Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

What I had...

Nice!

And once a snow weenie always a snow weenie. You'll love winter and I'll win the winter snowfall contest if my horrible dream of last night comes true. I was feeling a little more optimistic about winter and then the dream had to happen.. would be a worse winter than a couple of the late 90's early 2000's

Did an all day sit in the tree and seen nothing as usual. I was ready to jet out but then the snow started and I had something to watch until the so called prime hrs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll love winter and I'll win the winter snowfall contest if my horrible dream of last night comes true. I was feeling a little more optimistic about winter and then the dream had to happen.. would be a worse winter than a couple of the late 90's early 2000's

Need details.

Like constant 60's and sun...or what? :lol:

Found this on the LSX website, tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the great November 11th cold front. Links below to the LSX, EAX, and SGF write ups.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/?n=11/11/1911coldsnap

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/?n=great_blue_norther

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/eax/?n=nov_11_1911

From the LSX write up...

The Dramatic 11/11/1911 Cold Front

A cold front moved through the central part of United States on Saturday, November 11, 1911 causing one of the most dramatic temperature drops ever recorded over such a large area of the United States. An excerpt from the annual climatological report written by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Weather Bureau (the predecessor to today's National Weather Service) described the front like this: "The fall in temperature on the 11th was remarkable; the maximum temperatures up to about 2 pm were of summer heat, but by 7 p.m. over most of the Section (Missouri), freezing conditions obtained. As a rule the fall was 50° in less than three hours; and 65° to 70° in eighteen to twenty-four hours; in many instances there was a fall of 25° to 30° in the first twenty minutes. The cold wave was immediately preceded by typical thunderstorm conditions; some local damage was done by both wind and hail.

Another Weather Bureau report noted: "In St. Louis the temperature was 75° at 6:10 pm on the 11th, when the change began, and in 10 minutes it had fallen to 49°, and by 1 a.m on the 12th it had fallen to 17°."

Lost any hope for a change to extended winter like weather before dec. That is all great and fuzzy as long an extended winter starts showing up on long range models in a couple weeks without pulling the rug from beneath the weenie range looker in me. longer the models and pattern stays volatile and rug pulling, I will stay very pessimistic about a good winter as march has been MIA.

John Dee says late start to winter but then rocks out with weenie's out.. I hope ole man winter has his blue pills prescription locked and loaded and has no restraining order on mamma nature.

1 to 2 inches of snow on the ground here in Spring Lake, Mi. Areas right at the lakeshore don't have anything.

Looking at a total of 2-3 here depending on what that band ( that does not seem to wanna quit ) does? Was nice to see everything plastered in white and what was great was the flake size which was the 1/2 dollar size flakes when it was coming down hard. :D

Anyways i am pretty happy as i did not expect this much.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that a winter like 1974-75 is a distinct possibility. That winter wasa second year La Nina, as is this one. November 1974 saw a superstorm in November, just like this November has. The previous winter (1973-74) had some similarities to last winter, while the summer of 1973 was hot, much like the summer of 2010 in this region. people in Michigan would like a repeat of 1974-75, but it was virtually snowless in Toronto!

On the bright side, that dud of a winter (74-75) was followed by four good winters in a row.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that a winter like 1974-75 is a distinct possibility. That winter wasa second year La Nina, as is this one. November 1974 saw a superstorm in November, just like this November has. The previous winter (1973-74) had some similarities to last winter, while the summer of 1973 was hot, much like the summer of 2010 in this region. people in Michigan would like a repeat of 1974-75, but it was virtually snowless in Toronto!

On the bright side, that dud of a winter (74-75) was followed by four good winters in a row.

What was the total snow in Toronto in 1974-75?

In Detroit, we saw the earliest freeze (Sep 22) and earliest snow (Oct 1) on record. January was mild with light snow here as well, but overall it was a great winter. On top of the Dec 1st storm that dropped 20" over metro-Detroit, a storm at the beginning of April dumped 20" near Flint and Saginaw.

At Detroit, this was the 3rd of 7 consecutive winters with either above normal snowfall and/or snowcover. Since averages oscillate, but that was coming off the sucky 1930s-1960s period, Ill use a base of 40" for avg snowfall and 50 days for average 1"+ snowcover days.

1972-73: 45.0" snow, 38 days 1"+ snwcvr (mild with slightly above average snowfall)

1973-74: 49.2" snow, 57 days 1"+ snwcvr (near normal temps but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1974-75: 63.1" snow, 65 days 1"+ snwcvr (mild but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1975-76: 55.9" snow, 68 days 1"+ snwcvr (near normal temps but above average snowfall and snowcover)

1976-77: 43.9" snow, 67 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowcover)

1977-78: 61.7" snow, 91 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowfall and snowcover)

1978-79: 35.6" snow, 60 days 1"+ snwcvr (brutally cold, above average snowcover)

I wasn't born yet, but the best event of the 1974-75 winter in Toronto was the April 2nd, 1975 blizzard which dumped close to 10" of snow. I don't have the stats in front of me currently, but I think the total snowfall that winter season for downtown Toronto was close to 50" (around 121 cm).

Archived