joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HPC had a couple QPF forecasts in a row yesterday with a Greencastle bullseye from Lee. I posted one early in this thread.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Caught the tail of that line here. Great light show up your way.

Aren't there storms heading your way?

Aren't there storms heading your way?

I've had thunder and lightning around since before dark. Only a couple of showers so far, as I've been right on the eastern edge. Looks to be slowly advancing east though. Expecting thundershowers the rest of the night by the look of radar.

LWX really bumped up POPs here with their evening update.

Looks like Gettysburg is getting crushed. I have been seeing distant lightning for a couple of hours. Still hope for a rogue storm overnight me thinks. Very humid, high dew points, like during Irene out there now.

Gonna be some thunder in the hills this week. :)

00Z NAM just joined in with the last run of the GFS. Big totals.

I wouldn't limit the flooding and extreme rainfall threat to only PA. It looks to me like western NC, wrn VA and eastern WV into PA all have threats for extreme rainfall. Exactly where it fall this far out is always a question. The interaction of the system with a front will put a max intially on the west and northwest side of the storm. The easterly flow into the mountains complicates thing and argues there also may be a max along the east slopes of the mountains especially as the system gets far enough north and east to give a deep erly component to the winds on the north side of the low.

I have a new theory.

The eastward progression of the rain shield is so slow, that I think it may slip NE.

I think that northern VA may get a couple inches of rain at most - clouds all week - and mainly some drizzle - but that New England is in for another 8 to 14 inches of rain from this system

The eastward progression is very slow - and that may be its saving grace for us in DCA and N VA.

Most of the moisture will slide northeastward before it ever gets to us.

I would not want to be in the northeast right now. Vermonters are desperate people - and this impending flood is going to push them right over the edge.

NWS should scale back forecast amts for N VA and DCA, to 1-2 inches with occasional showers through about Tue afternoon, then mostly cloudy skies with drizzle.

If you live in the northeast - Get out NOW - You all need Evan Almighty to build you an ark

Tornado Watch for south-central VA including Roanoke, Lynchburg: http://www.spc.noaa....tch/ww0844.html

ww0844_radar_init.gif

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

Mod (50%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

Low (20%)

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

Mod (30%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Low (10%)

Impressive -

From the p.m. LWX discussion:

.HYDROLOGY...

RFC HAS PROVIDED US W/ FCST RVR STAGES FOR THE NEXT SVRL DAYS. IT

IS..OF COURSE...DIFFICULT TO FCST RVR STAGES DAYS IN ADVNC WHEN

ONLY THE 1ST DROPS HV BEGUN TO FALL. BUT USING A FCST OF 5-8.5"

OVR THE NEXT 72 HRS PRODUCES THESE NUMBERS:

PTMC RVR MAJOR STAGE FCST

PAW PAW 32` 39.7` THU MRNG

HANCOCK 35` 37` THU AFTN

WILLIAMSPORT 28` 34-36` THU

PT OF ROCKS 25` 25` THU

SHENANDOAH RVR MDT STAGE

MILLVILLE 15` 14` THU

THESE WL OBVIOUSLY BE WATCHED/UPDATED SVRL TIMES IN THE COMING

DAYS. ALL W/ INTERESTS ON THESE RVRS SHOULD BEGUN TAKING PRECAUTIONS.

Paw Paw at 39.7 ft is a problem. At 40 ft.:

THE RIGHT BANK OF THE RIVER FLOODS EXTENSIVE SECTIONS OF THE TOWN OF PAW PAW...

NORTH OF THE B&O RAILROAD.

Hancock at 37 ft. would also be bad: At 35 ft. water inundates 20 to 30 homes and 5 or more businesses in the west end of town.

Seems like a low prob - relatively small coverage area. The mesoscale disco that came before it seemed to indicate a trend downwards in threat.

It's just quite a bit out ahead of lee vorticity. I guess the other max in the northern stream near the lakes must have aided it. Wed seems like it could be potentially interesting but I guess something is off -- haven't paid much attention last few days while gone.

From the p.m. LWX discussion:

.HYDROLOGY...

RFC HAS PROVIDED US W/ FCST RVR STAGES FOR THE NEXT SVRL DAYS. IT

IS..OF COURSE...DIFFICULT TO FCST RVR STAGES DAYS IN ADVNC WHEN

ONLY THE 1ST DROPS HV BEGUN TO FALL. BUT USING A FCST OF 5-8.5"

OVR THE NEXT 72 HRS PRODUCES THESE NUMBERS:

PTMC RVR MAJOR STAGE FCST

PAW PAW 32` 39.7` THU MRNG

HANCOCK 35` 37` THU AFTN

WILLIAMSPORT 28` 34-36` THU

PT OF ROCKS 25` 25` THU

SHENANDOAH RVR MDT STAGE

MILLVILLE 15` 14` THU

THESE WL OBVIOUSLY BE WATCHED/UPDATED SVRL TIMES IN THE COMING

DAYS. ALL W/ INTERESTS ON THESE RVRS SHOULD BEGUN TAKING PRECAUTIONS.

Paw Paw at 39.7 ft is a problem. At 40 ft.:

THE RIGHT BANK OF THE RIVER FLOODS EXTENSIVE SECTIONS OF THE TOWN OF PAW PAW...

NORTH OF THE B&O RAILROAD.

Hancock at 37 ft. would also be bad: At 35 ft. water inundates 20 to 30 homes and 5 or more businesses in the west end of town.

Shenandoah River at Charles Town Rd - What would a 14 foot flood stage do to that bridge? Would the bridge be shut down? I have some friends up there right now that are probably not going to be able to get over the mountains there because of extremely low cloud bases, producing very foggy conditions on Route 9.

How much water would there be on John Rissler Rd, for example? I've been there, personally jebwalked on that road in the snow.

I am fairly certain that DC and N VA (where I live, that is) should not have excessive rains from this, likely 1-2 inches tops.

However - the mountains are going to get dumped on. This is no time to be traveling into or thru the western Virginia or the West Virginian mountains/foothills. Rising rivers and creeks as well as lowering ceilings are a concern in those regions through Tuesday night, possibly Wednesday

Archived