• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

Same rules as past contests...1 point per day for wrong dates, lowest score wins. Guess the date of the first freeze (32F or lower) at the 3 airports plus RIC for Midlo:

IAD:

BWI:

DCA:

RIC:

Deadline is 2 October.

Tiebreaker: High temperature at BWI on the same day.

My guesses:

BWI: 26 Oct

IAD: 26 Oct

DCA: 17 Nov

RIC: 2 Dec

Tiebreaker: 62F

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guesses:

BWI: 26 Oct

IAD: 26 Oct

DCA: 17 Nov

RIC: 2 Dec

Wouldn't this be amongst the latest first freeze ever for Richmond? I know I grew up in the western suburbs but seems like most years you could count on frost well before Halloween and the true freezes were inevitably not that far behind. For the 5 years we spent in Powhatan, I don't think we had a single growing season persist beyond mid October even in an otherwise warm year.

Wouldn't this be amongst the latest first freeze ever for Richmond? I know I grew up in the western suburbs but seems like most years you could count on frost well before Halloween and the true freezes were inevitably not that far behind. For the 5 years we spent in Powhatan, I don't think we had a single growing season persist beyond mid October even in an otherwise warm year.

Don't know. The maps that MNTransplant posted in the other thread showed 1-10 Nov as the average date. So, I doubt 2 Dec is the latest, but maybe it is.

Don't know. The maps that MNTransplant posted in the other thread showed 1-10 Nov as the average date. So, I doubt 2 Dec is the latest, but maybe it is.

December 2 is the latest freeze on record at the current RIC location. 06 November was the latest freeze on record at Chimborazo Park prior to RIC being the official station.

Oddly enough, even Charlottesville has a later first-freeze date than any in Richmond: 03 December.

The latest first freeze in Virginia belongs to Tangier Island in the middle of the bay with 23 December.

The latest on the western shore belongs to... wait for it... yes, that's right, you guessed it, Reagan National Airport with 22 December.

Why the hell not...

IAD: Nov 5

BWI: Nov 6

DCA: Nov 12

RIC: Nov 12

Tiebreaker (BWI high): 50

-----

DCA would require a -15 departure to score a low of 32 in late October... the earliest low at or below freezing was on Oct 10.

IAD would only need a -8 departure in late October... earliest freeze was on Sep 24.

BWI would need a departure of -10... earliest freeze was on Oct 4.

RIC would need a departure of -13... earliest freeze was on Oct 3.

Archived