Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

some rainfall stats from LWX...

* The Fort Belvoir AWOS (KDAA) reported 7.03 inches in 3 hours, which is off the charts above a 1000-year rainfall (based on precip frequency from Quantico).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/national-weather-service-ft-belvoir-rain-was-1-in-1000-year-event/2011/09/12/gIQA7PtRNK_blog.html#pagebreak

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some rainfall stats from LWX...

* The Fort Belvoir AWOS (KDAA) reported 7.03 inches in 3 hours, which is off the charts above a 1000-year rainfall (based on precip frequency from Quantico).

http://www.washingto....html#pagebreak

That's pretty amazing. Another thing that made this system unusual is that we had four straight days of at least 0.9 inches of rain per day at DCA. The last time that happened was during September 23-26, 1975, when the remnants of Hurricane Eloise produced at least an inch per day there.

That's pretty amazing. Another thing that made this system unusual is that we had four straight days of at least 0.9 inches of rain per day at DCA. The last time that happened was during September 23-26, 1975, when the remnants of Hurricane Eloise produced at least an inch per day there.

nice. i looked at 1", but probably should have done that since dca missed the one day. i left eloise out of a writeup i did last week for CWG for Friday but someone mentioned it in the comments.

Another thing that made this system unusual is that we had four straight days of at least 0.9 inches of rain per day at DCA. The last time that happened was during September 23-26, 1975, when the remnants of Hurricane Eloise produced at least an inch per day there.

I've now checked the entire official precipitation record of DC (back to 1871). These are the only two periods that there were at least 0.9 inches of precipitation each day for four consecutive days. The next closest period to achieving that was October 13-16, 1942, when there were at least 0.8 inches of precipitation each day.

Archived