e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the total snow in Toronto in 1974-75?

In Detroit, we saw the earliest freeze (Sep 22) and earliest snow (Oct 1) on record. January was mild with light snow here as well, but overall it was a great winter. On top of the Dec 1st storm that dropped 20" over metro-Detroit, a storm at the beginning of April dumped 20" near Flint and Saginaw.

At Detroit, this was the 3rd of 7 consecutive winters with either above normal snowfall and/or snowcover. Since averages oscillate, but that was coming off the sucky 1930s-1960s period, Ill use a base of 40" for avg snowfall and 50 days for average 1"+ snowcover days.

1972-73: 45.0" snow, 38 days 1"+ snwcvr (mild with slightly above average snowfall)

1973-74: 49.2" snow, 57 days 1"+ snwcvr (near normal temps but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1974-75: 63.1" snow, 65 days 1"+ snwcvr (mild but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1975-76: 55.9" snow, 68 days 1"+ snwcvr (near normal temps but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1976-77: 43.9" snow, 67 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowcover)

1977-78: 61.7" snow, 91 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowfall and snowcover)

1978-79: 35.6" snow, 60 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowcover)

total snow for Toronto that winter was 124.5 cm (don't quite know what that would be in inches). In Ottawa there was 227cm in total.

http://weatherintoronto.blogspot.com/p/snowfall-averages.html

Keep it up there, its still only November 11th.. When december comes let er rip and let it all drain down into the CONUS!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Agree.. Early cold outbreak in Nov means a mild Winter.

The Good news its a lot of cold air banked up. Its coming just relax and when it comes its parked here. Expect it after the 22-26th timeframe

December 1st is 55 degrees? Winter cancel, bring back out the bikinis. That said, it is time for mother nature to cancel this pattern asap.

Eh she can run with it awhile longer. I don't mind the ups and downs. Seeds of change in the last week of Nov/first week of Dec, full throttle winter by mid Dec. Though I don't know/think that it will necessarily happen that way...

Eh she can run with it awhile longer. I don't mind the ups and downs. Seeds of change in the last week of Nov/first week of Dec, full throttle winter by mid Dec. Though I don't know/think that it will necessarily happen that way...

I think so many have forgotten climo due to being spoiled with winters recently. Many of the storied winters of years past didnt get going until mid-late December. And on the flip-side, people here view 2005-06 as such a non-winter yet we were inundated with snow from Thanksgiving to Christmas (and a very mild Jan-Mar). Its like whatever happens before Christmas gets lost in peoples minds when looking BACK on a winter, yet when looking AHEAD to a winter that is on the doorstep, many have a do or die attitude if all is not cold and wintry by late Nov or early Dec.

That said, I DEFINITELY want winter to hit by late November, but if it doesnt, it is NOT winter cancel.

Im leaving for a Carribean cruise tomorrow, so talk to you all Nov 21st!

I think so many have forgotten climo due to being spoiled with winters recently. Many of the storied winters of years past didnt get going until mid-late December. And on the flip-side, people here view 2005-06 as such a non-winter yet we were inundated with snow from Thanksgiving to Christmas (and a very mild Jan-Mar). Its like whatever happens before Christmas gets lost in peoples minds when looking BACK on a winter, yet when looking AHEAD to a winter that is on the doorstep, many have a do or die attitude if all is not cold and wintry by late Nov or early Dec.

That said, I DEFINITELY want winter to hit by late November, but if it doesnt, it is NOT winter cancel.

Have fun!

I think warmer Novembers is a good thing but thats me.

I think people were so hyped up from the winter outlook forecasts by different meteorologist that most said cold and very snowy. I blame mediathumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was just catching up on my reading here and was about to post thoughts similar to Josh's. I wouldn't mind if we have a cromartie torch until mid December as long as the rest of the winter is cold and snowy. People wouldn't even remember that the first 2 weeks of met winter was warm. I guess that my personal preference is to have a shorter, more intense winter over a longer drawn-out, crap mix of winter/torch. In the menatime, I am going to enjoy my sunny and 60 today!

I was just catching up on my reading here and was about to post thoughts similar to Josh's. I wouldn't mind if we have a cromartie torch until mid December as long as the rest of the winter is cold and snowy. People wouldn't even remember that the first 2 weeks of met winter was warm. I guess that my personal preference is to have a shorter, more intense winter over a longer drawn-out, crap mix of winter/torch. In the menatime, I am going to enjoy my sunny and 60 today!

We're pretty much on the same page. Anyway, last November was essentially a torch here and winter turned out just fine. Not that it guarantees anything for this winter...

And speaking of last November, today was the last day of a fairly notable 5-day warm stretch here (70, 73, 74, 76, 74).

Enjoy! :sun:

Archived