e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, the commute home from Merrifield, while long, was pretty cool. Stormy sky, lightning flashing (I saw a couple of CG strikes), every now and then I plowed through some standing water. I took a serpentine way home and avoided having to wait in traffic -- I'd much rather be moving. It took about an hour, but that's better than sitting on the Beltway.

Having to vac water out of the basement isn't much fun, though.

I bet the Delaney Rd bridge is under water with that screaming creek running down that steep hill. Looks to get going again around here within the next 30 mins. Tapered down to light rain but lightning and thunder just south and east heading up. SE Fairfax Cty and far eastern Prince William near Occoquan has seen nearly 10 inches just today. Incredible.

Wait a minute - I thought the Stafford storm was moving west. It's moving NORTH?

This storm is clear off the charts in terms of rain tallies locally.

If it was snow........

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

906 PM EDT THU SEP 8 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS EXTENDED THE

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

CITY OF ALEXANDRIA IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

EASTERN CITY OF FAIRFAX IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

SOUTHEASTERN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

EASTERN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 1115 PM EDT

* AT 900 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR INDICATED THE

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THAT PRODUCED EXCESSIVE RAINFALL OVER THE

CITY OF ALEXANDRIA...EASTERN FAIRFAX AND SOUTHEAST PRINCE WILLIAM

COUNTIES ARE FINALLY STARTING TO WEAKEN. HOWEVER...ADDITIONAL

RAINFALL AMOUNTS UP TO ONE-HALF INCH AND THE EARLIER HEAVY RAINFALL

OF 6 TO 11 INCHES FROM THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING WILL CONTINUE TO

RUNOFF. THUS THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING HAS BEEN EXTENDED.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL CONTINUE TO EXPERIENCE FLASH FLOODING

INCLUDE ALEXANDRIA...ANNANDALE...BURKE...DUMFRIES...FRANCONIA...

GREAT FALLS...LORTON...SPRINGFIELD...WOODBRIDGE... GROVETON...MANTUA

AND PIMMIT HILLS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS REPORTED WIDESPREAD ROAD CLOSURES FROM

FLASH FLOODING ACROSS THE WARNED AREA...INCLUDING THE CAPITAL

BELTWAY AND THE GEORGE WASHINGTON PARKWAY CLOSED NEAR ALEXANDRIA.

Maryland DOT and Police are closing the westbound Woodrow Wilson Bridge on the Maryland side. This is so that cars on I-495 will not cross over to Virginia and be stuck in the high water on the Virginia side.

Drivers should avoid the entire stretch of the Capital Beltway from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to the Springfield Mixing Bowl. The road is flooded, and there are multiple road closures.

Burke Road at its "elbow" is closed due to the "headwaters" of Pohick Creek overflowing its banks.

Already called my boss to let him know I'm working from home tomorrow. I can't take any chances with the possibility of rain tomorrow - I'll need to be here. Besides, who knows when the Beltway will reopen at the Mixing Bowl.

1.04" for the day in E. Columbia with mod, sometimes hvy, rain falling and a big slug of moisture working its way N-ward.

7.69" for the event as of 9:45pm.

The NRN edge isn't making making any progress. It's really pinching off. Fredericksburg and Warrentown so the nightmare might be over over for all but extreme southern suburbs.

LWX_loop.gif

So is this the biggest flooding event around the DC area since June 2006?

Hey, so I'm coming back from "summer hibernation"!:thumbsup: Hope you all are doing well and surviving all this heavy rain!

I was thinking the same thing in terms of June 2006, which I remember quite well. This seems kind of similar, a non-stop stream of moisture with periods of heavy rain and thunderstorms interspersed with drizzle or relative dryness. Different areas cash in at different times, but overall everyone gets drenched. But this seems a lot more prolonged (the entire week, for God's sake!), and it comes on the heels of Irene. Unfortunately I don't have a rain gauge, but here in Silver Spring, MD...easily must be in the ~4-6"+ range in terms of rainfall amounts this week by now, and ~3-4" from Irene a couple of weekends ago.

Hard to believe that at one time I was actually worried about a severe or at least bad drought, after late spring/early summer started off so dry.

Biggest miracle of the summer: power did not go out during Irene! (And that here in Montgomery County, where every time a leaf rustles in the wind the power goes out somewhere :lol: ). Maybe was due for good luck this time around, after several outages in the past year.

If anyone has the guts to...drive down to the edge of the potomac river and listen to it, it's freakin me out. Sounds like a deep rumble of thunder, I've never heard it like this before.

Like a mix between a Jet engine in the sky and rumbling thunder.

I'll try to get a look tomorrow if it's still high.

The NRN edge isn't making making any progress. It's really pinching off. Fredericksburg and Warrentown so the nightmare might be over over for all but extreme southern suburbs.

LWX_loop.gif

I wonder if those east/west oriented storms surging north to the east-northeast of Richmond will cause the storms to the south of the DC metro to push north? Full hallucination mode now :)

RUC generally keeps the line through tomorrow afternoon, but we'll see.

(shift north, shift north)

Does anyone know why it seem to be dying off as it gets north? Is the whole system just running out of steam or is it just moving so slowly that, when it does arrive, it will be potentially bad catastrophic.

Archived