EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
GLOV November obs/disco thread

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 60's today, hard to believe that one year ago today it looked like this: I agree that 60's in November are just awful. Especially now with sunsets occurring at 5 o'clock, you can't even enjoy the nice weather outside this month.

5152291579_d2e33e5d17_z.jpg

With 60's today, hard to believe that one year ago today it looked like this: I agree that 60's in November are just awful. Especially now with sunsets occurring at 5 o'clock, you can't even enjoy the nice weather outside this month.

Wow, that's crazy. None of the official sites had any measurable snowfall last November. For YNG, that was only the third time in recorded history no snow fell before December 1. I didn't realize parts of northeast Ohio had so much snowfall last November.

Wow, that's crazy. None of the official sites had any measurable snowfall last November. For YNG, that was only the third time in recorded history no snow fell before December 1. I didn't realize parts of northeast Ohio had so much snowfall last November.

Yes. It was a lake effect event. The flow wasn't favorable for snow to be recorded at CLE though. There was about 7" in Beachwood/Shaker Heights, but a more widespread 4" for the east side of Cleveland and suburbs. It didn't snow again for about 4 weeks.

Hmm I did a analysis between 2001 and 2011 and I found some surprising similarities both in the summer pattern and the following Fall pattern. That summer was dry and warm across the Great Lakes region like this year, had a wetter than normal October and warm November --_____--. That Winter featured a +NAO/-PNA mostly with a neutral ENSO.

F**k no. Anything but 2001-02. That Winter was the the most cr**piest Winter ever lol.

If anything this current Nina is resembling the late 60's to late 70's ENSO. Think about it. 1969-70 was a El Nino followed by a 2 year Nina then a Strong Nino in 72-73, then a -ENSO anomaly from 73-76, then a +ENSO anomaly from 76-78. 2006-07 was a El Nino then a 2 year Nina, then a strong Nino in 2009-10, a Strong La Nina last year and perhaps another La Nina this year? Notice the similarities? With that being said the 70's Nina's are good reference points. A repeat of 1970-71 would be golden.

who knows: perhaps the Occupy Toronto and Ottawa movements will luck out as they camp out throughout the winter.:devilsmiley:

Novembers typically suck.. They remind me of may in spring..stuck inbetwen the warmth and chill. For instance today is beautiful but 60 in November sucks. Esspecially when Christmas music is playing on the radio. Going to be honest.. Im a tad shocked that the long range is delaying the cold shots and to hear some places have yet to bust the freezing mark. But needless to say I shouldn't forget about last years insane November torch. December is the most logical and historical month for this region to see measurable snow. Yea we can see flakes and a coating to an inch... But I can't remember the last time I've seen a true snynaptic snowstorm in Nov. I guess I'm patently awaiting the first real event.. And for my area that usually means a mixed precip event. Lol

I like Mild Novembers it allows me to finish projects.

Nov 2004 didnt it bring 3-8 inch event for SEMI? Thats the last big November event I can remember.

I like Mild Novembers it allows me to finish projects.

Nov 2004 didnt it bring 3-8 inch event for SEMI? Thats the last big November event I can remember.

There was a Thanksgiving storm in 2004 that was mostly north of Metro Detroit and then another in 2005 that hit Ann Arbor fairly hard for rush hour the night before Thanksgiving. Then in 2007 there was a light snow for Oakland/Genesee Counties.

There was also a huge Thanksgiving snowstorm bust in 2002 or 2003 that had high potential, but there were marginal temps and it was mostly rain.

Starting to wonder if this Winter will be the most noteworthy and historic the GL area has seen in many years. Almost every (not all but most) Winter forecast is going all balls on the cold and snow. Is it really the 70s all over again? Or the early 1900s. We shall see.

The active fall with many GL cutters and Ohio Valley storms has to be at least a decent sign for the winter; my concern is that November ends up being the active month (when it is difficult to get snow to begin with), then in December the NAO blocking becomes unfavorable for the Great Lakes and Upper Midwest and everything is suppressed or a coastal.

On the plus side, models come out a hour earlier. They need to push the end of daylights saving time back to mid-October like in the olden days.

Or just do away with it completely. What would be so bad about living on standard time all year?

(Of course really we should all just learn to live on GMT....there, now I've derailed the thread devilsmiley.gif)

I love the east side of town, always good for a dumping. But I must say this November has been very benign though I can now procrastinate and hold off finding a snow plow guy for a few more weeks, which will hopefully save me a few bucks.

Long evenings>cooler sooner/models out earlier.

No contest.

I respect your opinion, but I have to defer differ. Whether it gets dark at 8:30 or 7:30 doesn't bother me all that much. Except maybe for chasing it would be annoying. I mean yeah, technically initiation would occur an hour sooner too but you would still feel ripped off.

I do recall a 5" snowfall in mid November sometime between 2001 and 2004.

Since 2002 Biggest Events in SEMI that I could Find. Pretty much blah.

2002 http://www.crh.noaa....s_nov262002.php

I Was there (Port Huron)...pretty sweet :)

2004 http://www.clickonde...715/detail.html

2005 http://www.crh.noaa....now200511241317

2007 http://www.crh.noaa....now200711221432

2008 http://www.crh.noaa....now200812011531

Well there was 1951. That was a good year for November.

November 7, 1951, a snowstorm that started on November 6 came to an end across Southeast Michigan. The storm left Saginaw with 12.7 inches of snow, Flint 13.4 inches, and Detroit 5.6 inches. This storm was the 5th heaviest snowstorm in Flint history, and the 14th heaviest for Saginaw.

:scooter:

Well there was 1951. That was a good year for November.

November 7, 1951, a snowstorm that started on November 6 came to an end across Southeast Michigan. The storm left Saginaw with 12.7 inches of snow, Flint 13.4 inches, and Detroit 5.6 inches. This storm was the 5th heaviest snowstorm in Flint history, and the 14th heaviest for Saginaw.

:scooter:

Nothing beats Thanksgiving weekend 1974thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was the 3rd year of the Nina.

Interesting similarities to this year though, despite this year not being the third year of a Nina. Very mild start to November in these parts, with a coolish December and a very cold January, before a flip to torch conditions in February 1976. Janauary 1976 was probably one of the colder Januaries Toronto has seen in the past 50 years. Cold weather finally arrived around November 20th of that year, kind of what I've heard Joe Bastardii is hinting at on his site.

http://twitter.com/#!/BigJoeBastardi

Archived