mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

erm, what? what an odd little creature you are.

Obviously, you know nothing about the city you allegedly live in. With a straight face, you suggest it's not possible that rainfall totals can differ in Northwest DC from DCA, or Northwest compared to Southeast. You probably think the same thing about snow. (Here's a hint -- it can be pouring down rain in downtown DC but dry and sunny when you step out a METRO station 3 stops away)

You are the odd creature. Ignorant, too, of geography and climatology.

Looks like this feeder band sticks around over 95 most of the day, and may actually drift back west a bit this evening before another slug of precip moves in overnight.

I'd maybe rather it come a bit later but we gotta play with this zone for any fun.

picked up around 1.75" so far here. the storms that rolled through at 4am had thunder that sounded like bombs going off, very intense stuff

Probably elevated still then ducting off the cool surface layer.

Obviously, you know nothing about the city you allegedly live in. With a straight face, you suggest it's not possible that rainfall totals can differ in Northwest DC from DCA, or Northwest compared to Southeast. You probably think the same thing about snow. (Here's a hint -- it can be pouring down rain in downtown DC but dry and sunny when you step out a METRO station 3 stops away)

I hadn't any idea! My apologies, didn't think we were basing regional rainfall totals off your backyard. I stand corrected.

NOW you're keepin' it REAL!

Looking somewhat interesting from the Delmarva up to the Philly Metro area for severe, with a lifting warm front. DC to Richmond need to work through this morning rain, without the cool air coming in from the west. Norfolk Metro looks to stay warm into the afternoon. I would put greater severe threat farther north and east of DC/BWI because there is more time in the warm sector. Warn front appears to be lifting toward Philly. I would watch cells in the free warm sector lifting north and interacting with that warm front. This is a situation where a localized area could get good low level shear near the boundary. Shear through the rest of the atmosphere is also supportive. However outside of my smaller zones, Delmarva to Philly and Norfolk area, believe thermodynamics are missing. Stay safe in all of the above areas. Fortunately I don't think this will be a huge severe event, esp by Plains or South standards. However rain and flooding are not what the region needs.

I don't see the issue with referring to it as "heat lightning" or "sheet lightning." We all know what it refers to, so why jump on the guy's back for it?

From NOAA's "Questions and Answers about Lightning":

CLOUD FLASHES

Cloud flashes sometimes have visible channels that extend out into the air around the storm (cloud-to-air or CA), but do not strike the ground. The term sheet lightning or intra-cloud lightning (IC) refers to lightning embedded within a cloud that lights up as a sheet of luminosity during the flash. A related term, heat lightning, is lightning or lightning-induced illumination that is too far away for thunder to be heard.

Looking somewhat interesting from the Delmarva up to the Philly Metro area for severe, with a lifting warm front. DC to Richmond need to work through this morning rain, without the cool air coming in from the west. Norfolk Metro looks to stay warm into the afternoon. I would put greater severe threat farther north and east of DC/BWI because there is more time in the warm sector. Warn front appears to be lifting toward Philly. I would watch cells in the free warm sector lifting north and interacting with that warm front. This is a situation where a localized area could get good low level shear near the boundary. Shear through the rest of the atmosphere is also supportive. However outside of my smaller zones, Delmarva to Philly and Norfolk area, believe thermodynamics are missing. Stay safe in all of the above areas. Fortunately I don't think this will be a huge severe event, esp by Plains or South standards. However rain and flooding are not what the region needs.

yeah we look like we're going to be hard pressed to get a lot of break around here so probably need spinnys to go up inside the line. issue is models dont seem to move the line too much with the trough a bit neg tilt. im not sure how much ends up breaking out as you get further northeast. the nam still has qpf max west of DC (which seems at least slightly dubious looking at radar but we'll see). there's a small punch of dry air on wv to the west trying to punch in too. i might have been bullish on the 5 torn warns for lwx but i'll go down with the weenie ship.

Archived