• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

I don't see the issue with referring to it as "heat lightning" or "sheet lightning." We all know what it refers to, so why jump on the guy's back for it?

From NOAA's "Questions and Answers about Lightning":

You do realize that heat lightning is just regular lightning... no reason to call it anything other than lightning. Some enthusiasts (like myself) find "heat lightning" to be an irritating misnomer.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah we look like we're going to be hard pressed to get a lot of break around here so probably need spinnys to go up inside the line. issue is models dont seem to move the line too much with the trough a bit neg tilt. im not sure how much ends up breaking out as you get further northeast. the nam still has qpf max west of DC (which seems at least slightly dubious looking at radar but we'll see). there's a small punch of dry air on wv to the west trying to punch in too. i might have been bullish on the 5 torn warns for lwx but i'll go down with the weenie ship.

At this point I think we're in a good spot. I don't see much happening to our NE with this line staying rather stationary throughout the day. Probably not going to see much sun today, but most of the tornado warnings we've seeing down in the SE the last few days have been spinups in convective lines. Guess we'll watch.

At this point I think we're in a good spot. I don't see much happening to our NE with this line staying rather stationary throughout the day. Probably not going to see much sun today, but most of the tornado warnings we've seeing down in the SE the last few days have been spinups in convective lines. Guess we'll watch.

yeah generally. i would have liked to see it push in a little later but maybe we'll make up for it in flash flooding. :P

North and West of I-95 has been cashing in big-time since Sunday, no?

Not quite. Just cracked 2" overnight in Frederick and that goes back to Saturday night. I believe there are two jackpots...S & E of a Charlottesville/IAD/BWI line and NW of I-81. In between has had lots of light rain (which helps) but we're still in a drought. :(

Maybe just radar hallucinations, but the batch approaching Richmond does look to have a more westerly component than the streamer aimed at DC proper.

trough should be going more neg tilt now, was still pretty close to neutral this morning.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1047 AM EDT WED SEP 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...

WESTERN PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

CITY OF ALEXANDRIA IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

EASTERN CITY OF FALLS CHURCH IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

ARLINGTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

EASTERN FAIRFAX COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...

CENTRAL CHARLES COUNTY IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 145 PM EDT

* AT 1046 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR

INDICATED A NORTH TO SOUTH BAND OF HEAVY RAINFALL EXTENDING FROM

WASHINGTON SOUTHWARD TO NEAR PORT TOBACCO...MOVING NORTH ACROSS

THE SAME AREAS. HEAVY RAINFALL OVER TWO INCHES IS LIKELY WITHIN

THIS BAND OF RAIN.

Archived