joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the GFS, we may be weeks away from a freeze.

let's hope so. at least we can be happy we didnt get the biggest snow of the year in october like many up north probably did. :P i mean i'd take it but it's going to be hard to match going forward.

I'm a little confused... if we didn't officially hit freezing here in Richmond, then why is AKQ discontinuing frost/freeze advisories? Granted, here at my house, we hit 27* (I live down in a hole protected from the wind) and my broccoli transplants are really hating me today... pretty sure I'm going to lose them. The direct sown plants seem to be doing much better.

I'm a little confused... if we didn't officially hit freezing here in Richmond, then why is AKQ discontinuing frost/freeze advisories? Granted, here at my house, we hit 27* (I live down in a hole protected from the wind) and my broccoli transplants are really hating me today... pretty sure I'm going to lose them. The direct sown plants seem to be doing much better.

They implied in the morning AFD that freeze products would be needed again. But, practically all areas west of the fall line received a killing frost last night. So, it would make sense not to issue them for many of the same counties. But, I'm not sure they will place Henrico County under a warning just to take the airport's failed performance into account.

BTW, many locations well east if I-95 hit freezing or below even without a warning. They should've at least given a frost advisory just as a precaution despite the possibility of higher winds in these areas.

Wind might've been too much of a factor for many areas last night. Tonight should be a bit more favorable-- IAD should do it again, but I'm concerned about DCA more than any other station.

DCA is still almost 3 weeks off its avg first freeze so not to crazy to see it miss.

BWI officially hit yesterday just before midnight (31F at 1149pm) and RIC hit today. Wxjunkie got RIC right on with a 31-Oct guess. Midlo got BWI right on with a 30-Oct guess. All comes down to DCA...

If I have my calculations right, Bethesda wins if it is 11/8 or earlier, H20 wins if it is between 11/9 and 11/15, and nw balt wx wins if it is 11/16 or later. Is that right? Midlo and myself got into way too much trouble with the late RIC guesses.

bwi and iad right

Indeed. You're in 4th place so far.

So far, with 3 of the 4 airports decided, BethesdaWx holds a narrow 1 point lead over H2O, who holds a narrow 1 point lead over nw baltimore wx.

I'm in 2nd to last place thanks to my RIC call :arrowhead:

Bethesda has November 5th for DCA, which looks possible, as the 6z GFS is advertising the 32F isotherm right along I-95 that morning, but I suspect it will take more than that for DCA to get to the magic number. 00Z Euro is even colder for Saturday morning with most folks in the upper 20s. Euro also has similar temps on the morning of the 6th. H2O has the 12th, which isn't looking quite as good. Temps seem fairly seasonable for the next 2 weeks if you believe the GFS.

If I have my calculations right, Bethesda wins if it is 11/8 or earlier, H20 wins if it is between 11/9 and 11/15, and nw balt wx wins if it is 11/16 or later. Is that right? Midlo and myself got into way too much trouble with the late RIC guesses.

You got it. Except if it's on 11/15, then H2O and nw balt wx will tie. The high yesterday at BWI was 54F, which means nw balt wx would win since his tiebreaker entry is 56 and H2O's is 58.

No big deal, but I was just wondering...too much time on my hands today. :) There were four picks and two have had their first freeze with two to go. If someone hits the other two right on how would you score that? A tie?

No, only DCA hasn't hit. RIC hit a few days ago.

Archived