• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

We've "dodged a bullet" in the city... at least it's been raining frequently for like.. forever. I'm not that convinced there is not more decent rain tomorrow at this point. The whole pattern is breaking down but it's still relatively similar. Maybe 3rd time's a charm in the middle. :P

post-1615-0-38238700-1315537483.gif

Looks like DC getting smacked on radar.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fine... You will you have to just put me on ignore because I will continue to point out your whiny posts that contribute absolutely nothing to this subforum. You got over 5" of rain so far, and since you aren't an Admin, you're expendable as you continue to whine through the winter.

You act like you are.the freakin subforum police. Excuse me, but I have NOT been the only one as you say "whining" about not getting heavy rains. 5 inches over four days is NOT impressive. Excuse me for not being able to impress you with posts. Tell you what, I'll give up my chosen career to go back to school and get my meteorology degree just so I can come back here and dazzle you.

Give me a break. I love weather. Guess I am a weenie. Storms are fun to me. Just because I don't spout meteorological facts and theories shouldn't mean I have to remain silent in this forum.

Lighten up. Your posts are by and large one dimensional as well, as I am learning.

You act like you are.the freakin subforum police. Excuse me, but I have NOT been the only one as you say "whining" about not getting heavy rains. 5 inches over four days is NOT impressive. Excuse me for not being able to impress you with posts. Tell you what, I'll give up my chosen career to go back to school and get my meteorology degree just so I can come back here and dazzle you.

Give me a break. I love weather. Guess I am a weenie. Storms are fun to me. Just because I don't spout meteorological facts and theories shouldn't mean I have to remain silent in this forum.

Lighten up. Your posts are by and large one dimensional as well, as I am learning.

5 inches is more than you got in the second half of summer alone...5 inches is more than I saw all summer. Shhhhh :)

what irene didn't do in the way of rain, Lee has accomplished. I haven't seen ellicott city md have 6 in of water half way up main street since agnes in 1975-6. Both sides of the patapsco river going thru ellicott city were calf deep in water. That's the reason the bridge over the patapsco river was built in an arch way. I drove thru ellicott city on my way to church this evening and the water was almost at flood level. and it was swirling like I haven't seen in a very long time. In all my years, I have never seen an eathquake, hurrricane, tropical storm and whatever else mother nature has instore for us the rest of the fall and winter. I remember agnes very well, and this topped that storm hands down. And to top all this off, were not done yet with the heavy rain, as it is raining moderately tonight over the area from catonsville to columba and however far you look , according to the radar on this page. This is, truly, an amazing storm in terms of the amount of water it has drooped over the balto/dc area. My best friend , in centerville, emailed me tonight that his roof is leaking. He is asking me for an arc. I laughed. He is very concerned. I woyuld be too.

Hard to believe 3" of rain is "getting screwed". Just that amazing of an event.

Yup.

It's weird. On one hand you want to experience such a cool event, but on the other it can end up really sucking if it ends up harming life or property. Looking at it objectively, I'm glad to say I got to experience it first-hand, but because of that I won't feel left out if something similar happens again and I don't cash in.

Updated Clarksburg, MD Obs:

04 Sept: 0.53"

05 Sept: 0.93"

06 Sept: 1.72"

07 Sept: 1.68"

08 Sept: 0.29" (so far at 11am)

Running Total: 5.15"

Final Thursday Obs for Clarksburg, MD:

04 Sept: 0.53"

05 Sept: 0.93"

06 Sept: 1.72"

07 Sept: 1.68"

08 Sept: 3.49" (so far at 11am)

Running Total: 7.35"

More disturbing ob is that I have found out that my basement floor is 3" below the new water table. Never flooded in the 54 year history of the house. Can't say that anymore... I sure hope we get a break tonight and the water table starts to drop.

