joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.22" at the nearby personal wx station so far from this event. Cloud cover really accentuates the shortening days.

Absolutely. My street lights came on last night around 7 PM. I was surprised to see it so dark that early. Combined with the 60 degree temp, it made it feel like early Nov. Right now the temp is 59F. I'm used to it being around 80 already at this time of the day. It feels so good outside, especially since it was 94F on Sunday.

For the record... what are you expectations for it to be "not meh?" Less than 3 inches of rain?

I guess in this set-up with the build-up, 3+ inches is a baseline.

(I also am not exactly charged up about it either way...but the best rains sure look to be setting up back to the west or have since the moisture flow started...if I were in western MD and up into central PA, this is def not a "meh" event. Also, if your thoughts on potential severe weather tomorrow come to fruition...that would also de-"meh" this)

Supposed to head to Strasburg's return tonight. Wasn't feeling good about getting the game in, but am I crazy or do the models seem pretty light on rain for the immediate DC area today and tonight?

As for the whole storm, I wouldn't meh this thing. Got some nice heavy rain yesterday and last night.

It really does feel like a mid-fall day out there. Pretty dreary.

Supposed to head to Strasburg's return tonight. Wasn't feeling good about getting the game in, but am I crazy or do the models seem pretty light on rain for the immediate DC area today and tonight?

As for the whole storm, I wouldn't meh this thing. Got some nice heavy rain yesterday and last night.

Which is really the only thing people care about re: the Nationals.

I got rained out of a Nats game on April 16 and was going to use that ticket for tonight's game, but changed my mind when I looked at the consensus forecasts. However, I note that AccuWeather is now calling for only a 40% chance of rain 5-8 P.M. and a 51% chance 8-11 P.M. They foresee much more rain tomorrow than today.

I got rained out of a Nats game on April 16 and was going to use that ticket for tonight's game, but changed my mind when I looked at the consensus forecasts. However, I note that AccuWeather is now calling for only a 40% chance of rain 5-8 P.M. and a 51% chance 8-11 P.M. They foresee much more rain tomorrow than today.

Steer clear of Accuweather :arrowhead:

Noon AFD update from LWX

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM WEDNESDAY/...

THE BOUNDARY WILL CONTINUE TO SLOWLY MOVE NORTH AND WEST AS A WARM

FRONT TONIGHT EVENTUALLY REACHING THE SOUTHERN AND EASTERN SUBURBS

OF WASHINGTON DC BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED

ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE BOUNDARY AS TROPICAL MOISTURE CONTINUES TO

STREAM INTO THE AREA. FOR LOCATIONS SOUTH AND EAST OF THE BOUNDARY

THERE IS A CHANCE FOR T-STORMS THAT COULD BECOME ROOTED WITHIN THE

BOUNDARY LAYER. AN ISOLATED TORNADO CANNOT BE RULED OUT ACROSS

LOWER SOUTHERN MARYLAND. FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES THROUGH

TONIGHT.

THE REMNANTS OF LEE WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY

WEDNESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE WARM FRONT WILL CONTINUE

TO PUSH WESTWARD TOWARD THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS DURING THIS TIME.

A COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SURFACE LOW WILL SLOWLY MOVE

INTO THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. A BAND OF HEAVY

SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED ALONG AND AHEAD OF THIS BOUNDARY WEDNESDAY

MORNING ACROSS THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS AND SHENANDOAH VALLEY. AS THE

BOUNDARY SLOWLY PROGRESSES EASTWARD THE HEAVY SHOWERS WILL MOVE

TOWARD THE WASHINGTON AND BALTIMORE METROPOLITAN AREAS WEDNESDAY

NIGHT. A SHEAR VECTOR PARALLEL TO THIS BOUNDARY SUGGESTS THAT

HEAVY SHOWERS MAY TRAIN OVER THE SAME AREAS FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD

OF TIME CAUSING LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH

REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL WEDNESDAY EVENING AND IT MAY NEED TO BE

EXTENDED THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

THERE MAY BE A FEW BREAKS OF SUNSHINE BEHIND THE WARM FRONT

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON ESPECIALLY FOR LOCATIONS EAST OF THE BLUE

RIDGE MOUNTAINS. ANY SUNSHINE THAT DOES DEVELOP WILL CAUSE

MODERATE AMOUNTS OF INSTABILITY. MODERATE INSTABILITY WILL BRING A

CHANCE FOR T-STORMS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH

PLENTY OF LOW-LEVEL SPEED AND DIRECTIONAL SHEAR BEHIND THE WARM

FRONT ANY T-STORMS THAT DO DEVELOP WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING

ISOLATED TORNADOES.

Do you find them less accurate than other forecasting services? Speaking of which, has anyone ever attempted to do a comparative study of forecasting services, including the NWS and Weather.com?

While not able to back it up empirically at the moment, I would take the NWS forecast over AccuWeather. Then I take my forecast and put it above both of them (as most forecasters do) :P

Do you find them less accurate than other forecasting services? Speaking of which, has anyone ever attempted to do a comparative study of forecasting services, including the NWS and Weather.com?

You have to realize that any forecasting outlet that forecasts out to 15 days is a bit suspicious. Plus, the vast majority of their forecast is computer generated with little to no human input.

You have to realize that any forecasting outlet that forecasts out to 15 days is a bit suspicious. Plus, the vast majority of their forecast is computer generated with little to no human input.

I've tried a few comparisons between AccuWeather, NWS, and Weather.com, and haven't seen a lot to choose from. I will grant you that Accuweather's 15-day forecasts can be pretty funny, when on Day 1, they predict, say a high of 70 with a 10% chance of rain; and then on Day 2, revise that to a high of 60 with a 70% chance of rain. Still, a detailed study would be needed to do a proper comparison. When a service has a spectacular success or failure -- particularly with regard to snow -- that tends to be remembered, whereas less spectacular results tend to be quickly forgotten.

Absolutely. The 10-15 day range changes with model runs pretty much verbatim at accuwx.

I typically read the FD's, look at the zone, and fill in blanks with what I think will happen. Hard to go wrong when reading the NWS FD's and looking at your zone. The best part of the discussions is the analysis of the features when it is a low confidence forecast. It gives armchair guys like me a chance to make my own analysis and see what happens.

Absolutely. The 10-15 day range changes with model runs pretty much verbatim at accuwx.

I typically read the FD's, look at the zone, and fill in blanks with what I think will happen. Hard to go wrong when reading the NWS FD's and looking at your zone. The best part of the discussions is the analysis of the features when it is a low confidence forecast. It gives armchair guys like me a chance to make my own analysis and see what happens.

No arguments here!

Archived