e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October 29/30 Snowstorm OBS thread

ChrisM

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys know I always complain about BDL's totals and this storm seems to be no exception. Every big storm they get more than me, every single time, that's when you know there's a problem. I know I don't over measure, heck I came in with 17" last January. I just don't see how in this storm they could get more. The Bakersville co-op is pretty close to me at a similar elevation and he had 18.6"

Also the first 15.7" had a w.e. of 2.01, the last 3.2" was 0.18"!! when I was out there late I remember saying "s--t, this is powder on top".

You guys know I always complain about BDL's totals and this storm seems to be no exception. Every big storm they get more than me, every single time, that's when you know there's a problem. I know I don't over measure, heck I came in with 17" last January. I just don't see how in this storm they could get more. The Bakersville co-op is pretty close to me at a similar elevation and he had 18.6"

Also the first 15.7" had a w.e. of 2.01, the last 3.2" was 0.18"!! when I was out there late I remember saying "s--t, this is powder on top".

Congrats epic storm for you, bout those annual totals I predicted for ya....... LOL who loves ya baby

Congrats epic storm for you, bout those annual totals I predicted for ya....... LOL who loves ya baby

I was overdue that's for sure. Not sure if anyone will believe this but this was my second biggest storm since I started measuring in Oct 1996!! Only Feb 2001 had more.

with a free 19" in October all I need is an average winter now for your prediction to come true!!

unless they cleared every 6 hours i had 14 to 16 inches sunday morning so 20 inches wouldnt be out of reach..

Technically BDL's snow for the 29th and 30th is missing, so who knows what the record books will ultimately show. Originally it was 12.3 and 8.0 respectively, but it is no longer. Nothing will be official until Dec/Jan time frame anyway.

Technically BDL's snow for the 29th and 30th is missing, so who knows what the record books will ultimately show. Originally it was 12.3 and 8.0 respectively, but it is no longer. Nothing will be official until Dec/Jan time frame anyway.

Interesting, do you have the QPF radar estimates for that area. With CocoRahs reports and obs here seems 2 inches W/e looked about right

Interesting, do you have the QPF radar estimates for that area. With CocoRahs reports and obs here seems 2 inches W/e looked about right

I wish I saved them. Maybe dendrite has it since he has that nice radar loop for the whole storm. I totaled 1.22 inches of water equivalent for 1.9 inches, so perhaps BDL's W.E. wasn't far off. I think BDL's 10/30 snow total gets amended. I doubt they got eight inches of snow after 1 AM as the storm was winding down.

Got power back today!! Company out of Joplin, MO was all over the place.

What a storm!! 18.9" was my total with a w.e. of 2.19".That's my 'official' snow board total. Was interesting measuring out there in the middle of the night with cracking left and right in the trees. Can somebody point to a full storm radar loop?

Nice to see no matter how well I do in a storm BDL finds a way to top me.

Pretty good carnage to the trees here. I took a couple hundred photos but it will take quite a while to go through them, too many things to do.

Thanks for posting! What was your max depth?

BOX pulled the BDL total pending further investigation.

Yeah and further west too...if anything, his official snow board total confirms BDL was inflated by several inches.

Further southwest... not due west.

Based on radar it would appear that they were in a similar band for most of the storm with a slight edge to Collinsville over BDL. That coupled with the increase in elevation for the Collinsville ob shows that yeah the BDL total is high.

Given a 18.9" Collinsville total and a 15" max depth in Suffield I think 17" or so is a reasonable estimate for BDL's final snowfall.

BDL had 12-13. No more and no less

They definitely had more than that. I had a depth of 12" Sunday morning at a lower elevation, further south, and in worse banding. Clearing every 6 hours probably would have given me a couple inches inches higher than 12" for a final total.

Ryan, you interviewed the Gov? , what time is that on?, more outages? see Goshen went completely out due to substaion failure?think they make 99 on Sun?

in a couple minutes.

I don't know if they will... some places are awful. West hartford, Farmington, Avon, and Simsbury still have countless roads closed with more snapped power poles than I can count.

Further southwest... not due west.

Based on radar it would appear that they were in a similar band for most of the storm with a slight edge to Collinsville over BDL. That coupled with the increase in elevation for the Collinsville ob shows that yeah the BDL total is high.

Given a 18.9" Collinsville total and a 15" max depth in Suffield I think 17" or so is a reasonable estimate for BDL's final snowfall.

18" is possible I guess... but what is absolutely incredible... even if it's a 17" total it's a top 10 snowfall for BDL and it happened in October. That's remarkable.

Got power back today!! Company out of Joplin, MO was all over the place.

What a storm!! 18.9" was my total with a w.e. of 2.19".That's my 'official' snow board total. Was interesting measuring out there in the middle of the night with cracking left and right in the trees. Can somebody point to a full storm radar loop?

Nice to see no matter how well I do in a storm BDL finds a way to top me.

Pretty good carnage to the trees here. I took a couple hundred photos but it will take quite a while to go through them, too many things to do.

Just got power back as well, I was awaiting your total. Just an amazing event here, congrats us total wise for once lol

Thanks for posting! What was your max depth?

The most I measured straight off the ground was 16.5" but it was still snowing pretty good so I'd guess between 17-18". I would like to have spent more time measuring as it was winding down but dam your life was on the line out there with the branches/trees coming down . Many people said they hid in the basement through the night, I'm out there taking snow cores, lol :weenie:

18" is possible I guess... but what is absolutely incredible... even if it's a 17" total it's a top 10 snowfall for BDL and it happened in October. That's remarkable.

I don't think they had that much based on other valley reports. Both to their north and south.

Tomorrow is clean up day. Found a buddy with a chainsaw. Will be out there all day. Also am going to have take down a few trees that were shredded..Basically just the trunk and some broken , dangling branches..dangling like a weenie. Maples took a beating,,as did some of the OAks

I don't remember you having that many trees in the yard per se...aren't many of the damaged ones in the woods??

BDL the new West Chesterfield?

BDL has built a recent track record for inflating totals. I think they reported like 13 or 14" in Boxing day last year. Then came in with some obscene totals during the back to back norluns Jan 7-8.

So its easy to be skeptical of them...esp when they blow away every other valley totals...even when taking into account the 6 hour method which really wouldn't have added all that much more (maybe 2 inches max?) given the type of snow we were dealing with.

Archived