We've "dodged a bullet" in the city... Maybe 3rd time's a charm in the middle. :P

post-1615-0-38238700-1315537483.gif

I guess it's D.C. and Frederick duking it out for leftovers. Lol. Got a hair over 5" for the event so difficult to say 'we're due' anymore! :) Irene and Lee were drought busters for us. Frankly, I hope Texas gets pounded next!

Yup.

It's weird. On one hand you want to experience such a cool event, but on the other it can end up really sucking if it ends up harming life or property. Looking at it objectively, I'm glad to say I got to experience it first-hand, but because of that I won't feel left out if something similar happens again and I don't cash in.

considering that conowingo dam, will have all of its 50 flood gates open starting tomorrow , to control the mighty susquehana river is truly amazing. I have only heard of one instance of exelon company, the owner of conowingo opening all those gates up , and that was for agnes, then this is truly an esceptional event. The townships down river of conowingo dam are being evacuated because the amount of water being released will completely flood these townships. The river's width at the dam is approximately 150 yards wide. I have seen the river in its rage and it is an amazing site. To open all the flood gates, there is some very serious water coming down the river. Flooding the townships below the dam is a very serious setback for these people.

Yup.

It's a pick your poison type thing, I was lucky and didn't get the worst, but 7-8" is enough to consider it special.

It's a pick your poison type thing, I was lucky and didn't get the worst, but 7-8" is enough to consider it special.

looking at the radar and ocnsidering my friend's location, how did you miss this much water??My friend lives in centerville, va and has gotten wacked by this storm.. There is a stream going thru glen echo, and I would be very interested in seeing how high it has gotten. It has a bridge over it for pedestrian traffic. Its about 10 ft high over the stream.

.. Flash Flood Watch now in effect through this evening...

The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for

* portions of Maryland... the District of Columbia and northern

Virginia... including the following areas... in Maryland...

Carroll... Frederick MD... Howard... Montgomery and Prince

Georges. The District of Columbia. In northern Virginia...

Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria... Fairfax... Loudoun and

Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park.

* Through this evening

* numerous showers and a few thunderstorms will continue to move

across the watch area through the day Friday. Additional

rainfall around an inch can be expected. Locally higher rainfall

amounts will be possible near thunderstorms. However... due to

saturated ground... it wont take much rain to cause flooding.

Good lord, it's absolutely ripping rain again this morning at my house. Looks like that line/blob of heavy rain that was training easy of the city backed in/filled in enough to really clip me. After Wednesday's deluge here (around 9 inches up my way) was glad to shift the focus to DC and suburbs yesterday. Sad to see this back again here this morning.

Rained a good chunk of the night too.

Ok...stop rain...now.

Got major water damage in one wall. Started with spots on the ceiling during Irene, which made me assume the wind was forcing the water in someway. Now the wall is actually puckered just below those spots on the ceiling (which have expanded). There's a thin film of water on the wall when I touch it. This is going to be a LOT of work to fix... :(

I was on 28 between Centreville and Manassas yesterday around 2:30 and was glad to have a 4X4 truck as the lanes were flooding. The last time I saw flooding anywhere like this was when Floyd came through and I was in North Carolina, though it did not have the duration of this event.

Ok...stop rain...now.

Got major water damage in one wall. Started with spots on the ceiling during Irene, which made me assume the wind was forcing the water in someway. Now the wall is actually puckered just below those spots on the ceiling (which have expanded). There's a thin film of water on the wall when I touch it. This is going to be a LOT of work to fix... :(

I feel ya. Sorry to hear it. :(

Aside from working for three hours to clean up the basement, we have spots of water in our first-floor ceiling above our fireplace. Stragely enough, there are no noticeable spots on the second floor above that spot. Also, ten minutes ago a shelf fell off our first-floor bathroom - crashed down and even smashed the toilet seat. Had no idea why that had happened. Put our hands up to the wall and it's wet, so obviously the drywall was unstable and the thing just pulled out of the wall. And it's an inside room - not against an outside wall.

USAA is getting a call today.

Archived