CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moving on to mid/late November

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it's active and delivers a good stretch of sustained winter.

I'm even fine with below normal temps and less snow....just not torch and dry / or cutters

I think Will said the avg snow with a -QBO Nina for BOS was around 50" anyways...so I'm not being particularly bullish. I thought perhaps a more active sun may shift around the NAO causing things to be less wintry than last year. One of a few things, but I'm pretty sure we won't have blocking like last year.... perhaps still an overall weak -NAO average? I'm not solar savvy..shall we say, but I do think there is a solar connection.

I think Will said the avg snow with a -QBO Nina for BOS was around 50" anyways...so I'm not being particularly bullish. I thought perhaps a more active sun may shift around the NAO causing things to be less wintry than last year. One of a few things, but I'm pretty sure we won't have blocking like last year.... perhaps still an overall weak -NAO average? I'm not solar savvy..shall we say, but I do think there is a solar connection.

Going out on a limb, there....on that note, I'll bet against an October 2012 HECS.

Going out on a limb, there....on that note, I'll bet against an October 2012 HECS.

Yeah not a tough forecast, but it was that combo of blocking and then a great Pacific from the MJO that helped us out. What I was referring to, is that weaker blocking and some other factors make going for heavy snow a little more questionable compared to last year.

Anyone remember what KA had to say RE this winter....

Remember that KA only gives a winter forecast for the DC area.

KA is forecasting overall average temps (coldest for Feb) and snowfall of 20-24 inches (150% of normal).

http://fortysouthwx.com/index.php?/topic/2255-ka-winter-outlook-2011-12/page__pid__35450#entry35450

MDstorm

I mentioned 1979 earlier. The more seasoned people like us can remember that far back. LOL and it was an ugly 70+ on Thanksgiving Day... Then the winter produced under 30 inches of snowfall.

Warm Thaksgivings aren't always a bad omen, but I guess that one was.

uote name='HubbDave' timestamp='1321315763' post='1118601']

I keep fixating on 1979-1980... any similarities with the current regime?

Really, my only reasons are a couple of weird wx events that happened both in that year and in 2011...

My God does this wx pattern blow and for the foreseeable future as well. Only real potential to look forward to on the GFS is next week as the front slowly sags southward and potentially stalls over our region as it fights off the SE ridge and as this occurs a wave or multiple waves of low pressure could form along the front. Perhaps something similar to October 27th?

Wow the gloom is palpable. I'm not worried.

It's really quite funny how people are ready to cancel Winter. Fools.

Do you have any radiant heat outdoor surfaces? Wa-Wa just put that in. Weird. And their new lift is coming along nicely.

All the side walks in Whistler village are radiant heated, no shovelling.

This fall is a complete torch. Aside from the absolute insanity of 10/29 and 10/30....there is still stuff that shouldn't be living or attached to trees right now.

Maybe where you are but here things are as they should be. Vicious Winter coming.

81 for you 65 for scooter

All this no end in sight torch talk is just silly repetitive BS. Nice cold shot right in front of us. Flakes for some too, sure it warms up again, how more typical can a step down be.

Thank god for you Steve, I'm about ready to stop reading here because of the constant droopy dog posts. I still have piles of snow from the 31+" that fell Halloweenie Week. All the same people will be saying "I was never really worried" when the blitz starts. Why would you be cancelling Winter on 11/15.? The Hammer of Ullr will fall.

W-FELLA flipping his forecast because he finally noticed chubby tree rats was the kiss of death and all i needed to realize this winter is going to suck. Be glad for the oct snows where ski mgr is still sending his rock ski's down his last 1' pile of snow like he's at the boy scouts box car derby..

brutal euro ending.. AMT except shiny dome.

Archived