12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I did a analysis between 2001 and 2011 and I found some surprising similarities both in the summer pattern and the following Fall pattern. That summer was dry and warm across the Great Lakes region like this year, had a wetter than normal October and warm November --_____--. That Winter featured a +NAO/-PNA mostly with a neutral ENSO.

F**k no. Anything but 2001-02. That Winter was the the most cr**piest Winter ever lol.

If anything this current Nina is resembling the late 60's to late 70's ENSO. Think about it. 1969-70 was a El Nino followed by a 2 year Nina then a Strong Nino in 72-73, then a -ENSO anomaly from 73-76, then a +ENSO anomaly from 76-78. 2006-07 was a El Nino then a 2 year Nina, then a strong Nino in 2009-10, a Strong La Nina last year and perhaps another La Nina this year? Notice the similarities? With that being said the 70's Nina's are good reference points. A repeat of 1970-71 would be golden.

As others have pointed out, very little chance this winter resembles 2001-02 in any way (though as horrible as it was, the Great Lakes region did a lot better than the northeast)....but in this part of the Lakes theres actually not even that similarity that you pointed out. Here, summer 2001 was warm and dry, summer 2011 warm and wet. Oct 2001 VERY wet, Oct 2011 had below normal precip.

There are signs that the flip will come around the 20th. Though the trough may be still a bit far west, have to wait.

Couldnt have asked for better. Ive been wishing snow away until then as I will be out of town Nov 13-20 on a cruise. Dont want to miss any snow. By afternoon Nov 21st it can start snowing and keep on snowing for the rest of the 2011-12 season!

fwiw looks like the first flakes will be possible thursday evening here.

lol gfs.. good thing for josh that won't happen.. Bad thing for josh is he is still going on a cruise lol. I was dumb enough to give a cruise vacation a 2nd chance and sadly it wasn't an Alaskan one. I'd rather suck a hospital mop, but to each their own.

Not giving it any credence but the GGEM also has a storm in that same time frame, though I give it <5% of verifying at this point.

Isn't this the same timeframe that previous runs had a deep low in the upper Midwest?

At one time the GFS did while the Euro and GGEM were quicker. GFS i think is now quicker with that low in Canada by the 16th. If you look at the images i posted toward the bottom of the last page of the 0z GFS, this is a different piece of energy that turns into something interesting.

Not giving it any credence but the GGEM also has a storm in that same time frame, though I give it <5% of verifying at this point.

never know.. at least there is some colder air in place after the cutter to tap in to if something does ride up.. Quite the roller coaster on the models.. I just hope we can flip to winter around dec 1st like last season... having my doubts anytime before that but i don't look at the projected PNA, NAO, AO, ABC, XYZ and etc indices so who knows

never know.. at least there is some colder air in place after the cutter to tap in to if something does ride up.. Quite the roller coaster on the models.. I just hope we can flip to winter around dec 1st like last season... having my doubts anytime before that but i don't look at the projected PNA, NAO, AO, ABC, XYZ and etc indices so who knows

I think after thanksgiving we will start having colder air to work with.

Meaningless stats, but Novembers that are +2º or warmer at the WL COOP, go on to have a warm December 57% of the time...so not really a dominant sign there per se. Of the last four Nina Novembers that were +2º or warmer, three of them had warm Decembers...small sample size and all.

With the looming Prospects of a torched Nov Im reminded on why one should never weenie out this early in the game. God help help this crew/region if Dec torches. It will be a bloodbath of broken hearts and frustration. I'm now saying my prayers for a -NAO and other thinga to add to the wish list.

Archived