EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have an unscientific rain gauge because it always shows more rain than the surrounding area. It's a tall glass cylinder. Diameter is about 1.5". I have it about 2 feet from my house. Any suggestions?

Right now, the measurement on the side shows 4.9".

2 feet sounds way too close to the house. You're likely getting some runoff from the roof. Keep it as far away from trees, roofs, fences, etc to get the most accurate readings. I believe 80 ft is recommended but hard to do in many cases.

Is it me or is the convection splitting before it gets to Dc? seems like some goes north east and some almost due north. Err..:-(

We really aren't progged for convection tonight anyway - we are north of the boundary. We are mainly getting non thunderstorm rain. I've been getting plenty today.

We really aren't progged for convection tonight anyway - we are north of the boundary. We are mainly getting non thunderstorm rain. I've been getting plenty today.

Yeah. I should probably read the forecast discussion before I speak.

I figured I am north of the boundary just by my temp outside, but I was at least hoping to get some decent overrunning today. It's been pretty sparse here in Arlington.

Where are you? Sterling? For some reason I can't see location on this droid phone.

Yeah. I should probably read the forecast discussion before I speak.

I figured I am north of the boundary just by my temp outside, but I was at least hoping to get some decent overrunning today. It's been pretty sparse here in Arlington.

Where are you? Sterling? For some reason I can't see location on this droid phone.

Montgomery Co - Silver Spring, MD area.

It has been raining here even when it does not show much on radar.

What's the Potomac look like right now?

It has definitely risen a bit, seems like it has to be more than forecast since the cluster of rocks I usually see are beginning to go underwater already, at flood stage it spills into the C&O canal land spit, though it is still nowhere near flood stage, 14 feet seems doable.

I thought of venturing out onto one of the spits but decided against it.

I think this event is kinda worn out - even the tropics get tired of exporting all their moisture northward after a while.

3 inches so far.

Probably hit and miss showers from now on - PA is the real bullseye after all.

It'll be a drizzly cloudy week - but no floods. Probably another half inch of rain through Friday night.

Top 5 all-time flood forecasted for the Potomac River at Williamsport, MD. Pretty damn impressive if it verifies.

THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

THE POTOMAC RIVER AT WILLIAMSPORT.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 23.0 FEET.

* MAJOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. THE CURRENT MAXIMUM FORECAST STAGE IS

35.5 FEET...FORECAST TO OCCUR MID THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACT...AT 32.0 FEET...WATER ENTERS THE WILLIAMSPORT CUSHWA

VISITOR CENTER AND TROLLEY BUILDING IN WILLIAMSPORT.

* FLOOD HISTORY...THIS CREST COMPARES TO A PREVIOUS CREST OF 34.8 FEET

ON JAN 20 1996.

Historical Crests

(1) 48.60 ft on 03/18/1936

(2) 37.00 ft on 04/27/1937

(3) 36.30 ft on 11/06/1985

(4) 36.10 ft on 10/16/1942

(5) 34.80 ft on 01/20/1996

At least in the District, this event has really been nothing more than damp, dreary, Fall-like drizzle with occasional pockets of moderate rain.. Still hoping for a good prolonged dousing. Either way, can't remember a time when it felt so much like late October on the day after Labor Day

I think this event is kinda worn out - even the tropics get tired of exporting all their moisture northward after a while.

3 inches so far.

Probably hit and miss showers from now on - PA is the real bullseye after all.

It'll be a drizzly cloudy week - but no floods. Probably another half inch of rain through Friday night.

Yeah, I am not sure how much I got here in Arlington so far, but it wasn't much. If tomorrow is anything like today, it's going to be hard to wake up.

At least in the District, this event has really been nothing more than damp, dreary, Fall-like drizzle with occasional pockets of moderate rain.. Still hoping for a good prolonged dousing. Either way, can't remember a time when it felt so much like late October on the day after Labor Day

Unless we get trained it should stay similar tho as the front lifts back north it'll warm and give us better odds for short term dumpings. This is a solid watershed event though..

updated forecast for Point of Rocks went from 27' to 31'. depending on what tonight/tomorrow bring, this could be terribly historic at a lot of spots. :(

Opequon is forecast about where we've seen it each spring for the past couple of years. But the wording of the warning says

14.2 FEET BY MID THURSDAY AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL RISES ARE POSSIBLE THEREAFTER.

Sounds like they're hedging in the event that the heavy rains last through Thursday and possibly Friday.

it's nowhere near flood stage right now up a Paw Paw at around 6 ft: http://water.weather...hs/paww2_hg.png

it's at 4 feet at Little Falls. no need for hyperbole as it's easily looked up: http://water.weather...hs/brkm2_hg.png

You're telling this to someone who literally lives right on the river at Little Falls (most of the time). You might as well ask me if you want the latest up-to-date information :sun:

I was asked:

What's the Potomac look like right now?

though it is still nowhere near flood stage

It has definitely risen a bit

the cluster of rocks I usually see are beginning to go underwater

kk?

As for flood stage:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MDZ009&warncounty=MDC031&firewxzone=MDZ009&local_place1=Bethesda+MD&product1=Flood+Watch

THE POTOMAC RIVER NEAR LITTLE FALLS.

* FROM MID THURSDAY AFTERNOON UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING.

* AT 04PM TUESDAY THE STAGE WAS 3.6 FEET.

* FLOOD STAGE IS 10.0 FEET.

* MAJOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. THE CURRENT MAXIMUM FORECAST STAGE IS

16.3 FEET...FORECAST TO OCCUR MID FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* FLOOD STAGE MAY BE REACHED BY MID THURSDAY AFTERNOON. PREPARATIONS

FOR FLOODING SHOULD BE TAKEN BY THIS TIME.

* IMPACT...AT 17.0 FEET...MOST OF THE C&O CANAL TOWPATH DOWNSTREAM OF

EDWARDS FERRY IS FLOODED. TCHIFFELY MILL ROAD IS FLOODED DUE TO

BACKWATER EFFECTS. WATER COVERS THE PARKING LOT AT THE ABNER CLOUD

HOUSE IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA.

* FLOOD HISTORY...THIS CREST COMPARES TO A PREVIOUS CREST OF 12.8 FEET

ON MAR 15 2010.

because 100% of rain means 100% in that forecast area, not your backyard.

I think it means 100% in any location, not the whole area. Or 10 of 10 times one forecasts 100% rain it rains. Radar would support it, though they do say "near 100%", and it can verify if it rains for 3 seconds.

Also, I'd trust a gauge over BethesdaWx 100% of the time. :whistle:

Archived