witha 1- 2 inch icestorm,,,while sleet saves the day north of ORH and 2-3 feet of snow farther north. In a ninait can and probably will happen

:lol:... Steven King's storm of the century. Do we tap into weathafella's juju?

I know. What I'm saying is what if its multiple states that have major outages? Then the crews from Missouri, Michigan, Maine, Tennessee, North Carolina , Virginia and Florida will be dispersed over several states, instead of just CT. There has to be an internal change as well.

The problem is this...why did MA get the outages fixed so much more quickly than CT? Perhaps CT had slightly more damage, but it does not explain this discrepancy. I understand fully how this was a damaging storm and yes people have to understand this, but what's going in CT is uncalled for.

Cue Wiz's psychic story from yesterday? CL&P's struggles lead to triumphs in the storm of the century.....

We don't need any more ice storms here. 2008 was enough for a while.

The problem is this...why did MA get the outages fixed so much more quickly than CT? Perhaps CT had slightly more damage, but it does not explain this discrepancy. I understand fully how this was a damaging storm and yes people have to understand this, but what's going in CT is uncalled for.

Where did the storm rank in the number of Power Outages all time? (for Ct)

I really have no clue.

I don't know the personnel employed at CL&P to customer ratio. But PSNH only had 240K out at max outage, where CL&P had close to 900K out at one time. Obviously PSNH has a much smaller amount of employees. It would be interesting to compare the two. Even with more employees, bringing 900 thousand customers (along with multiple transmission line damage) is a huge feat.

I don't know why this has been brought up, but some people in NH were out of power for 3 weeks after the icestorm.

Archived